Senior Lecturer in Public Health, Health Science (SoSH)
Dr Amit Arora is a Senior Lecturer in Public Health and a National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Research Fellow in the School of Science and Health.
Amit has been teaching in the Faculty of Dentistry, University of Sydney for the past 9 years and more recently in the Centre for Primary Health Care and Equity, Faculty of Medicine, UNSW Australia for the past 12 months. While at the University of Sydney and UNSW Australia, Amit has taught various units of study within the Public Health courses such as Preventive Dentistry, Dental Health Services, Prevention and Management of Chronic Diseases, and Maternal Reproductive and Child Health.
Amit’s research interests include health promotion, life-course epidemiology, socio-economic inequality in health, prevention and management of chronic diseases and health literacy and is working internationally with researchers from USA, UK, China, Europe and India. His success in public health research career is supported by a strong track record in research output, and a number of successful competitive grants funded by National Health and Medical Research Council, NSW Health, and the Australian Dental Association. He is currently the lead investigator (CI-A) on two NHMRC Grants on common risk factor approaches to reduce socio-economic inequality in health in preschool children.
- Australia - Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, University of Adelaide, Adelaide; Curtin University of Technology, Perth; University of New Castle, New Castle; Sydney School of Public Health, Camperdown; Macquarie University, Ryde; School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Western Sydney; Sydney Local Health District, NSW Health; South West Sydney Local Health District, NSW Health; Western Sydney Local Health District, NSW Health.
- United States of America - Oregon Health and Science University, Portland; University of Iowa, Iowa City; University of Illinois, Chicago; Eli Lily and Company, Indianapolis.
- United Kingdom - University of Dundee, Dundee; Flan Clwyd Hospital, Rhyl.
- Canada - University of Calgary, Alberta.
- Ireland - Cork University Dental School, Dublin.
- Greece - Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki.
- India - Amravati College of Dental Science, Trivandrum.
- China - Siachuan University, Chengdu.
- Chronic Disease
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Populations
- Culture and Health
- Dental Health
- Global Health
- Health Promotion
- Health Services Research
- Infant feeding
- Maternal and Child Health
- Migrant Health
- Nutrition during Pregnancy, Lactation and Infancy
- Oral Health
- Society of Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiological Research (2013)
- School of Science and Health MyVoice Working group
- Collaboration for Oral Health Outcomes, Research, Translation and Evaluation Research Group
Qualifications and Recognition
- PhD University of Sydney
- National Health and Medical Research Council Early Career Fellowship Award 2013-10-23
- National Health and Medical Research Council Post-Doctoral Fellowship 2011-11-25
- India Australia Young Professional of the Year Finalist (Outcome known October 2016) 2016-08-08
- India Australia Community Achiever of the Year Finalist (Outcome known October 2016) 2016-08-08
Research & Publications