Associate Professor, School of Medicine
I trained as a Consultant Cardiac Anaesthetist and clinical researcher in Utrecht, The Netherlands. During that time, I completed a PhD around the use of high-dose corticosteroids in cardiac surgery.
In 2018 I moved to Sydney, where I have been working as a Staff Specialist at Westmead Hospital and is the Head of Research in the Department of Anaesthesia. I am a full-time Associate Professor and the inaugural academic lead for Anaesthesia at Western Sydney University, and a Clinical Associate Professor at The University of Sydney.
When not working, I enjoy reading, kayaking, swimming and, not surprisingly for a born Dutchman, bike riding.
- Inter-patient variability of the perioperative inflammatory response to major surgery
- Developing methods for registry-based perioperative outcomes research
- Australian & New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA)
- Scientific Advisor for the ANZCA Annual Scientific Meeting & Events Planning Committee
- Member of the NSW Regional Committee
- Member of the ANZCA Clinical Trials Network Executive
Qualifications & Recognition
- PhD – Utrecht University, The Netherlands
- Fellow of the Australian & New Zealand College of Anaesthetists
Research & Publications