Are you an International student?

Looks like you are viewing this page from Australia
Fees and costs

Fees and costs

Primary types of costs

International students are required to have genuine access to sufficient funds while studying in Australia. Funds should be sufficient to contribute to the cost of tuition, travel, living costs and school costs of any dependants.


  • Applicant – Return air fare to Australia
  • Family members – One return air fare to Australia per person


Annual tuition fees only cover the cost of your tuition. They do not include other
expenses associated with university study such as accommodation, books, equipment and living expenses.

  • Applicant – program fees
  • School age children aged 5-18


All students will require approximately AUD$25,000 per year to cover living expenses. Depending on your lifestyle you may require more or less than this amount (this is a rough guide only). Remember, your living expenses are separate from your tuition fees.

  • Applicant – AUD $21,041 per year
  • Partner – AUD $7,362 per year
  • Child – AUD $3,152 per year

Other costs to consider

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is a fee all students pay, that contributes to running essential on-campus services, facilities and programs. The SSAF amounts are listed on the SSAF webpage.

All of the income from the SSAF is spent on student services and amenities related to sporting and recreational activities, employment and career advice, health and welfare, study skills programs, orientation, childcare, financial advice, overseas student services, and food services. Each year we consult with students to find out what you see as the priorities for SSAF. Students can also propose ideas or give feedback on how the money should be spent.

Apart from tuition fees (for your program and subjects) and SSAF, there are a number of costs associated with studying at university. Make sure you find out what additional costs you'll have while studying at Western Sydney University.

More information on the University Costs page.

When you receive an offer of a place at the University you will usually be asked to pay for Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). This is a compulsory Health Insurance that is required for the issuing of a Student Visa. International students who are classified as AusAID sponsored, and certain categories of IDP sponsored students, are eligible for this cover free of charge.

More information can be found on the Overseas Student Health Cover page.

If you come to Australia as an overseas student on a student visa, you should be aware that you will be required to pay full fees for any of your school-aged dependants who accompany you and who are enrolled in either a government or non-government school.

More information can be found on the Bringing family page.

A study abroad student is a student who enrols for one or two sessions of study at Western Sydney University as part of their home university degree. The student's completed study then credits their study back to their home institution. Study abroad students generally come from universities that do not have official exchange agreements with host universities.

However, because of quotas restricting the number of exchange places offered each semester session, it is possible that a student from an exchange partner institution may enrol as a study abroad student. At Western Sydney University, the study abroad program for students from non-partner universities or partner universities over-quota is extremely competitively priced – and one of the most affordable university study abroad programs in Australia.


Scholarships valued up to 50% of tuition fees

More scholarships than ever before.

When you apply to Western, you’re automatically assessed for a Scholarship, no additional application required! We’re offering multi-year scholarships (for up to 3 years) valued at $6,000 or $3,000 and even 50% off tuition fees. Scholarships are awarded on academic merit.