Are you an International student?

Looks like you are viewing this page from Australia
Overseas Student Health Cover

Overseas Student Health Cover

Overseas Student Health Cover

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is insurance that provides cover on the costs for medical and hospital care which international students may need while in Australia.

OSHC will also pay for most prescription drugs and emergency ambulance transport.

If you are an international student studying in Australia and have a student visa, you must purchase an approved OSHC policy from a registered health insurance company - commonly referred to as health funds. You will need to buy OSHC before you come to Australia, to cover you from the day you arrive.

Certain scholarship holders are eligible for this cover free of charge. Please check with Western Sydney International Admissions if you are eligible for free cover. It is a student visa condition that all students maintain OSHC throughout their stay in Australia.

Be aware that while OSHC represents excellent value in health insurance, it does not cover every medical circumstance or cost. You should note the exclusions given in the policy information document and benefits. We may not pay some or all of the costs for other services.  For further information, please refer to Understanding Your Health Cover and the Important Information Guide.

New OSHC arrangements at Western Sydney University

As a student visa holder you will need to have a valid Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your student visa. This is a requirement of the Immigration Department, for more information visit Student Visa Conditions.

The University now uses Bupa as its preferred provider. Refer to the Bupa OSHC website for the benefits of purchasing Bupa OSHC.

Commencing students

You will need to purchase the standard OSHC singles, couples or family (for spouse or dependants) cover through the University at the time of your acceptance to the program.

It is important that you think carefully about your expected health needs and consider the best level of cover for you.

Once you have purchased OSHC you will be guaranteed health cover from the time of your arrival in Australia on a student visa. Please refer to your offer letter for OSHC Information.

For more information please contact or visit a Student Services Hub or the Student Welfare officer on your campus or your friendly Bupa representative.

Continuing students

If your cover expires you should immediately renew it as having a current OSHC is a condition of your student visa. If you extend your visa you are required to renew your OSHC for the remaining period of your visa as it remains a requirement for the duration of your student visa. 

You can contact Bupa for assistance to purchase OSHC.

Continuing students who have cover with Allianz Care Australia

If you are a continuing student with existing OSHC with Allianz Care Australia , please refer to the Allianz Care Australia website for details about your policy and how to contact Allianz for OSHC policy assistance. All continuing students should note that upgrades are available. Upgrade options (dental care, travel insurance etc) are available by purchasing the upgrade directly from Allianz Care Australia.

What if I'm from Belgium, Norway or Sweden?

Belgian Students

As a result of an agreement between the Australian and Belgian governments, all Belgian students are considered to have met 'adequate insurance' requirements on the basis of the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between Australia and Belgium. If you are a Belgian student, you will not have to take out OSHC to meet your visa requirements. For further information about your visa requirements please see the Australian Government immigration and visa website.

Norwegian Students

As a result of an agreement between the Australian and Norwegian governments, all Norwegian students are provided with adequate health insurance by the Norwegian government and are waived the compulsory OSHC visa requirement.

Swedish Students (restrictions may apply)

Swedish students may be waived the compulsory OSHC visa requirements. Swedish students whose insurance is provided by Kammarkollegiet will not need to take out OSHC. If you are a Swedish student who is not covered by Kammarkollegiet, you will need to take out OSHC.

How do I access my Bupa OSHC?

  • Have your Bupa membership number on hand
  • Register for myBupa at Register for myBupa - Create Your Profile| Bupa or download the myBupa app on your phone from the App Store or Google Play.
  • Under the I'd like to .... section of the home page select 'update my personal details'
  • Select 'Membership Address'
  • Add or update your address and click "Submit"

Make sure you have your membership number handy before you start. You will need your membership number, your individual email address or mobile number registered to your policy and date of birth to create your Login Id and Password.

If you are seeing the error message "One or more details do not match the membership", verify the details you have keyed in are correct.

  • It's a good idea to confirm the details match what is listed on your Bupa membership card.
  • Or check any recent documents Bupa has sent to you to confirm how we have captured your details if you are unsure.

If you are not able to resolve it, please call us on 134 135.

How do I order a card?

Once you've updated your address in myBupa and have arrived in Australia, you will need to order our OSHC membership card that is necessary to use your health cover. It is easy to do, just follow the steps below:

  • Login in myBupa 
  • Click the ‘cover’ option in the menu on the home page
  • Then select ‘Order a membership card’
  • Check your contact details are correct
  • Then select ‘order’

How to claim

Tap fast. Claim quick.

Claim with your phone by following the instructions here.

How can I get help with my OSHC policy?

There are a range of ways to get assistance with your policy: If you're an overseas student and need help with your health cover, you can contact us in several ways.


Speak to the overseas student support team. Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm (AEST).

On Campus

Monday and Wednesday: 10am - 4pm AEDT - Parramatta City Campus, Level 1

Tuesday: 9am - 4pm AEDT - Parramatta South Campus, EJa building (Student Services Hub)


Chat live online:

Bupa WebMessaging


WeChat (QR code below)

Visit a Bupa Store

Meet a Bupa consultant in-store. Find your local Bupa store.


Send an email to our overseas student support team:

24 - hour student advice line

Need assistance outside of business hours? The 24-hour student advice line can support you in 180 languages and provide assistance with a range of emergency situations.

Call: 1300 884 235

For general enquiries at other times please visit Student Services Hub or the Student Welfare officer on your campus.

We're here to help

Call +61 2 9852 5499 or contact an International Education Agent in your country.

"I love studying Law at WSU because of the practical approach they have to teaching."

— Avantika Prameshwar. Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Laws.