- Vice-Chancellor and President
- Board of Trustees
- Academic Senate
- Office of Governance Services
- Mission, Goals and Strategic Plan
- Contact Us
Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS)
The Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000, or ESOS Act, establishes legislative requirements and standards for the quality assurance of education and training institutions offering courses to international students who are in Australia on a student visa. ESOS also provides tuition fee protection for international students.
The Australian Government has released the revised National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018 (National Code 2018), which commenced on 1 January 2018.
The main purposes of the ESOS Act are to:
- protect the quality and reputation of Australian education
- provide consumer protection for overseas students
- protect the integrity of Australia's student visa system.
Administration of ESOS
The Department of Education and Training administers the ESOS legislative framework. The Department maintains a comprehensive Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) (opens in a new window) website.
It contains further information on:
- National Code 2018 (opens in a new window) and guide to its implementation - The ESOS Act is complemented by the National Code of Practice. This document provides a practical, detailed explanation of international education standards in Australia. Breaches of the National Code of Practice carry sanctions and/or fines, or for more serious breaches, suspension or cancellation from CRICOS and even jail terms. The ESOS Information for Western Sydney University Students and Staff (opens in a new window) website explains how Western Sydney University carries out its obligations under the National Code.
- National Code Factsheets (opens in a new window)
- Other useful links and information about the ESOS legislative framework
Department of Home Affairs (Immigration)
The Department of Home Affairs (Immigration) is another important government department responsible for the administration of ESOS. Its website has a lot of important information in relation to student visa matters (opens in a new window).
Only registered education providers can deliver courses for overseas students. The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) (opens in a new window) lists all registered providers and courses available to student visa holders in Australia. Information in CRICOS and PRISMS (Provider Registration and International Students Management System) form the basis of the electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE).
A valid eCOE is necessary to obtain and maintain a student visa. Immigration must be notified of any changes to the original eCOE by an authorised University staff member. The PRISMS database publishes a number of guides, including a Reporting Quick Reference Guide. The University also maintains a guide for CoE management for staff.
Managing Course Variations (PDF, 261.53 KB) (opens in a new window)
Other Useful Websites:
- Current and prospective Western Sydney University students should visit the Western Sydney International (opens in a new window) website.
- Study in Australia (opens in a new window) the Australian Government's website for international students, contains important information, such as an extensive fact sheet (opens in a new window) for student visa holders about living and studying in Australia, including your consumer rights and responsibilities as an international student and key things you should know before and during your stay.
Information for Western Sydney University Students and Staff
The accompanying webpage, ESOS Information for Western Sydney University Students and Staff (opens in a new window), provides useful information on National Code of Practice
Students and staff can contact the Western Sydney University’s Executive Governance Officer responsible for ESOS for further information or explanation.
- Mr Geza Karacsony, phone (02) 4570 1671 or email email@example.com