Are you an International student?

Looks like you are viewing this page from Australia
Group of three students sitting outdoors at a table

US Financial Aid

Loan Options

Federal Student Loans

Western Sydney University has become a "Deferment Only" institution from October 2011. This means that the University can no longer certify US Federal Student Loans (e.g. the Direct Loan Program).

If you wish to apply for funding as a US student, you may be eligible for a private loan. The only private lender currently available to US students studying at the University is Sallie Mae.

Private Loans

Private education loans are available to US citizens from private non-government lenders and approval is based on credit history.

Private education loans are also available to those students enrolled in all non-degree programs such as certificate, graduate and postgraduate diploma programs which are ineligible for Federal funding.

Presently, Sallie Mae is the only lender offering private education loans to students studying outside of the US. Please refer to their website for specific details about eligibility, how to apply, loan amounts and other terms and conditions.

If you make any changes to your enrolment (eg. leave of absence or withdrawal), please contact us at as soon as possible.

Deferring Loans

Western Sydney University can also approve deferments for students who have already received US Federal Student loans. Therefore, if you have received a US Federal Student loan and are enrolled at University of Western Sydney on at least a half-time basis, you can apply to defer repayment of those loans. Please contact your lender for the appropriate forms, which can then be certified by the University.

Important Information

Please be reminded that any funds you receive are loans that must be repaid. It is therefore very important that you understand your rights and responsibilities as a borrower.

Useful resources include:

US Veterans Affairs Education Benefits

Western Sydney University is approved to administer US Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) veteran benefits to eligible US veterans enrolled in an approved course under the GI Bill program.

Your eligibility is determined by VA. If you require information regarding eligibility, please contact VA directly.

Is my course approved for veteran benefits and how do I apply?

To apply for veteran education benefits, you need to apply on the US Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Check the list of approved programs, which can be found on the VA website – WEAMS Institution Search by entering the following information:

  • Institution Name: Western Sydney University
  • Program Type: Institution of Higher Learning
  • Select Country: Australia

Your chosen course must be approved by VA. If your chosen course is not on the list of approved programs, please contact so Western Sydney University can seek approval from the Department for you.

Email your Certificate of Eligibility to for Western Sydney University to certify your enrolment. It is your responsibility to inform Western Sydney University when you have finalised or changed your enrolment each term.

Contact Us

For further information, please contact: