Are you an International student?

Looks like you are viewing this page from Australia
Student visa

Student visa

Obtain a student visa

Before you come to study in Australia, you must obtain a student visa from the Department of Home Affairs (DHA)

  • You may not require a student visa to study in Australia if you hold another visa (other temporary visas) that allows you to enter and stay in Australia with no restrictions on study.
  • Student visas can only be granted for programs that are registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions for Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
  • Information about how to apply for a student visa and options available can be found on DHA's student visa pages.

It can take several months for your visa application to be processed so it is important to begin the application process as soon as you have accepted your offer and received an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment from Western Sydney University.

Simplified Student Visa Framework

Genuine student and genuine temporary student requirement and access to funds

You are required to apply for your visa online. The online student visa application will assess you against a range of criteria and determine the level of English and financial capacity required. You are still expected to meet other requirements such as Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE), good character, and health criteria.

To be eligible for streamlined visa processing and to apply to Western Sydney University you must be a genuine student and fulfil the genuine temporary entrant requirement and have sufficient funds to:

The Student Visa Application Process

Before you come to study in Australia, you must obtain a student visa from the Department of Home Affairs (DHA)

Students often apply for a student visa with the assistance from one of our agent representatives.

On receipt of your Acceptance to Study at Western Sydney University and fee payment, the University will create an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) which is recorded with DHA for student visa application purposes. A copy of the eCoE will be sent to you or your agent to include with your Australian student visa application.

Continuing and Commencing student

If you hold a current student visa, Western Sydney University will send you your eCoE upon receipt of your program acceptance. You must apply for a new student visa prior to the expiry of your current visa.

Bringing family

If you wish to bring children and/or your spouse (dependents) for the duration of your study in Australia, please refer to DHA's website for Information on bringing family.

You will also need to consider financial requirements to cover any family members travelling with you:

  • Health cover
  • School costs for any school-aged dependents
  • Living expenses

Visa conditions

When you are issued with a student visa, your visa conditions will be attached to the grant of the visa. See Visa conditions for Student Visa holders.

If you are in Australia on a student visa, you must maintain satisfactory academic progress at all times. The University is obliged to advise Department of Home Affairs when an International Student Visa holder is not maintaining satisfactory academic progress. This may have an impact on your student visa.

It is your responsibility as the student visa applicant or as a student visa holder to be aware of the conditions and requirements of your student visa.

If you experience any difficulties during your studies, please get in touch with your Academic Course Advisor (for academic related matters) and with Student Welfare Officer (for other extenuating circumstances).

To ensure you receive important information from the Department of Home Affairs and to satisfy your student visa conditions, you must notify the University within 7 days of any new Australian contact details, including address, phone number, email address and emergency contact details.

As a student visa holder, you are required to complete your study program within the duration specified in your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

Working in Australia

Student visas automatically grant students permission to do paid work while studying. The Australian Government temporarily removed work restrictions for student visa holders in January 2022. This temporary arrangement will end on 30 June 2023.

From 1 July 2023, student visa holders will be permitted to work up to 48 hours per fortnight while your program is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled university breaks.

You and your family members must not breach the student visa work conditions. More information is available on the Australian Government’s ‘Check Visa Details and Conditions’ page

Provide Biometrics

Applicants outside Australia

You will need to provide your biometrics at an Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) or an Australian Biometrics Collection Centre (ABCC) if you apply: 

You can: 

  • submit your visa application online where possible or by post. If we send you a letter to let you know we want your biometrics you must arrange an appointment and come into the AVAC or ABCC so we can collect them. 

For more information, including updates on AVACs or ABCCs, and opening times in your country, see: Our Offices outside Australia. For information regarding the current visa processing arrangements, see I want to apply for a visa

Applicants within Australia

Department of Home Affairs will ask you if you need to provide biometrics. 

You will need to advise the relevant processing office to let them know that you are onshore so that they can arrange the collection of your biometrics in Australia.  

More information can be found here.

Further Information

Department of Home Affairs (DHA)

Department of Home Affairs

Student Visa Eligibility

Student Visa Eligibility

Student Visa Step by step

Student Visa Step by step