Dr Yolima Carrillo is a Lecturer in the Institute. She is broadly interested in the regulation of the carbon and nitrogen cycles in terrestrial ecosystems in the context of environmental change. Her work focuses on belowground processes particularly that of decomposition, and how it is influenced by the interactions between plants species, plant root activity and soil communities (including microbes and fauna).
Prior to joining HIE she worked as a Teaching and Research Fellow at the Department of Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture of the University of Sydney, which she joined after doing post-doctoral work at the University of Wyoming (USA). She obtained a PhD in Ecology at the University of Georgia (USA) where she also obtained a graduate certificate in Conservation Ecology.
Dr Carrillo completed her undergraduate studies at the National University of Colombia
Research interests/Teaching expertise
Dr Carrillo combines field and laboratory experiments to answer questions at the ecosystem level at the plant-soil-microbe interface. As tools for her research she has used a variety of applications of stable isotope tracers of carbon, nitrogen and oxygen, microbial and whole soil community assessments as well as various chemical approaches to the analyses of pools an fluxes of carbon, nitrogen and other nutrients in plants, soil, soil microbes and the atmosphere.
Her current areas of interest include:
- Rhizosphere mediation of soil organic matter dynamics as affected by climate change factors (including elevated CO2, warming and water stress, mycorrhizal symbionts)
- Impacts of drought and drought tolerance on C and N rhizodeposition, microbial metabolism and ecosystem level C exchange
- Impact of elevated CO2 and climate warming on gross nitrogen transformations in soil
- Role of moisture regime and nitrogen-phosphorus stoichiometry on priming of soil organic matter
- Mediation by plant-root traits of rhizosphere C and N cycling processes and soil communities structure and physiology.
- Mediation by plant roots on water and nitrogen transformations via their impact on soil structure.
She co-founded and also co-leads the Stable Isotope in Biosphere Systems, a multi-institutional annual workshop directed at researchers of all levels seeking to enhance or bring stable isotope techniques to their work.
- Will trees get enough nitrogen to sustain productivity in elevated CO2? (In collaboration with Prof. David Ellsworth, Assoc. Prof. Oula Ghannoum, HIE and Dr. Sönke Zaehle, Max Plank Institute for Biogeochemistry). This Australian Research Council Discovery project (2016-2018) seeks to study the responses of mature native Eucalypt forests to elevated CO2. With a multidisciplinary approach, we ask how changes in ecosystem N balance occur, by investigating if leaf N declines under enriched CO2 directly due to the balance of plant activity versus changes in soil N availability. The research utilises the EucFACE (Eucalypt Free Air CO2 Enrichment) experiment . EucFACE is the the world's only Free Air CO2 Enrichment experiment in native forest and in mature forest. http://www.westernsydney.edu.au/hie/facilities/EucFACE
- Plant-microbe feedback mechanisms affecting decomposition and nutrient availability and interactions with climate change at the PHACE (Prairie Heating and CO2 Enrichment) experiment in Wyoming (In collaboration with Dr. Elise Pendall, Hawkesbury Institute for the Environment UWS/University of Wyoming; Dr. Dana Blumenthal, Dr. Jack Morgan, United States Department of Agriculture, Rangeland Research Unit; Matt Wallenstein, Colin Bell, Claudia Boot, Colorado State University) http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=16754 (opens in a new window)
- Environmental controls on decomposer microbial community structure and function at the landscape scale in NSW (In collaboration with Dr. Rosalind Deaker, Dr. Alex McBratney, Ms. Vanessa Pino, University of Sydney)
- Drought and fertility effects on plant/microbe N:P stoichiometry and root morphology (In collaboration with Dr. David Tissue, Hawkesbury Institute for the Environment and Dr. Feike Dijkstra, University of Sydney)
- The role of plant root activity in shaping the fate of water and nitrogen and their availability to plants via its impact on soil structure. We use cutting-edge analytical techniques to trace stable isotopes of nitrogen, oxygen and carbon into and out of plants and soil water compartments in field and controlled environment settings. (In collaboration with Asoc. Prof. Margaret Barbour and Asoc. Prof. Feike Dijkstra, University of Sydney and Assist. Prof. Kevin Simonin, San Francisco State University)
Fry EL, De Long JR, Alvarez Garrido L, Alvarez N, Carrillo Y, Castaneda-Gomez L, Chomel M, Dondini M, Drake JE, Hasegawa S, Hortal S, Jackson BG, Jiang MK, Lavallee JM, Medlyn BE, Rhymes J, Singh BK, Smith P, Anderson IC, Bardgett RD, Baggs EM, Johnson D, (2019) 'Using plant, microbe, and soil fauna traits to improve the predictive power of biogeochemical models', Methods in Ecology and Evolution, vol.10, no.1, pp 146-157
Carrillo Y, Dijkstra F, LeCain D, Blumenthal D, Pendall E, (2018) 'Elevated CO2 and warming cause interactive effects on soil carbon and shifts in carbon use by bacteria', Ecology Letters, vol.21, no.11, pp 1639-1648
Dijkstra FA, Carrillo Y, Blumenthal DM, Mueller KE, LeCain DR, Morgan JA, Zelikova TJ, Williams DG, Follett RF, Pendall E, (2018) 'Elevated CO2 and water addition enhance nitrogen turnover in grassland plants with implications for temporal stability', Ecology Letters, vol.21, no.5, pp 674-682
Ryan EM, Ogle K, Kropp H, Samuels-Crow KE, Carrillo Y, Pendall E, (2018) 'Modeling soil CO2 production and transport with dynamic source and diffusion terms: testing the steady-state assumption using DETECT v1.0', Geoscientific Model Development, vol.11, no.5, pp 1909-1928
Xue P-P, Carrillo Y, Pino V, Minasny B, McBratney AB, (2018) 'Soil Properties Drive Microbial Community Structure in a Large Scale Transect in South Eastern Australia', Scientific Reports, vol.8, no.1, Article no.11725
Carrillo Y, Bell C, Koyama A, Canarini A, Boot CM, Wallenstein M, Pendall E, (2017) 'Plant traits, stoichiometry and microbes as drivers of decomposition in the rhizosphere in a temperate grassland', Journal of Ecology, vol.105, no.6, pp 1750-1765, Special Issue: SI
De Kauwe MG, Medlyn BE, Walker AP, Zaehle S, Asao S, Guenet B, Harper AB, Hickler T, Jain AK, Luo YQ, Lu XJ, Luus K, Parton WJ, Shu SJ, Wang YP, Werner C, Xia JY, Pendall E, Morgan JA, Ryan EM, Carrillo Y, Dijkstra FA, Zelikova TJ, Norby RJ, (2017) 'Challenging terrestrial biosphere models with data from the long-term multifactor Prairie Heating and CO2 Enrichment experiment', Global Change Biology, vol.23, no.9, pp 3623-3645
van Groenigen KJ, Osenberg CW, Terrer C, Carrillo Y, Dijkstra FA, Heath J, Nie M, Pendall E, Phillips RP, Hungate BA, (2017) 'Faster turnover of new soil carbon inputs under increased atmospheric CO2', Global Change Biology, vol.23, no.10, pp 4420-4429
Canarini A, Carrillo Y, Mariotte P, Ingram L, Dijkstra FA, (2016) 'Soil microbial community resistance to drought and links to C stabilization in an Australian grassland', Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol.103, pp 171-180
Carrillo Y, Ball BA, Molina M, (2016) 'Stoichiometric linkages between plant litter, trophic interactions and nitrogen mineralization across the litter-soil interface', Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol.92, pp 102-110
Carrillo Y, Dijkstra FA, LeCain D, Pendall E, (2016) 'Mediation of soil C decomposition by arbuscular mycorrizhal fungi in grass rhizospheres under elevated CO2', Biogeochemistry, vol.127, no.1, pp 45-55
Crowther TW, Todd-Brown KEO, Rowe CW, Wieder WR, Carey JC, Machmuller MB, Snoek BL, Fang S, Zhou G, Allison SD, Blair JM, Bridgham SD, Burton AJ, Carrillo Y, Reich PB, Clark JS, Classen AT, Dijkstra FA, Elberling B, Emmett BA, Estiarte M, Frey SD, Guo J, Harte J, Jiang L, Johnson BR, Kroel-Dulay G, Larsen KS, Laudon H, Lavallee JM, Luo Y, Lupascu M, Ma LN, Marhan S, Michelsen A, Mohan J, Niu S, Pendall E, Penuelas J, Pfeifer-Meister L, Poll C, Reinsch S, Reynolds LL, Schmidt IK, Sistla S, Sokol NW, Templer PH, Treseder KK, Welker JM, Bradford MA, (2016) 'Quantifying global soil carbon losses in response to warming', Nature, vol.540, no.7631, pp 104-108
Dijkstra FA, Carrillo Y, Aspinwall MJ, Maier C, Canarini A, Tahaei H, Choat B, Tissue DT, (2016) 'Water, nitrogen and phosphorus use efficiencies of four tree species in response to variable water and nutrient supply', Plant and Soil, vol.406, no.1 pp 187-199
Mueller KE, Blumenthal DM, Carrillo Y, Cesarz S, Ciobanu M, Hines J, Pabst S, Pendall E, de Tomasel CM, Wall DH, Eisenhauer N, (2016) 'Elevated CO2 and warming shift the functional composition of soil nematode communities in a semiarid grassland', Soil Biology and Biochemistry , vol.103, pp 46-51
Mueller KE, Blumenthal DM, Pendall E, Carrillo Y, Dijkstra FA, Williams DG, Follett RF, Morgan JA, Penuelas J, (2016) 'Impacts of warming and elevated CO2 on a semi-arid grassland are non-additive, shift with precipitation, and reverse over time', Ecology Letters, vol.19, no.8, pp 956-966
Chen J, Carrillo Y, Pendall E, Dijkstra FA, Evans RD, Morgan JA, Williams DG, (2015) 'Soil Microbes Compete Strongly with Plants for Soil Inorganic and Amino Acid Nitrogen in a Semiarid Grassland Exposed to Elevated CO2 and Warming', Ecosystems, vol.18, no.5, pp 867-880
Ball B, Carrillo Y, Molina M, (2014) 'The influence of litter composition across the litter-soil interface on decomposition, nitrogen dynamics and the decomposer community', Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol.69, pp 71-82
Bell C, Carrillo Y, Boot C, Rocca J, Pendall E, Wallenstein M, (2014) 'Plant species-specific stoichiometry of soil nutrients and extracellular enzymes in a semi-arid grassland ecosystem', New Phytologist, vol.201, pp 505–517
Carrillo Y, Dijkstra FA, LeCain D, Morgan JA, Blumenthal D, Waldron S, Pendall E, (2014) 'Disentangling root responses to climate change in a semiarid grassland', Oecologia, vol.175, no.2, pp 699-711
Carrillo Y, Dijkstra FA, Pendall E, LeCain D, Tucker C, (2014) 'Plant rhizosphere influence on microbial C metabolism: the role of elevated CO2, N availability and root stoichiometry', Biogeochemistry, vol.117, no.s 2-3, pp 229-240
Dijkstra FA, Carrillo Y, Pendall E, Morgan JA, (2013) 'Rhizosphere priming: a nutrient perspective', Frontiers in Microbiology, vol.4, p 216
Pendall E, Heisler-White JL, Williams DG, Dijkstra FA, Carrillo Y, Morgan JA, LeCain DR, (2013) 'Warming Reduces Carbon Losses from Grassland Exposed to Elevated Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide', PLOS-One, vol.8, article no.e71921
Carrillo Y, Ball BA, Strickland MS, Bradford MA, (2012) 'Legacies of plant litter on carbon and nitrogen dynamics and the role of the soil community', Pedobiologia, vol.55, pp 185-192
Carrillo Y, Dijkstra FA, Pendall E, Morgan JA, Blumenthal D, (2012) 'Controls over nitrogen availability under elevated CO2 and warming in a semiarid grassland', Ecosystems, vol.15, pp 761-774
Dijkstra FA, Pendall E, Morgan JA, Blumenthal DM, Carrillo Y, LeCain DR, Follett R, Williams DG, (2012) 'Climate change alters stoichiometry of phosphorus and nitrogen in a semiarid grassland', New Phytologist, vol.196, pp 807-815
Carrillo Y, Ball BA, Bradford MA, Jordan CF, Molina M, (2011) 'Soil fauna alter the effects of litter composition on nitrogen cycling in a mineral soil', Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol.43, pp 1440-1449
Carrillo Y, Jordan CF, Jacobsen K, Mitchell K, Raber P, (2011) 'Shoot pruning of a hedgerow perennial legume alters the availability and temporal dynamics of root-derived nitrogen in a subtropical setting', Plant and Soil, vol.345, pp 59-68
Carrillo Y, Pendall E, Dijkstra FA, Morgan JA, Newcomb JM, (2011) 'Response of soil organic matter pools to elevated CO2 and warming in a semi-arid grassland', Plant and Soil, vol.347, pp 339-350
Morgan JA, LeCain DR, Pendall E, Blumenthal DM, Kimball BA, Carrillo Y, Williams, DG, Heisler-White J, Dijkstra FA, West M, (2011) 'C4 grasses prosper as carbon dioxide eliminates desiccation in warmed semi-arid grassland', Nature, vol.476, pp 202-205
Carrillo Y, Pendall E, Dijkstra FA, Morgan JA, Newcomb J, (2010) 'Carbon input control over soil organic matter dynamics in a temperate grassland exposed to elevated CO2 and warming', Biogeosciences Disc, vol.7, pp 1575-1602
Dijkstra FA, Blumenthal DM, Morgan JA, Pendall E, Carrillo Y, Follett RF, (2010) 'Contrasting effects of elevated CO2 and warming on nitrogen cycling in a semiarid grassland', New Phytologist, vol.187, no.2, pp 426-437
Carrillo Y, Jordan C, (2008) 'Modeling green manure additions in alley cropping systems: linking soil community dynamics and nitrogen mineralization', In: Towards Agroforestry Design: An Ecological Approach, eds. S. Jose & A.M. Gordon. Springer-Verlag.
Carrillo Y, Guarin A, Guillot G, (2006) 'Biomass distribution, growth and decay of Egeria densa in a tropical highland reservoir (Neusa, Colombia)', Aquatic B