- Why choose Western Sydney University?
- Find a course
- Prepare to arrive
- Study and life
- Exchange and short overseas study
- International partnerships
- Chat with an Ambassador
- Contact International
- Course Enquiry
- International Student of the Year Awards
- International Virtual Fair
Academic performance and assessment
Western Sydney University provides institutional assistance to students to achieve and maintain satisfactory academic progress and to complete their programs in the allowable period of time. The assistance is provided in a variety of ways and together they comprise the University's Intervention Strategy.
The University monitors the academic progression of all students to ensure you pass enough units to progress to graduation. Progression identifies poor academic performance while also giving you an opportunity to address your performance and seek counselling advice.
Students who do not meet the University’s academic progression requirements may be excluded from study. Being excluded means that you cannot study at this University for a period of time because your academic progress has not been satisfactory. It is reported to Immigration as a breach of student visa conditions and can result in visa cancellation.
- Academic Progression
- International Student Intervention Strategy
- Completion Within Allowable Time Period - Student Visa Holders
- Completion Within Allowable Time Period - Local and Temporary Resident Students
- International Student Transfer Procedures
Assessment Methods and Practices
The University's assessment practices may include a range of methods such as:
- formal end of semester examinations
- continuous assessment through the semester
- written assignments/essays
- field projects etc.
Students will be advised of the particular method(s) to be used at the commencement of their course.
Refer to the Assessment Policy for further information about assessment methods and practices.
As a condition of your student visa, you must maintain satisfactory attendance in your course and course progress for the duration of your degree.
Refer to the Assessment Policy for further information.
Leave of Absence
Leave of absence from study will only be granted in compassionate or compelling circumstances that prevent you from attending classes. If you are granted a leave of absence your student visa may be impacted and you may need to apply for a new student visa to remain in Australia to complete your course.
Refer to the International Student Intervention Strategy for further information.