The Agriculture and Food Science discipline focuses on ecosystems that underpin agricultural, food, and environmental sustainability. Agricultural Science has research strengths in horticultural, crop and pasture production with faculty from the School of Science and Hawkesbury Institute for the Environment.
The flagship research facility is the high-tech horticulture greenhouse at the National Vegetable Protected Cropping Centre. This is an integral component of the recent 10-year, Future Food Systems Cooperative Research Centre which seeks to increase food production using fewer resources and energy.
Western Sydney University researchers have developed an extensive network of research collaborations with international and national partners, with financial support from agencies representing the horticulture, cotton, grains, meat and dairy industries. This is a vibrant discipline that integrates research, education, and training which contributes to Western’s commitment towards the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- Dr Patrice Castignolles, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Christopher Cazzonelli, Senior Lecturer
- Associate Professor Brendan Choat
- Dr Jason Flesch, Lecturer
- Dr Marion Gaborieau, Senior Research Lecturer
- Dr Dharmappa Hagare, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Anthony Haigh, Senior Lecturer
- Professor Paul Holford
- Associate Professor Abul Huda
- Dr Christine Hutchison, Lecturer
- Professor Vijay Jayasena
- Professor Priti Krishna
- Dr Feng Li, Senior Lecturer
- Professor Basant Maheshwari
- Dr Qaiyum Parvez, Senior Lecturer
- Professor Elise Pendall
- Dr Jonathan Plett, Senior Lecturer
- Professor Jeffrey Powell
- Mr Bashir Sumar, Lecturer
- Distinguished Professor David Tissue
Ranked in the top 10 in Australia and top 150 worldwide for Agriculture and Forestry