Doctor Malik Hussain
Associate Professor in Innovative Food Production,
- PhD in Food Microbiology, The University of Melbourne, Australia (2007)
- MSc (Honours) in Food Technology, University of Agriculture Faisalabad, Pakistan (1998)
- BSc (Honours) in Agri-Food Technology, University of Agriculture Faisalabad, Pakistan (1996)
- Senior Food Safety Officer, Food Safety Unit, the Victorian Department of Health, Melbourne (2017-2021)
- Senior Science and Technical Officer, NSW Food Authority, Sydney (2015-2017)
- Associate Director, Centre for Food Research and Innovation (CFRI), Lincoln University, New Zealand (2013-2015)
- Senior Lecturer/Lecturer, Department of Wine, Food and Molecular Biosciences, Lincoln University, New Zealand (2010-2015)
- Research Fellow, Faculty of Science and Technology, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane (2008-2010)
- Australian Institute of Food Science and Technology (AIFST) (2010 - present)
- Asia-Pacific Institute of Food Professionals (APIFP) (2015 – present)
- New Zealand China Food Safety Association (NZCFSA) (2014 - present)
- Asian Association of Food Safety and Security (AAFSS) (2014 - present)
This information has been contributed by Doctor Hussain.
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Food Sciences
|Phone:||(02) 4570 1387|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 300859 Food Safety, 2022
- 301181 Food Evaluation, 2022
- 301182 Food Quality Management, 2022
- 301444 Introduction to Food Science, 2022
- 301452 Innovative Foods, 2022
- Bekhit, A., Riley, W. and Hussain, M. (2022), 'Alternative Proteins: Safety and Food Security Considerations', : CRC Press 9780367281298.
Chapters in Books
- Hussain, M., Riley, W. and Bekhit, A. (2022), 'Trends and motivations for novel protein sources and contribution towards food security', Alternative Proteins: Safety and Food Security Considerations, CRC Press 9780367281298.
- Hosseininezhad, M. and Hussain, M. (2022), 'Single-cell protein : a group of alternative proteins', Alternative Proteins: Safety and Food Security Considerations, CRC Press 9780367281298.
- Hussain, M. (2022), 'Novel protein sources : an overview of food regulations', Alternative Proteins: Safety and Food Security Considerations, CRC Press 9780367281298.
- Hussain, M. (2022), 'Food safety risks associated with novel proteins', Alternative Proteins: Safety and Food Security Considerations, CRC Press 9780367281298.
- Hussain, M. (2018), 'Molecular techniques for the identification of LAB in fermented cereal and meat products', Molecular Techniques in Food Biology: Safety, Biotechnology, Authenticity and Traceability, John Wiley & Sons 9781119374602.
- Hussain, M. (2016), 'Risk and hazard analysis of foods', Foodborne Pathogens and Food Safety, CRC Press 9781498724104.
- El-Sohaimy, S. and Hussain, M. (2023), 'Functional probiotic foods development : trends, concepts, and products', Fermentation, vol 9, no 3 .
- Hussain, M. and Bekhit, A. (2023), 'Innovative foods : the future food supply, nutrition and health', Foods, vol 12, no 7 .
- Min, M., Bunt, C., Mason, S. and Hussain, M. (2019), 'Non-dairy probiotic food products : an emerging group of functional foods', Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol 59, no 16 , pp 2626 - 2641.
- Min, M., Mason, S., Bennett, G., Hussain, M. and Bunt, C. (2019), 'Viability assessment of Bifidobacterium longum ATCC 15707 on non-dairy foods using quantitative fluorescence microscopy', Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol 167 .
- Adibpour, N., Hosseininezhad, M., Pahlevanlo, A. and Hussain, M. (2019), 'A review on Bacillus coagulans as a spore-forming probiotic', Applied Food Biotechnology, vol 61, no 2 , pp 91 - 100.
- Min, M., Bunt, C., Mason, S., Bennett, G. and Hussain, M. (2017), 'Effect of non-dairy food matrices on the survival of probiotic bacteria during storage', Microorganisms, vol 5, no 3 .
- Hussain, M., Liu, H., Wang, Q., Zhong, F., Guo, Q. and Balamurugan, S. (2017), 'Use of encapsulated bacteriophages to enhance farm to fork food safety', Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol 57, no 13 , pp 2801 - 2810.
- Jose, N., Bunt, C. and Hussain, M. (2017), 'Comparison of biochemical characteristics of lactobacilli isolates from food and bovine rumen sources under low pH and bile salt stress conditions', Chemical Engineering Transactions, vol 56 , pp 1867 - 1872.
- Hussain, M., Stitt, V., Szabo, E. and Nelan, B. (2017), 'Toxoplasma gondii in the food supply', Pathogens, vol 6, no 2 .
- Wadamori, Y., Gooneratne, R. and Hussain, M. (2017), 'Outbreaks and factors influencing microbiological contamination of fresh produce', Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol 97, no 5 , pp 1396 - 1403.
- Hussain, M., Saputra, T., Szabo, E. and Nelan, B. (2017), 'An overview of seafood supply, food safety and regulation in New South Wales, Australia', Foods, vol 6, no 7 .
- Zhu, Q., Gooneratne, R. and Hussain, M. (2017), 'Listeria monocytogenes in fresh produce: outbreaks, prevalence and contamination levels', Foods, vol 6, no 3 .
- Jose, N., Bunt, C., McDowell, A., Chiu, J. and Hussain, M. (2017), 'Short communication: A study of Lactobacillus isolates' adherence to and influence on membrane integrity of human Caco-2 cells', Journal of Dairy Science, vol 100, no 10 , pp 7891 - 7896.
- Zhang, N., Pu, Y., Sun, L., Wang, Y., Deng, Q., Xu, D., Liu, Y., Hussain, M. and Gooneratne, R. (2017), 'Modeling the effects of different conditions on the inhibitory activity of antimicrobial lipopeptide (AMPNT-6) against Staphylococcus aureus growth and enterotoxin production in shrimp meat', Aquaculture International, vol 25, no 1 , pp 57 - 70.
- Wadamori, Y., Fam, J., Hussain, M. and Gooneratne, R. (2016), 'Microbiological risk assessment and antibiotic resistance profiling of fresh produce from different soil enrichment systems : a preliminary study', Cogent Food and Agriculture, vol 2, no 1 .
Understanding the challenges associated with global food systems. My research interests are novel foods and alternative protein sources, functional foods and health, probiotics and microbial technologies, food safety and risk assessment of new food products, food safety management, global food supply chain, and food regulations.
- Novel foods and alternative protein sources
- Probiotics and functional foods
- Food innovation, nutrition, and health
- Microbiological food safety
- Risk assessment of new food products
- Fresh produce safety
- Global food supply chain challenges
- Novel approaches in food safety management
- International food standards, regulations, and policy
This information has been contributed by Doctor Hussain.