ARC Senior Research Fellow - DECRA
Associate HDR Director
Dr Pejman Sharafi is an Australian Research Council senior research fellow (DECRA), and a Senior lecturer in structural systems at the Centre for Infrastructure Engineering (CIE) at the School of Computer, Engineering and Mathematics (SCEM). He obtained his PhD from the University of Wollongong in 2013, and joined CIE in 2014. He has been involved in several independent and collaborative research projects, as well as some research-consultancy projects with building industries and automation. He has been the chief investigator of over $1.3M projects in this area. He has is the author or co-author of over 80 publications in the area of building design and optimisation. He obtained his Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Tehran, Iran; immediately followed by starting a Master in Marin Structures there, in 1998. In 2004 he joined the Building and Housing Research Centre in Tehran, Iran, and completed a Master in Earthquake Engineering. He has also been involved in several major industry projects in the oil and gas industry as a consultant for the National Iranian Gas Company for over 10 years.
Areas of Research / Teaching Expertise
Dr Pejman Sharafi has teaching experience in structural optimisation; computer aided and automated design, and advanced construction and structural systems.
His research interests include:
- Modular Buildings
- Design for Manufacture and Assembly
- Structural Optimisation
- Computer Aided Design
- Advanced Structural Systems
- Prefabricated Construction
- Cost Analysis and Optimisation of Engineering Systems
- Sustainable Buildings
- Life Cycle Cost Optimisation of Structures
Grants / Current Projects
- Guideline for the design and assembly of moment resisting steel connections in modular buildings, 2019-2021.
- ARC-DECRA – Interactions between volumetric units in modular buildings, 2019-2021.
- ARC-LIEF – Collaborative robotics for structural assembly and construction automation, 2021-2022.
- Industry Supported Research – Tyre Stewardship Australia, Protective protectiflex composite panels, 2019.
- Industry Supported Research – Material characterisation and blast simulation of Protective protectiflex composite panels, 2018-2019.
- Industry Supported Research – Automation of the light weight profile handling and storage systems, 2018-2020.
- Industry Supported Research – Design tables for CFS composite sheathed wall panels, 2016-2017.
- Industry Supported Research – Development of vacuum testing rig facility for structural panels, 2015-2016.
- VC grant – Design of innovative integrated connections for modular buildings, 2015.
Sharafi, P., et al., Automated spatial design of multi-story modular buildings using a unified matrix method. Automation in Construction, 2017. 82: p. 31-42.
Sharafi, P., et al., Identification of Factors and Decision Analysis of the Level of Modularization in Building Construction. ASCE Journal of Architectural Engineering, 2018. 24(2): p. 04018010.
Sharafi, P., et al., Interlocking system for enhancing the integrity of multi-storey modular buildings. Automation in Construction, 2018. 85: p. 263-272.
Sharafi, P., et al., Lateral force resisting systems in lightweight steel frames: Recent research advances. Thin-Walled Structures, 2018. 130: p. 231-253.
Sharafi, P., et al., Development of an Innovative Modular Foam-Filled Panelised System for Rapidly Assembled Post-disaster Housing. Buildings, 2018. 8(8): p. 97.
Usefi, N., P. Sharafi, and H. Ronagh, Numerical models for lateral behaviour analysis of cold-formed steel framed walls: State of the art, evaluation and challenges. Thin-Walled Structures, 2019. 138: p. 252-285.
Mortazavi, M., Sharafi, P., et al., Lateral behaviour of hybrid cold-formed and hot-rolled steel wall systems: Experimental investigation. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 2018. 147: p. 422-432.
Sharafi, P., Hadi, M. and Teh, L. (2013), 'Cost optimization of column layout design of reinforced concrete buildings', Metaheuristic Applications in Structures and Infrastructures, Elsevier.
Sharafi, P., Hadi, M. and Teh, L. (2012), 'Heuristic approach for optimum cost and layout design of 3D reinforced frames', ASCE’s Journal of Structural Engineering, vol 138, no 7, pp 853 - 863.
Sharafi, P., Teh, L. and Hadi, M. (2014), 'Shape optimization of thin-walled steel sections using graph theory and ACO algorithm', Journal of Constructional Steel Research, vol 101, pp 331 - 341.
Sharafi, P., Teh, L. and Hadi, M. (2014), 'Conceptual design optimization of rectilinear building frames: a knapsack problem approach', Engineering Optimization, vol 47, no 10, pp 1303 – 1323
Sharafi, P., M.N.S. Hadi, and L.H. Teh, Heuristic Approach for Optimum Cost and Layout Design of 3D Reinforced Concrete Frames. ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 2012. 138(7): p. 853-863.
Sharafi, P., M.N.S. Hadi, and L.H. Teh, Geometric Design Optimization for Dynamic Response Problems of Continuous Reinforced Concrete Beams. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 2014. 28(2): p. 202-209.