A/Prof Kejun Dong joined the Centre for Infrastructure Engineering, School of Engineering, Western Sydney University (WSU), as a Senior Lecturer in Infrastructure Computations in 2014. He earned both his bachelor and master’s degrees from Department of Applied Physics, Hunan University (China) in 1996 and 1999 respectively. He received his PhD from School of Materials Science and Engineering, University of New South Wales (UNSW) in 2007. He then worked as a research fellow and Lecturer in the world-renowned Laboratory for Simulation and Modelling for Particulate Systems (SIMPAS) at UNSW prior to joining WSU.
Areas of Research/Teaching Expertise
A/Prof Dong’s main research interests and technical expertise are simulation and modelling of particulate systems, which are widely encountered in various engineering fields, including civil, environmental, chemical and mechanical engineering, etc. He has authored/co-authored over 100 peer-reviewed journal publications, with most of them in Q1 journals, and several in the most prestigious journals, such as Physical Review Letters.
A/Prof Dong has attracted several research grants from Australian Research Council and industry. He has been awarded with ARC DECRA fellowship in 2014. He has developed a software package for modelling particulate systems based on discrete element method (DEM) that has been applied to the studies of various industrial processes, including:
- Particle packing and flow: packing, slope formation/deformation, hopper flow, screw conveying, etc.
- Dust separation and suppression: membrane filtration, electrostatic precipitators, etc.
- Particle classification and mixing: sieving and screening, ribbon-blade mixing, etc.
Currently he is a chief Investigator in the ARC Hub for Computational Powder Technology and the lead Investigator for the collaboration of SoEng/WSU with Lanzhou Yunshi Environmental Science & Technology Co. Ltd, working on the following projects:
- Industrial air purification.
- Air quality in built environments.
- Numerical model applications to smart manufacturing and processing.
- Self-assembly of discrete systems.
|Title:||Multiscale investigation of the dynamical behaviour of particle flow in rotating drums [ARC IH140100035 subproject] [via Monash]|
- Australian Research Council (ACRG)
- Jiangsu Industrial Technology Research Institute
- University of Western Sydney
|Western Researchers:||Haiping Zhu, Qinghua Zeng and Kejun Dong|
|Years:||2017-07-01 - 2022-12-31|
|Title:||Multiscale study of an innovative personal air purifying device for aged people|
- LANZHOU CLOUD ENVIRONMENTAL & TECHNOLOGY CO LTD (CHINA)
|Western Researchers:||Kejun Dong and Qinghua Zeng|
|Years:||2021-07-01 - 2024-12-31|
- Zhang, Y., Zhang, Z., Dong, K., Yu, Y., Xiang, Y. and Yang, C. (2021), 'Recent Advances in Computational Methods and Applications: Proceedings for the Fifth Australasian Conference on Computational Mechanics (ACCM 2021), Western Sydney University, Sydney, Australia, 13 - 15 December 2021', : Western Sydney University 9781741085310.
- Amirifar, R., Dong, K., Zeng, Q., An, X. and Yu, A. (2021), 'Effect of vibration mode on self-assembly of granular spheres under three-dimensional vibration', Powder Technology, vol 380 , pp 47 - 58.
- Zeng, J., Xu, L., Dong, K., Yang, K. and Wang, L. (2021), 'Multiple heterojunction system of boron nitride-graphene/black phosphorene as highly efficient solar cell', Advanced Theory and Simulations, vol 4, no 9 .
- Zhang, Y., Jin, R., Dong, S., Wang, Y., Dong, K., Wei, Y. and Wang, B. (2021), 'Heterogeneous condensation combined with inner vortex broken cyclone to achieve high collection efficiency of fine particles and low energy consumption', Powder Technology, vol 382 , pp 420 - 430.
- Song, S., Rong, L., Dong, K. and Shen, Y. (2021), 'Numerical investigation of drag property for fluid flow through random arrays of elliptical cylinders', Powder Technology, vol 380 , pp 539 - 552.
- Qiao, J., Duan, C., Dong, K., Wang, W., Jiang, H., Zhu, H. and Zhao, Y. (2021), 'DEM study of segregation degree and velocity of binary granular mixtures subject to vibration', Powder Technology, vol 382 , pp 107 - 117.
- Wang, C., Dong, K., Zou, R. and Yu, A. (2021), 'How stars are packed in the universe : a comparison with sphere packing', Powder Technology, vol 381 , pp 224 - 228.
- Wang, S., Tian, Z., Dong, K. and Xie, Q. (2021), 'Inconsistency of neighborhood based on Voronoi tessellation and Euclidean distance', Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol 854 .
- An, X., Dong, K., Yang, R., Zou, R. and Yu, A. (2021), 'On the relationships between structural properties and packing density of uniform spheres', Powder Technology, vol 388 , pp 139 - 148.
- Yao, D., An, X., Fu, H., Zhang, H., Yang, X., Zou, Q. and Dong, K. (2021), 'Dynamic investigation on the powder spreading during selective laser melting additive manufacturing', Additive Manufacturing, vol 37 .
- Yi, L., Zou, R., Pinson, D., Dong, K. and Yu, A. (2021), 'An assessment of the mathematical models for estimating the coordination number of the packing of multisized particles', Powder Technology, vol 379 , pp 58 - 68.
- Rahman, M., Zhao, M., Islam, M., Dong, K. and Saha, S. (2021), 'Aging effects on airflow distribution and micron-particle transport and deposition in a human lung using CFD-DPM approach', Advanced Powder Technology, vol 32, no 10 , pp 3506 - 3516.
- Qiao, J., Dong, K. and Duan, C. (2021), 'DEM study on the segregation of a non-spherical intruder in a vibrated granular bed', Processes, vol 9, no 3 .
- Yu, G., Dong, S., Yang, L., Yan, D., Dong, K., Wei, Y. and Wang, B. (2021), 'Experimental and numerical studies on a new double-stage tandem nesting cyclone', Chemical Engineering Science, vol 236 .
- Wang, L., An, X., Wu, Y., Qian, Q., Zou, R. and Dong, K. (2021), 'DEM simulation of vibrated packing densification of mono-sized regular octahedral particles', Powder Technology, vol 384 , pp 29 - 35.
- Zhang, S., Kwok, K., Liu, H., Jiang, Y., Dong, K. and Wang, B. (2021), 'A CFD study of wind assessment in urban topology with complex wind flow', Sustainable Cities and Society, vol 71 .
- Rahman, M., Zhao, M., Islam, M., Dong, K. and Saha, S. (2021), 'Aerosol particle transport and deposition in upper and lower airways of infant, child and adult human lungs', Atmosphere, vol 12, no 11 .
- Hou, Z., Li, C., Liu, L., Gao, Q., Wang, J., Liu, R., Tian, Z. and Dong, K. (2021), 'Three-dimensional topological structures and formation processes of dislocations in Au nanowire under tension loading', Computational Materials Science, vol 197 .
- Li, X., Tian, Z., Xie, Q. and Dong, K. (2021), 'The topologically close-packed Fe70Cu15Ni15 nanoparticles : a simulation study', Vacuum, vol 193 .
- Keshavarzian, E., Jin, R., Dong, K. and Kwok, K. (2021), 'Effect of building cross-section shape on air pollutant dispersion around buildings', Building and Environment, .
- Widhate, P., Zhu, H., Zeng, Q. and Dong, K. (2021), 'Particle velocity profile in an inclined rotating drum', Powders and Grains, online.
- Rahman, M., Zhao, M., Islam, M., Dong , K. and Saha , S. (2020), 'Airflow dynamic and particle deposition in age-specific human lungs', Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, Brisbane, Qld..
- Li, M., Tian, Z., Xie, Q. and Dong, K. (2020), 'Structural analysis for tensile behavior of silicon-carbon core-shell nanotube', International Conference on Materials, Mechanical Engineering and Automation Technology, Online.