Bachelor of Criminology



Delivery ModeOn campus
LocationPenrith; Bankstown
Duration 3F / 6P
UAC Code727030 [Bankstown]; 727033 [Penrith]
Entrance Rank65.00 ATAR [Bankstown]; 65.00 ATAR [Penrith]
Fee Information

Local Course Fees (opens in a new window)

Key :  FFull time study,  P = Part time study,  A =  Accelerated full time study

Part-time refers to study load, not to timetabling of evening classes.



Delivery ModeOn campus
LocationPenrith; Bankstown
Course Code1710.2 [CRICOS Code 00917K] 
Entrance Rank

Please refer to Admission Requirements

Fee Information

International Course Fees (opens in a new window)

Key :  FFull time study,  P = Part time study,  A =  Accelerated full time study

Part-time refers to study load, not to timetabling of evening classes.


The brand new Bachelor of Criminology course is one of the only named criminology courses in Sydney. It is highly recommended for students dedicated to working in the criminology field. It focuses both on the conceptual and the application of those concepts in the real world. With a structured unit list, it provides an immersive and truly relevant experience. There is a focus on research in the third year, with students developing their own research topic, collecting data, analysing the results, and writing up the thesis. This individual research project provides a vital base for a practical career in criminology, as well as for students looking to become policy analysts or research officers.


Access information about the units (subjects) you will complete as well as important admission information:

Review the Course Admission and Subject Information

Career opportunities for Bachelor of Criminology

Community development worker

Working in community development involves collaborating to make collective decisions about how a particular community can move forward in a beneficial way. You work with individuals and families as well as whole communities to provide advice, services and plans for them to achieve particular goals. Often, community development workers act as a link between volunteer organisations and the community.

Police Officer

With further training and/or qualifications, you may become a registered police officer. Police officers may specialise in certain areas including counter-terrorism, child protection or investigation to name a few. They are responsible with enforcing the law and detecting and preventing crime.

Casework and case management

A caseworker provides individuals with advice, services and direction that relate to their interests. Caseworkers work for a variety of government, non-government and voluntary organisations usually in the areas of child protection, drug and alcohol services or community health.

Correctional officer

Correctional officers work in prisons and correctional centres to ensure the safe supervision of inmates. Their duties involve observing prison behaviour, providing advice, administering first aid, assessing risk factors and preparing reports.

Youth Worker

Youth workers support and advise young people on their behaviorial, environmental or developmental needs. The work involves writing reports, assessing needs and risks as well as conducting programs amongst other things.

Policy development

Policy development involves researching, compiling and analysing a range of facts specific to a community and creating it as a policy that will benefit the wider community. You may specify in the area of crime and crime prevention.


With further qualifications, you may become a lawyer specialising in criminal law.

Academic Profile

Professor Stephen Tomsen

Stephen Tomsen is Professor of Criminology in the School of Social Sciences and Psychology at the University of Western Sydney. Previously he was the Associate Dean / Research Training, Education and Arts at the University of Newcastle, Deputy Director of the Sydney Institute of Criminology at the University of Sydney, and he has held visiting fellowships in the United Kingdom (Birkbeck, Keele and Westminster), the University of Wash…

Read academic profile

No results were found

How to apply

All domestic applications for entry to Western Sydney University undergraduate courses must be made through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) (opens in a new window). Step by step instructions are available on the Apply Now pages.

Instructions for international applications are available on the International Admissions pages.