How to apply


Postgraduate Coursework Programs

If you're an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident, you will need to apply online directly to Western for postgraduate coursework in Arts and Humanities, Business, Creative Industries, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Computing and Information Technology, Medicine, Nursing and Midwifery, Psychology, Sciences, Social Sciences, TESOL, Interpreting and Translation or Therapeutic Studies and Counselling. Applications can also be made through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC).(opens in a new window)

For the Bachelor of Nursing (Graduate Entry) you need to apply through UAC. (opens in a new window)

Applications made directly to Western do not have an application fee.

You can manage your existing direct applications via the Western application portal (opens in a new window) or via UAC.(opens in a new window)

If you are an international student, you need to apply through Western Sydney University International.

Before you apply, please make sure you follow the below checklist so that everything runs smoothly.

  1. Visit to view the postgraduate courses available.
  2. Check where you need to apply, direct to Western or through the Universities Admissions Centre.
  3. If you would like to ask our academic staff about course content and possible career paths, reserve a place at a Postgraduate Information Session. Additionally if you're an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident:
  4. Identify the course/s you wish to apply for, in order of preference. We use a preference-based system for postgraduate offers. This means you will receive only one offer for the course listed highest in your preferences for which you are eligible.
  5. Refer to closing dates for direct to Western applications or UAC for other postgraduate courses to check the start date of your course/s as well as the corresponding application closing date.
  6. Check whether there are special admissions requirements for your course.
  7. Include correctly certified copies of all necessary documents.
  8. Include additional information and/or supplementary forms if necessary, such as a Statement of Service.
  9. Check your email for the outcome of your application.

Postgraduate Research Programs

For information on how to apply for Postgraduate Research Programs, please visit the Graduate Research School.