Doctor David Osborne is a Coal and Minerals Technology specialist with extensive global experience in coal preparation, mineral processing, quality assurance and technical marketing through direct involvement in all facets of the subject area. Internationally renowned with accredited engineering status in Australia, numerous technical publications and memberships and active participation in international professional institutions and organisations. He received his BSc (Hons) Mining Engineering from University of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, PhD Applied Science from University of Newcastle – upon-Tyne, Post-experience courses at Pennsylvania State University (PSU), PSU World Campus Postgraduate Certificate in “Logistics & Supply Chain Management”, Research advisor via adjunct professor role in mineral processing at UQ, Registered professional engineer in AusIMM and RPEQ
Areas of Research / Teaching Expertise
- Senior Lecturer in Mineral Processing at the Camborne School of Mines for five years in the early 1970s; and subsequent adjunct professor appointments with UBC in Vancouver, UQ Minerals Processing in Brisbane, and WSU Deriving Value from Waste in Sydney, as well ad-hoc lecturing and external examiner roles with Wits University, South Africa and UNSW and University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
- Internationally renowned coal/iron-ore specialist with numerous publications and professional memberships & participation in several international institutions and organisations, including:
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Mining & Metallurgy, with Chartered Practising Status
- Fellow, Canadian Institute of Mining & Metallurgy
- Member, American Institute of Mining Engineers
- Member Australian Coal Preparation Society
- Current chairman of the Australian Standards - Coal Preparation MN001/2 sub-committee and member of MN001 Coal Technology committee of Standards Australia; and current chair of ISO- TC27 Technical Committee – Coal Preparation.
- Competent with most common computer software, e.g., Word, Power Point, Excel, Visio, MS Project, Mind Manager, etc. Also, some specialised industry models for plant performance and value-In-use assessment.
Recent Key Roles
Somerset International Australia (October 2014 to Present)
Role: Industry Advisor (since 2018), formerly Research Director and Founding Managing Director
Glencore / Xstrata Technology (Glencore) (2013-2015)
Role: Manager Coal Technology reporting to GM Projects
Glencore-Xstrata Coal (2013-2014)
Role: Group Manager Coal Technology reporting to GM Business Development
Anglo American Coal (2009) London-based
Role: Head of Coal Technology from 2009; reporting to the Head of Technical (London-based)
Anglo American Coal (2008 – 2009) London-based
Role: General Manager Technical Marketing - reporting to the Head of Sales & Marketing
Anglo American Coal (2005 – 2008) Brisbane-based
Role: Global Coal Technologist reporting to the GM Marketing
Anglo American Coal (2003 – 2005) Brisbane-based
Chief Metallurgist–reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (Brisbane-based)
Hamersley Iron (Rio Tinto), (1998 – 2003) Perth-based, WA:
Role: Manager Technical Marketing; reporting to the GM Marketing
Rio Tinto Technical Services (1993 – 1998) Melbourne-based
Role: Head of Coal Technology Research and Technology
PT Kaltim Prima Coal (1988-1993) Indonesia – Jakarta and Kalimantan
Role: Various senior manager roles through mine development, plant operation and business development.
Osborne, D.G. (1977 revisions; 1985, 1989) “Solid-Liquid Separation”, Editor Svarovsky, L. Published by Butterworths - 3 of 12 chapters.
Osborne, D.G. (1989) “Coal Preparation Technology” book published by Graham and Trotman (now Kluwer), Volumes 1 and 2.
Osborne, D. G., Gupta, S. Kerkkonen, O and others, 2008; “Effect of Coke Mineral and Carbon Structure on Coke Behaviour in the Ruukkii Blast Furnace” - received the Josef S. Kapitan Award (AIS) for the Best Coke making Paper of 2009; AIS Tech 2008, Pittsburgh, USA, May 2008.
Osborne, D. G. 2009 “Industrial Use of Coal” Keynote Address, SA Coal Processing Conference, Secunda RSA, September 2009.
Osborne, D. G. Editor “The Coal Handbook - Towards cleaner production”, a two-volume book published in July 2013 by Woodhead Publishing Company, Cambridge, UK. http://www.woodheadpublishing.com/en/book.aspx?bookID=2544
Osborne, D. G. Editor “The Coal Handbook - Towards cleaner production”, a revised version of the original two-volume book to be published in early 2023 by Elsevier Publishing Company.
Osborne, D. G., Moorman, T. and Smith, G. V. 2011: “Market Development for a Large New Thermal Coal Mine in the Surat Basin, QLD” 7th International Symposium on Coal Combustion”, July 17-20, 2011, Harbin, P.R. China
Osborne, D. G. 2012 “Milestones in Fine Coal Cleaning Development” Keynote Presentation, A Fine Coal Symposium: Challenges in Fine Coal Processing, Dewatering and Disposal.
EjtemaeiA, Nguyen, A and Osborne, D.G. “Improving Solid Bowl Centrifuge Product Moisture and Centrate Quality: A Pilot-scale Study on Coal-tailings Dewatering”, 44th International Technical Conference on Clean Energy ;Virtual Conference June 16 to 21, 2019, Clearwater, Florida, USA July 26 to 29, 2021 Clearwater, Florida, US. (published).
Osborne, D.G., Zhonghua Chen, Soheil Jahandari S.J., Khazaie, A, Rahme, M. and Alistair Harriman, A Coal Mining Residues: Handling, Environmental impacts, and Potential Utilization. Seminar: “Value from Tailings 101”. 45th International Technical Conference on Clean Energy; Virtual Conference July 26 to 29, 2021 Clearwater, Florida, US (to be published).
Osborne, D.G. and Ejtemaei, A. “Effective treatment of coal tailings using a bespoke dewatering chemical approach”.45th International Technical Conference on Clean Energy Virtual Conference July 26 to 29, 2021 Clearwater, Florida, US (to be published)
Office number: +61 7 3724 0187
Mobile number: +61 457 818 894