- Engineering Courses
- Information Technology Courses
- Industrial Design Courses
- Construction Courses
- - Advanced Materials and Smart Structures (AMSS)
- - AeIMS
- - Areas of Expertise and Consultancy
- - Artificial Intelligence Research Group
- - Astrophysical eScience Laboratory
- - Australian Housing Supply Chain Alliance (AHSCA)
- - Bioelectronics Neuroscience (BENS)
- - Centre for Research in Mathematics
- - Centre for Smart Modern Construction
- - Digital Humanities Technologies
- - Geotechnical, Water and Environmental Engineering Research
- - Health Informatics (eHealth)
- - Intelligent & Sustainable Electrical Systems
- - Networking, Security, and Cloud Research (NSCR)
- - Robotics, Vision and Signal Processing (RVSP)
- - Solar Energy Technologies
- - Sustainable Construction Management and Education (SCME)
- - Telehealth Research and Innovation Lab (THRIL)
- Our People
- News - SCEM Bytes
- MakerSpace and Wonderama
- Industrial Design
- Solar Car
- Contact the School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics
- SCEM Schoolwide Work Integrated Learning Framework
- Women Transforming the Built Environment
Western Sydney University is ranked 11th of 40 universities nationwide for Australian Research Council grants.
Western Sydney University has been judged top 20 (18th) of Australian universities in the 2012 national review of research quality (ERA).
The School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics holds regular seminars showcasing its own research, as well as visiting scholars to the School. The schedule can be found through: School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics seminars
The School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics has an active research culture which encompasses several research concentrations:
Advanced Materials and Smart Structures (AMSS)
Current Research Areas
- Engineering Materials and Processing Technologies
- Smart Structures and Safety Engineering
Advanced Enterprise Information Management Systems (AeIMS)
Current Research Projects
- Moving Businesses Online.
- Development of an Online eTransformation Guide (eT Guide).
- Web Application Modelling.
- Smart Business Objects (SBOs).
- Automating transformation of requirement specification to object models.
- Investigating Process Modelling Mechanisms to Measure and Compute Carbon Emission of Organisational Processes
Artificial Intelligence Research Group (AIRG)
- Knowledge representation and reasoning: Ontology based reasoning and data query; computational properties of existential rules; knowledge based reasoning with Big Data; Answer Set Programming (ASP).
- Blockchain research: Blockchain based data integrity verification; Blockchain based access control framework; data query in Blockchain; Blockchain sharding.
- Intelligent agents: automated negotiation; reasoning about strategy; trading agents.
- Machine learning: image processing; AI-based real time analysis and self-adaption.
- Information security: network security; secured data access in shared cloud storage; rule based access control policies.
Astrophysical eScience Laboratory
- AeSciL is engaged in fundamental and generic astrophysical observational research on the life of stars at all frequencies (Radio, Optical, IR, X-Ray) using available national and international instruments.
Australian Housing Supply Chain Alliance (AHSCA)
AHSCA involves stakeholders of the Australian housing industry who have the capacity and willingness to commit to being change agents for the sector to address industry challenges.
Bioelectronics Neuroscience (BENS)
Current Research Areas
- Reverse engineering the brain
- Neuromorphic Engineering and Intelligent Sensors
- Biomedical engineering and bioinstrumentation
Centre for Infrastructure Engineering
Current Research Themes
Centre for Research in Mathematics
Current Research Themes
- Algebra and applications
- Analytical and statistical methods in control theory and biological systems
Centre for Smart Modern Construction (C4SMC)
An industry collaboration initiative embracing smart technologies and processes in delivering a modern construction industry
The Centre Will Invest In:
- Research grants
- Visiting academics
- Academic and research exchange
- Undergraduate scholarships for construction management students
- A site for practical demonstration of building techniques
Current Research Challenges and Opportunities
- The key challenges facing the digital humanities at this stage of its development are four-fold: to articulate its research agenda as a humanistic and computing discipline; to promote and support fruitful interaction between computational science and the arts and humanities; to link effectively to specialists in new media research; and to bridge the gap to digital cultural studies and the social sciences more generally. Because of its institutional character and history, Western Sydney University has the potential to play a significant international role in all these areas.
Geotechnical, Water and Environmental Engineering Research
Current Research Areas
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Water Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
Health Informatics (eHealth)
Current Research Areas
- Health Information, e.g. personal monitoring, health data mining / analysis, medical images
- Health Decisions, e.g. computational learning and pattern recognition, smart homes for health, human-computer interaction
- Health Systems, including care delivery and management, patient journey modelling, wellness promotion
Intelligent and Sustainable Electrical Systems
Current Research Interests
- Application of Nd-Fe-B magnets in motors, actuators and magnetic couplings.
- Design and development of high speed, high efficiency, DC brushless motor with slotless windings and controller.
- Power Electronics and drive systems
- Variable reluctance motors including switched reluctance and stepper motors
- Induction and reluctance generators
- Renewable sources of energy and conversion to electrical energy
- Converter topologies for drive systems
- Power system protection
- Micro Electromechanical Devices
- Fuzzy Logic Control Systems
- Interior or Buried Permanent Magnet Drive Systems
- Condition monitoring of power system equipment
- Application of Finite Element Methods in Electromagnetic Design
- Neuro-Fuzzy Applications
- EM I/EMC and Power Quality issues
- Sensorless Control of Brushless Drive Systems
Machine Learning Projects in Radio-astronomy & Astrophysics
This is the wiki for an informal group interested in developing techniques for machine learning in radio-astronomy and astrophysics, in areas such as source extraction and classification, redshift measurement, transient detection, and detecting the unexpected, with a particular focus on extracting science from data from large survey projects. The group is hosted by Western Sydney University (WSU) and CSIRO, but is an open, informal group, and anyone interested in working in this area is welcome to join.Find out more about Machine Learning Projects in Radio-astronomy & Astrophysics
Networking, Security, and Cloud Research (NSCR)
Current Research Topics
- ICT and Networking (Wireless and Mobile Networks, Ad hoc Networks, Sensor Networks, Performance Modeling and Analysis, and Application of AI in Networked Systems)
- Pervasive Computing (Ubiquitous computing and Internet of Things)
- Security (Traditional Network Security, Reliable Wireless Networks, and Secure Cloud Computing)
- Grid/Cloud Computing and eResearch (Performance Evaluations, Network-based Education, eHealth, and Workflow Management Systems)
Robotics, Vision and Signal Processing (RSVP)
- The Robotics, Vision and Signal Processing (RVSP) team aims to develop innovative concepts, methodologies and techniques in the field of robotics, computer vision and signal processing and apply these developments to solving practical problems.
Solar Energy Technologies
Projects and Research Interests
We have the potential to deliver the following technologies in high need for the community:
- solar materials which are photosensitive oxide semiconductors for solar energy conversion which are competitive with silicon;
- devices for solar–hydrogen – environmentally friendly energy;
- water purification without oxidants which produces high quality water using solar energy. The group's work offers solar energy to convert sewage into drinking water.
Sustainable Construction Management and Education (SCME)
- The Sustainable Construction Management and Education team has a strong group of actively engaged researchers. It aims to develop strategies for responding to climate change while embedding engaged learning in the construction management program as part of the Western Sydney University Strategic Plan. Undergraduate student numbers have increased significantly since 2007. The enrolment surge indicates a need to conduct research into improving sustainable construction education.
Telehealth Research and Innovation Lab (THRIL)
- Health Data Management and Analysis
- Software Systems for eHealth
- Intelligent Automated Systems and Human Factors
- Online, Mobile and Sensor Environments