Open for applications this year, the REAS offers a minimum of 15 places specifically for rural students to study medicine. It is open to current school leavers, non-current school leavers and graduates.
Please note – REAS is an entry scheme into the Doctor of Medicine (MD). Students who are successful in gaining a place in medicine via this scheme will study the same program as all other students.
- An Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (or equivalent) of 93.5. For those applicants studying in a recognised university degree, a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.7 (at the end of one year full time of study) OR for those who have completed a degree, a GPA of 5.1 out of 7
- Performance in the University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT ANZ)
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (New Zealand citizens are not eligible to apply via this scheme)
- Have lived in an Australian Statistical Geography Standard - Remoteness Area (ASGS-RA) of 2 to 5 for a minimum of 5 years consecutively or 10 cumulative years, commencing from the age of 5 to immediately prior to commencing the Doctor of Medicine. To check your postcode(s) please refer to Doctor Connect.
Once you reach the Doctor Connect site:
- "search the map" on the right hand side of the page and enter your residential address.
- Tick ASGS Remoteness Areas (2016)
- Press enter to return your designated RA code
Applicants who demonstrate they have met the above criteria may be invited to interview, held in late November. Following interviews, offers will be made to successful applicants via UAC.
How to apply
- Apply via UAC, include Western Sydney University Doctor of Medicine (MD) as one of the preferences.
- Sit UCAT ANZ during the year of application.
- Complete the online MD registration form below. Completed forms must be submitted by Midnight AEST 30 September 2019. Late applications will not be considered.
The School of Medicine requires all REAS applicants to provide documentation confirming their eligibility to apply as a rural applicant. Applicants must upload a completed Community Member Confirmation form as part of their MD registration submission. Forms are downloadable from the link below.
If you are intending to enrol in the medical course at the School of Medicine you should look at the Medicine Inherent Requirements statements and think about whether you may experience challenges in meeting these requirements.