Master of Social Work (Qualifying)



Delivery Mode On campus
Location Parramatta City
Duration  2F / 4P
Intake Information

Available Semester 1 (Autumn)

Apply Direct Code 1792.1
UAC Code 950818
Fee Information

Local Course Fees (opens in a new window)

Key :  FFull time study,  P = Part time study,  A =  Accelerated full time study

Part-time refers to study load, not to timetabling of evening classes.



Delivery ModeOn campus
LocationParramatta City
Course Code1792.1 [CRICOS Code 088712G]
Intake InformationAvailable Semester 1 (Autumn)
Fee Information

International Course Fees (opens in a new window)

Key :  FFull time study,  P = Part time study,  A =  Accelerated full time study

Part-time refers to study load, not to timetabling of evening classes.


The Master of Social Work (Qualifying) is aimed at graduates of Social Sciences and other Human Services programs who wish to achieve a professional qualification in social work. It combines the academic rigour, including research training required for a Masters level qualification, with the practical education required to meet Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) standards.

As a student of Western Sydney University you will undertake traditional academic units as well as completing assessed placements.

The combination of blended and work-based learning is a distinguishing feature of this degree.

New location

This degree will be offered at the new Parramatta City campus, 169 Macquarie Street, Parramatta. You will study in the heart of Parramatta's thriving Central Business District close to major transport links.


Access information about the units (subjects) you will complete as well as important admission information:

Review the Course Admission and Subject Information

Career Opportunities for the Master of Social Work Graduates

Community development worker

Working in community development involves collaborating to make collective decisions about how a particular community can move forward in a beneficial way. You work with individuals and families as well as whole communities to provide advice, services and plans for them to achieve particular goals. Often, community development workers act as a link between volunteer organisations and the community

Casework and case management

A caseworker provides individuals with advice, services and direction that relate to their interests. Caseworkers work for a variety of government, non-government and voluntary organisations usually in the areas of child protection, drug and alcohol services or community health.

Youth Worker

Youth workers support and advise young people on their behaviorial, environmental or developmental needs. The work involves writing reports, assessing needs and risks as well as conducting programs amongst other things.

Social policy development

Policy development involves researching, compiling and analysing a range of facts that relate to the benefit of society. It involves working with a range of government agencies and community groups to pinpoint relevant solutions.


Counsellors provide assistance to people struggling with emotional issues and offer advice and guidance. They may specialise in particular areas, such as health, grief management etc.

Juvenile justice worker

Working in juvenile justice may involve counselling, supervising or managing young people detained in a detention facility.

How to apply

If you're an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident, you can apply online directly to Western (opens in a new window) for postgraduate coursework in Arts and Humanities, Business, Creative Industries, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Law, Computing and Information Technology, Medicine, Nursing and Midwifery, Psychology, Sciences, Social Sciences, TESOL, Interpreting and Translation or Therapeutic Studies and Counselling. Applications can also be made through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) (opens in a new window).

Applications made directly to Western do not have an application fee.

You can manage your existing direct applications via the Western application portal (opens in a new window) or via UAC.(opens in a new window)

Step by step instructions are available on the How to Apply pages.

If you are an international student, you need to apply through Western Sydney University International. Step by step instructions are available on the International Admissions pages.