Positioned within Western Sydney University, the Institute consolidates and builds on a wide range of existing teaching and research expertise in Chinese literature, translation, interpretation, music composition and history within the Institute for Culture and Society, School of Education and School of Humanities and Communication Arts.
The Australia-China Institute for Arts and Culture had Professor Jocelyn Chey AM as its Founding Director. The institute is supported by Research and Postdoctoral Research Fellows, Key Researchers and Professional Staff. The broad connections made by two successive Directors in both Australia and China will help attract world class research teams and expertise to the Institute.
The Institute receives advice from an advisory board comprised of the following members:
- Dr Geoffrey Raby AO, Former Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China, Business Consultant
- Professor Ien Ang (opens in a new window), Distinguished Professor of Cultural Studies, Western Sydney University
- Ms Sallie Beaumont, Eminent expert on Chinese language, art and culture
- Professor Barney Glover (opens in a new window), Vice-Chancellor & President, Western Sydney University
- Mr Wei Guan, Prominent Chinese Australian artist
- Mr Kevin Hobgood-Brown AM, Chairman of the Foundation for Australian Studies in China
- Hon. Dr Helen Sham-Ho, Former Deputy-President, Legislative Council of NSW
- Ms Annette Shun Wah, Executive Producer, Contemporary Asian Australian Performance
- Professor Deborah Sweeney (opens in a new window), Deputy Vice-Chancellor & Vice President (Research & Innovation), Western Sydney University
- Professor Su-Ming Wong, CEO of CHAMP Ventures and Professor of Practice at UNSW Business School
- Ms Ariel Zhang, Art and Cultural Coordinator at Bridging Hope Charity Foundation (BHCF)