Frequently Asked Questions

How to apply for a Doctor of Medicine (MD).

Applicants who have lived at one of the School of Medicine GWS designated postcodes for a minimum of five consecutive years prior to course commencement are eligible to apply as a GWS applicant.

The ATAR (or equivalent) threshold is 95.5 for all non-Greater Western Sydney applicants and 93.5 for Greater Western Sydney applicants. 

If you are currently studying a university degree (but do not expect to complete the degree by the end of the year) – please apply as a School leaver (non-current). If you have completed (or will have completed) a semester of full time of study in a university degree at the time of interview, your GPA can be considered.

If you have either completed your degree OR expect to complete by the end of the year, please apply as a graduate. For graduates, your GPA will be considered (not your HSC rank).

No. We will receive your academic standing in the form of a ranking, directly from UAC, at the end of the year.

The UCAT ANZ threshold is not made public to applicants since it is determined each year according to the performance of all other applicants for the course. GWS applicants may have a lower UCAT ANZ threshold than non-GWS applicants.

The School of Medicine is not able to advise if an applicant's qualifications equate to the required ranks. All queries in relation to qualifications and how they are converted should be directed to the Western Sydney University Admissions Office via

You will be advised via email by mid October if you have been invited to attend an MMI at Western Sydney University. 

Whilst it may not be possible for all vaccinations to have been completed at the time of enrolment, all students who accept a place in the course will be sent instructions and a vaccination card to facilitate completion of the vaccination process as patient contact commences in the second week of teaching.

Students undertaking the MD must have successfully completed a Senior First Aid Course before the end of Semester 1, Year 1. Once completed, students are required to take the original certificate to Student Central, with their Student ID card.