- Bullying Prevention
- Cultural Diversity
- - News & Events
- - Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE)
- - Vice-Chancellor’s Gender Equality Committee
- - Vice Chancellor's Gender Equality Fund
- - Parenting Support
- - Flexible Working Arrangements
- - Gender Pay Equity
- - Leadership, Talent Identification & Networking
- - Sexual Harassment
- - Domestic and Family Violence
- - Women Who Inspire
- - International Women's Day
- - Gender Equity in Higher Education During the COVID-19 Crisis
- Open Fora
- Sexuality and Gender Diversity
- Western Panel Pledge
- Equity and Diversity Working Parties
- Western Sydney University Black Lives Matter Pledge
Parent and Carer Resources During COVID-19
- Support information for student and staff parents and carers during COVID-19
- Information for managers and supervisors supporting staff during COVID-19
The Supporting Parents Toolkit for Staff (PDF, 559.39 KB) (opens in new window) details the generous provisions and services that the University offers to staff who have parenting responsibilities. Included in the toolkit is checklist for staff and a checklist for supervisors and a summary of parental leave entitlements.
In addition to this comprehensive toolkit, and recognising the importance of supporting shared caring opportunities for our staff, a two page handout Managing Family Responsibility - For Partners has been developed to further highlight the provisions and services available to partners who have parenting responsibilities, including as primary carers.
More information is also available from the Office of Human resources via Managing Family Responsibilities.
The University has generous leave provisions available to support parents and adoptive/foster parents and partners including:
- Parental leave which includes maternity, foster care and adoptive parents leave
- Partner leave which includes Primary Carer leave for Partners
- Reduced hours return to work option after parental leave
- Flexible work options
- Personal Leave
- Purchase Additional Leave options.
More leave information is available from the Office of Human Resources.
To assist staff in navigating the parental leave process the following two checklists have been developed:
Staff are encouraged to work through the checklist with their Manager/staff member to ensure a smooth transition.
The University is accredited by the Australian Breastfeeding Association as a Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace. We support staff and students who wish to breastfeed their baby while they participate in work or study on campus. Women are welcome to breastfeed their babies wherever they feel comfortable on campus. There are also 17 dedicated breastfeeding rooms available across 9 campuses for those who need a private space for breastfeeding. These rooms are equipped with a privacy screen, comfortable chair and access to refrigeration, power points for expressing breastmilk and lockers for storage of personal equipment please review the Breastfeeding/Expressing Room Guidelines.
Parental and Breastfeeding Facilities on Campus
The following rooms are available for staff, students and visitors and can be used by parents and for breastfeeding.
Building 1 G.08
|Macarthur Clinical School||Building X7.G.38|
|Parramatta City||Building 1.1.33|
|Parramatta South||Building EB.G.16|
Further support and information
The Australian Breastfeeding Association (opens in new window) has trained Breastfeeding Counsellors who are available to assist women with their breastfeeding concerns, and questions about how to combine breastfeeding and returning to work. They can be contacted on the toll-free number 1800 686 268