Student and staff carers

Carers play an essential role supporting vulnerable members across our community, and often do so while also managing demanding study and/or work responsibilities. The University recognises that this can cause considerable disadvantage to carers in their study and career progression. Western Sydney University also understands that the impact of carer responsibilities has tended to affect women predominantly, creating a major driver of gender inequality. To help build equal opportunity for those with carer responsibilities, the University encourages student and staff carers to request consideration of their carer role and access to support arrangements.

Western Sydney University supports carers as defined within the meaning of the Carers (Recognition) Act 2010 (NSW). The University considers a carer to be an individual who provides ongoing personal care, support and assistance to any other individual who needs it because that other individual:

  • is a person with disability within the meaning of the Disability Inclusion Act 2014 (NSW), or
  • has a medical condition (including a terminal or chronic illness), or
  • has a mental illness, or
  • is frail and aged.

Support available at Western Sydney University


Information on supports available to students can be found on the Western Sydney Students, Services and Facilities, Student Carers web page.

Additionally, connection can be made with the Disability Collective which aims to support people with disability and carers of people with disability in removing barriers and discrimination. A list of student collectives can be found on the students services page - Student Collectives.


The University can support staff who are carers with workplace reasonable adjustments to assist removing barriers in the workplace. For example, workplace adjustments for staff who are carers can include arrangements such as:

  • access to relevant leave,
  • flexible working hours,
  • working remotely, and/or
  • personal support through the Employee Access Program

Also, carers of family members experiencing domestic or family violence are entitled under the WSU enterprise agreements to request flexible working conditions.

Flexible working arrangements and other reasonable adjustment requests for carers will be considered in conjunction with the inherent requirements of a carer’s work role, the care responsibilities of the staff member, and local operational requirements.

Further University information on workplace supports for carers includes:

Department of Social Services/Carer Gateway

The Department of Social Services provides services and supports to carers. For more information about services for carers you can contact Carer Gateway on 1800422 737 or visit the website. Carer Gateway provides a range of information that can help carers in their role, from practical advice and resources, to help finding support services.

Australian Human Rights Commission

The Australian Human Rights Commission provide guidance for carers in the workplace. Further information can be found at

The Human Rights Commission also has a toolkit with resources to support unpaid carer

Carers Australia

Carers Australia Logo

The Carers Australia website has further valuable resources for carers in the workplace. Carers fact sheet

Carers Australia Logo

National Carer’s week is acknowledged one week in October. Dates can be found on the Carers Australia Website.

Carers NSWCarers NSW Logo

Carers NSW can be contacted on 1800 242 636 for emotional support, information and resources.

Employee Assistance Program

EAP is a professional, confidential coaching service for employees and their immediate family members (spouse, partner, parents, parent’s in-law, children, etc), paid for by the University. It is free for you and your family.

EAP is a short-term, solution focused program aimed at assisting with personal or work related issues that may be impacting on quality of life or sense of well-being. It can be accessed 24/7, and includes face-to-face sessions, or telephone assistance.Access EAP Logo

This service is provided by an independent company called AccessEAP counsellors are all qualified, experienced professionals who have extensive training in coaching, counselling and workplace consulting.

Further information can be found at or call  1800 81 87 28.

Supports available for those being cared for

Aged Care

Myagedcare Logo If you are caring for someone who is elderly and requires ongoing supports to live independently at home, the myaged care website may provide advice on services available and an application for supports can be made through the website or by calling 1800 200 422.


ndis LogoIf you are caring for someone with a disability, they may be eligible for support through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). For further information on the NDIS and eligibility requirements call 1800 800 110 or check out their web site

The NDIS can also provide support for young children with disability and also young children who would benefit from early intervention support due to delays in meeting milestones under Early Childhood Early Intervention (ECEI) For further information, contact the NDIS directly.

Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence LogoThere are a number of organisations that can provide support to someone experiencing domestic or family violence. Further information can be found at Equity and Diversity Rights and Protections page.