Rainbow Western is a Western Staff Collective which aims to:
(1) provide a safe social space for Western staff who self-identify as Lesbian, Gay, Genderqueer, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and otherwise sexuality- and/or gender-diverse (LGBTQIA+);
(2) to facilitate peer-support and collaborations among its members; and
(3) to give us a voice at Western.
Rainbow Western also actively participate in a number of queer networks in Greater Western Sydney and nationally.
Rainbow Western is proud to be supported by two Executive Sponsors:
- Professor Michelle Trudgett, Deputy Vice-Chancellor Indigenous Leadership, and
- Professor Alphia Possamai-Inesedy, Pro Vice-Chancellor Engagement & Advancement and Chair of Western’s Social Justice Network.
All self-identifying LGBTQIA+ Western staff are warmly welcome to join the Rainbow Western by registering through this link.
If you have any questions about being queer at Western, for example if you are a new staff member and you wish to know more about LGBTQIA+ inclusion at Western, please click here to contact the Rainbow Western Committee, or contact one of the fabulous Rainbow Western Queer Ambassadors.
We look forward to welcoming fellow LGBTQIA+ Western staff into Rainbow Western!
In August 2023, to commemorate Wear It Purple Day, Rainbow Western invited the staff and students of Western Sydney University to share their reflections on the question: "What would you write to your younger self?"
LGBTQIA+ participants were encouraged to “think and reflect about what life was like for you in the past, and what wisdom you have obtained from your experience” while allies were asked to contemplate “Is there anything you wish you had done earlier to support LGBTQIA+ people, or to be a stronger Ally?” The answers were compiled into a booklet which can be viewed here