Experts In Recovery
Western's research cohorts provide expertise of regional, national and global importance. Research Makers highlights some of the applied outcomes that have been delivered and research groups with capacity to address the complex issues and societal changes resulting from COVID-19.
Find out more by downloading Research Makers magazine.
- The Conversation: Screen time rules during Coronavirus
The drivers of resilience are complex and thus require holistic, socio-ecological responses. Underpinned by interdisciplinary approaches and youth-centred, participatory methods, the Young and Resilient Research Centre (incorporating the Intergener8 Living Lab) generates evidence-based policy and practice outcomes that leverage the digital to strengthen the resilience of young people and their communities.
- The Conversation: Pressure on young people
- Opinion: Grandparent-grandchildren video calls are vital during COVID-19. Here are simple ways to improve them
- New exhibition paints pandemic through children’s eyes
The impact on mental health and wellbeing of COVD19 will continue as the national and global impacts of the pandemic are realised. Mental Health strategies, interventions and treatments are the focus of a number of Western's research Institutes, Centre and Schools. The Translational Health Research Institute, the Young and Resilient Research Centre, Transforming Early Education and Child Health, and the Schools of Social Science and Psychology address these challenges in translatable and impactful ways.
- The Conversation: Visiting aged care facility bans
Professor Hannah Dahlen from the School of Nursing and Midwifery shares her advice on health and wellbeing beyond the COVID-19 crisis phase and live with the ongoing challenge of a pandemic situation.
- Opinion: During COVID-19, women are opting for ‘freebirthing’ if homebirths aren’t available. And that’s a worry
- Opinion: Rising coronavirus cases among Victorian health workers could threaten our pandemic response
- The Conversation: No, Aussie bats won’t give you COVID-19, we rely on them more than you think
- Social Impact: Foodbank donations from glasshouse research
- The Conversation: Cutting ‘green tape’ may be good politicking, but it’s bad policy. Here are 5 examples of regulation failure
- Extreme conditions created a ‘perfect storm’ for catastrophic fires
- ARC Linkage funds research on early warning system for bushfires
Our researchers have compiled valuable resources in adapting to life during and beyond the current crises.
- Student Assistance Fund: Helping students with personalised support through Western Success
- Western’s short courses help displaced workers retrain for new careers
- Medical education the champion in the fight against COVID-19
- More choice and flexibility for HSC students in a disrupted final year of high school
We’re committed to our communities for the long-haul. Find resources and assistance for your community.
- Working and Studying Effectively and Respectfully during COVID-19
- Western Sydney Community Forum and Western Sydney University
- Fostering Connection for Isolated Families
- Nurses are not just needed now, they are essential to post-pandemic recovery
- Domestic violence resources from Equity and Diversity
- Western leads sector-wide commitment to gender equity post COVID-19
CatalystWest is Western Sydney University’s forum for world’s best evidence-based policy innovations and outcomes, shaped by genuine collaboration and driven by a belief that Australia’s most diverse and dynamic region should determine its own future.