Frequently Asked Questions

Attending campus

We welcome vaccinated and unvaccinated students on campus.

All staff and students are expected to follow public health advice and ensure their COVID-19 vaccinations are up to date, to help protect themselves and those around them from COVID-19.

You can check the vaccination requirements by industry to see whether it is necessary for you to have received a booster in order to work or attend your placement. Students who are medically contraindicated for vaccination can contact our Work Health Safety and Wellbeing team for further information and advice.

To help protect the health and safety of our University community, please ensure you are familiar with the measures that are in place:

  • If you are unwell, please stay home and do not attend campus. If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please ensure you get tested. If you test positive or are a close contact of a COVID-19 case, please follow the current self-isolation rules.
  • Please continue to follow simple hygiene measures to help protect your health. Wash your hands regularly, observe physical distancing measures, clean your workspaces with the provided cleaning supplies, do not share food, drinks or cutlery, and cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing. It is also strongly recommended to wear a face mask where it is not possible to maintain a physical distance of 1.5m.

In line with the changes to the NSW Government’s mandates on wearing face masks, the University will no longer mandate the use of face masks in all indoor settings. However, wearing a mask, particularly when you are not able to maintain a physical distance of 1.5 metres from others, is strongly recommended.

Please remember to bring your mask when attending campus, and be prepared to wear this if needed. Masks are still required in some settings, such as health clinics, and while using the University’s shuttle bus service. 

Unwell Student Protocols

If you feel unwell in any way, you should stay at home and if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms – even if they are minor – you should seek advice from your health practitioner.

Anyone who is identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive to COVID-19 no longer needs to isolate if they are not experiencing any symptoms. To check the guidelines that apply if you are a close contact, please visit the NSW Government's close contact guidelines webpage

If you are identified as a close contact, it is important to let us know by completing the online form so that we can support you. Once you have submitted the form, you will receive information relevant to being a close contact, including any next steps you need to take, the support available, and information on applying for disruption to studies in case this is relevant to you.  

If you are undertaking a placement in an aged care, hospital, disability, any health-related service or correctional facility setting, and you are identified as a close contact, you are not able to attend these facilities. Please liaise with your Subject Coordinator if you are unable to attend your placement activity as a result of being a close contact.

As always, if you are unwell or experience any symptoms which could indicate you are COVID positive, you must get tested and stay home until you have the result.

In addition to following NSW Health’s advice on managing COVID-19, it is important to let us know if you test positive to COVID-19 so that we can support you. Please complete the online form to tell us if you have tested positive. Once you have submitted the form, you will receive information relevant to testing positive, including any next steps you need to take, the support available, and information on applying for disruption to studies in case this is relevant to you.  

The COVID-19 Exposure Response Guidelines factsheet provides helpful information on various situations, the associated risk level and the steps you need to take, including whether you should attend campus, whether you need to take a test or if you need to isolate.

If you are unwell or identified as a close contact to someone who has tested positive to COVID-19 and you are required to isolate, and if your essential learning activities or exams and assessments have been impacted, you may be able to complete a Disruption to Studies application.

This will require you to include supporting documents. In this instance, a supporting document can be a text message sent to your close contact from NSW Health with dates of isolation period. Please include a screenshot of this with your application. In the supporting statement, please advise of how you are identified as a close contact – a photo of a rapid antigen test will not be accepted as supporting documentation.

There is clear medical evidence that vaccination against COVID-19 is an effective and safe tool to reduce the presence and severity of the virus in our communities. The overwhelming public health advice is to get vaccinated against COVID-19 and to get your booster shot when you become eligible (currently recommended three months after your second vaccine dose).

Ensuring most people are fully vaccinated provides us all with greater protection against the virus, particularly for those who may not be able to receive any vaccinations. Health and government authorities have also made it clear that keeping your vaccinations up to date is a key factor in minimising your risk of severe illness as a result of COVID-19. 

There are a number of websites where you can access FAQs and find out more about the COVID-19 vaccinations:  

Course advice and placements

Please visit the Health and Education website for frequently asked questions relating to clinical placements, including safety, risk assessments, Public Orders, personal protective equipment modules, flu vaccination, and screening for COVID-19 symptoms.

Student Wellbeing

The Department of Health has advised that some individuals may be at a greater risk of serious infection from

The University’s Coronavirus Hotline will work with students (along with their Subject Coordinator) who for medical reasons cannot attend campus.

There are many services that are here to assist you with your University journey, including our wellbeing services which can assist with counselling, crisis support and chaplaincy; welfare services to support you through personal or financial hardship and are a great touchpoint for referral services; and our disability service which can provide you with educational adjustments, access to assistive technology, and advocacy on disability-related issues if you have a temporary injury, a disability or a chronic health problem. You can read more about these services on our Student Wellbeing webpage.  

You may also wish to connect anonymously with students from universities around the world via TalkCampus. 

If you are an international student with an eligible Allianz Overseas Student Health Cover policy, you may be interested in Sonder, a free, 24/7 multilingual safety and wellbeing service app, which can connect you to help at the touch of a button.  

Students experiencing extreme financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 situation may be eligible for support from the Student Assistance Fund.

The Student Assistance Fund can help with basic living expenses for students who are facing serious financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Students are eligible if they can show that their basic living needs and their continued study may be at risk due to current financial hardship and they can provide evidence of serious and unavoidable disruption in addition to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

For more information on the financial support available and other services, contact the Coronavirus Support Line by phoning (02) 9852 5399, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, or by emailing

If you are a domestic student, you can also visit the Domestic Students COVID-19 Financial Assistance Support Application page for further details and to submit an application.

Onshore International students can visit the Onshore International Students COVID-19 Financial Assistance Support Application page to do the same.

Discrimination support

As one of the most culturally diverse universities in Australia, Western Sydney University is committed to a positive and supportive learning and working environment for all staff and students regardless of background. If you have any queries or concerns, please contact +61 02 9852 5399, Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm AEST, or email

Students can also contact Student Welfare Services at any time.

Sydney City Campus students

Western Sydney University partners with Sydney Institute of Business and Technology (SIBT) to deliver our courses in Sydney City. If you’re a student at Sydney City you can phone +61 (2) 8236 8037 or email any queries to