Dr Zoë Sofoulis
Dr Zoë Sofoulis is an Adjunct Research Fellow and associate member at ICS. With background interests in technology, culture and gender, she researches cultural aspects of urban water.
Prior to her 2010-11 National Water Commission Fellowship, Cross-Connections: Linking urban water managers with humanities, arts and social sciences researchers, Zoë led team projects on design, culture and access to recreational space in Penrith, and on demand management and everyday water cultures.
She has helped organise cross-sectoral workshops and symposia on the water including Tapping the Turn in 2012, from which two co-edited journal issues have recently been published.
- PhD, 1988, History of Consciousness, University of California, Santa Cruz, USA
- BA (Hons 1), 1979, Human Communication/Social Inquiry, Murdoch University, Western Australia
Awards and Recognition
- 1988: Doctoral Thesis nominated for California award of University Microfilms International Humanities dissertation prize.
- 1984, 1986: University of California Regent's Fellowships
- 1986: University of California, Santa Cruz Patent Fund and Graduate Research Award for conference travel and library research at UC Riverside.
- 1986: Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, UCSC
- 1984: UCSC Graduate Division travel award for attending 'Nuclear Criticism' conference
- 1982: Fulbright Foundation Cultural Enrichment Grant to attend disarmament events, New York, June.
- 1980-81: West Australian recipient, Caltex Woman Graduate of the Year Scholarship
- 1980: Fulbright Travel Grant for postgraduate studies.
Dr Sofoulis publishes as both Sofia and Sofoulis.
Mellick Lopes, A, Sofoulis, Z, Wakefield-Rann, R & Yu, Y 2017, Exploring the practices of Mandarin-speaking water drinkers, report for project Understanding the Drivers of Public Trust in Sydney Water, Institute for Culture and Society, Western Sydney University, Sydney.
Sofoulis, Z 2017, Customerisation—discussion paper, Institute for Culture and Society, Western Sydney University, Sydney.
Sofoulis, Z 2015, 'The cyborg, its manifesto and their relevance today: some reflections' (opens in a new window), Guest Editorial for Platform: Journal of Media and Communication, Special Issue: 'A manifesto for cyborgs thirty years on' (opens in a new window), vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 8-15.
Lahiri-Dutt, K, Fam, D & Sofoulis, Z 2015, 'Scaling down: researching household water practices', Editors' introduction to themed section of ACME: An International E-Journal of Critical Geographies, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 639-651.
Fam, D & Sofoulis, Z 2015, 'Local adaptations in a changing water climate: small-scale infrastructures', Editorial for Local Environment: The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability , vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 525-528.
Sofoulis, Z 2015, 'A Knowledge ecology of urban Australian household water consumption', An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 765-785.
Sofoulis, Z 2015, 'The trouble with tanks: unsettling dominant Australian urban water management paradigms', Local Environment: The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 529-547.
Sofoulis, Z 2012, 'Water systems adaptation: an Australian cultural researcher's perspective', Invited editorial for Water Resources Management, vol. 26 no. 15, 949-951.
Sofoulis, Z 2012, 'Below the double bottom line: the challenge of socially sustainable urban water strategies' (opens in a new window), Water and climate: policy implementation challenges - practical responses to climate change, national conference, 1-3 May 2012, Engineers Australia, Canberra.
Sofoulis, Z 2012, 'Knowledge integration and digital infrastructures: some fantasies and complications' (opens in a new window), Digital culture and society: questions of method panel (with T Bennett, B Hodge & N Rossiter), Digital Humanities Australasia 2012 Conference, 28-30 March, ANU, Canberra.