Western Sydney University is a globally recognised node for Human Geography and the cognate disciplines of Urban Planning, Heritage and Tourism Studies. Geography is above world standard (Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA)), in the global top 200 (QS rankings), and recognised as High Impact (ERA Impact and Engagement assessment, 2018).
Geography at Western has pushed theoretical frontiers. The Geographers have fundamentally rethought political economies, economic regulation, housing access and integrated transport planning. They were pioneers in the re-emergence of social and cultural geography in Australia, leading critical research on the Anthropocene, human-nature interactions, sustainability, gender, sexuality and community relations. Western’s critical heritage studies championed inclusive and sustainable forms of heritage led tourism development.
Geography at Western applies theoretical insight and empirical rigour to the grand challenges of contemporary urbanism. This is embedded within accredited and award winning undergraduate and graduate programs, and one of the largest PhD cohorts in Australia.
- Professor Robyn Bushell
- Jenna Condie, Senior Lecturer
- Associate Professor Louise Crabtree, Principle Research Fellow
- Dr Sarah De Nardi, Lecturer
- Dr Rae Dufty-Jones, Senior Lecturer
- Professor Kevin Dunn, Pro Vice-Chancellor, Research
- Professor Andrew Gorman-Murray
- Stephen Healy, Senior Research Fellow
- Dr Garth Lean, Senior Lecturer
- Professor Nicky Morrison
- Dr Felicity Picken, Lecturer
- Dr Gerda Roelvink, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Hayley Saul, Senior Lecturer
- Benjamin Smith, Director of Research
- Dr Jessica Weir, Senior Research Fellow
Ranked in the top 20 in Australia and top 200 worldwide for Geography