Professor Joseph Cheer
Acting Associate Dean, International,
Dean's Unit, School of Social Sciences
Professor of Sustainable Tourism and Heritage,
Geography, Tourism & Planning
Joseph is Professor of Sustainable Tourism and Heritage, School of Social Sciences, Western Sydney University, Australia (2023). In 2022, Western Sydney University was ranked 1st in the world for impact according to the Times Higher Education Impact Rankings - global performance tables that assess universities against the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). He was formerly Professor of Sustainable Tourism, Center for Tourism Research, Wakayama University, Japan.
He is presently Co Editor-in-Chief of the scientific journal Tourism Geographies - according to Scopus (April 2022), Tourism Geographies is ranked 2nd in Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality Management and 2nd in Geography, Planning and Development, subject groups respectively.
Joseph took on the role as Co-Chair of the World Economic Forum Future Council on the Future of Sustainable Tourism in 2023. He is also a board member of PATA (Pacific Asia Travel Association) since 2022.
Joseph has received research funding from Japan Society for the Promotion of Sciences (JSPS), Australian Research Council (ARC), Tourism Research Australia, Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade (DFAT), Australia Japan Foundation and Australia China Council, among others. Joseph is a Board Member of Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA), International Geographical Union (IGU) Tourism Commission, American Association of Geographers Recreation, Tourism and Sport (AAG-RTS) and Critical Tourism Studies Asia Pacific.
In 2022, Joseph delivered the International Geographical Union (IGU) Distinguished Lecture at the IGU Centennial Congress at the Sorbonne, Paris. Also in 2022, he lectured in Harvard University’s Sustainable Tourism Program and Summer School in the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, and in the School of Hospitality & Tourism Management, University of Surrey, among others.
Joseph earned his PhD at Monash University, Australia, and he presently holds adjunct professorships at Wakayama University (Japan), Auckland University of Technology (New Zealand) and UCSI University (Malaysia). In 2022, he was a visiting fellow at Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (2022), Barcelona and has had similar stints in Sweden (Mid-Sweden University), Sri Lanka (University of Colombo) and Japan (Hiroshima University and University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa).
Joseph is a prolific writer, analyst and consultant and sought after public speaker, having published numerous books, research articles, and reports analysing tourism and the wider visitor economy, as well as speaking at events around the globe. Most recently, in April 2023, he was invited by the Korea Tourism Organization and the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism of the Republic of Korea to speak at the Seoul Lecture Series hosted by the Hyundai Research Institute.
This information has been contributed by Professor Cheer.
- PhD Monash University
- Asia Studies
- Human Geography
- Tourism, heritage, the environment and the transformation of place
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit, School of Social Sciences
- Geography, Tourism & Planning
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9190|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Cheer, J., Hayward, P. and Prince, S. (2023), 'Islandscapes and Tourism: An Anthology', : CABI 9781800621510.
- Progano, R., Cheer, J. and Santos, X. (2023), 'Host Communities and Pilgrimage Tourism: Asia and Beyond', : Springer 9789811996764 .
- Sin, H., Mostafanezhad, M. and Cheer, J. (2022), 'Recentering Tourism Geographies in the "Asian century"', : Routledge 9781032208282.
- Novelli, M., Cheer, J., Dolezal, C., Jones, A. and Milano, C. (2022), 'Handbook of Niche Tourism', : Edward Elgar Publishing 9781839100178.
- Lew, A., Cheer, J., Brouder, P. and Mostafanezhad, M. (2022), 'Global Tourism and Covid-19: Implications for Theory and Practice', : Routledge 9781032121369.
- Porter, B., Schanzel, H. and Cheer, J. (2021), 'Masculinities in the Field: Tourism and Transdisciplinary Research', : Channel View Publications 9781845417963.
- Milano, C., Novelli, M. and Cheer, J. (2021), 'Travel and Tourism in the Age of Overtourism', : Routledge 9780367691523.
- Milano, C., Cheer, J. and Novelli, M. (2019), 'Overtourism: Excesses, Discontents and Measures in Travel and Tourism', : CABI 9781786399823.
- Cheer, J., Mathews, L., Van Doore, K. and Flanagan, K. (2019), 'Modern Day Slavery and Orphanage Tourism', : CABI 9781789240795.
- Cheer, J. and Lew, A. (2018), 'Toruism, Resilience and Sustainability: Adapting to Social, Political and Economic Change', : Routledge 9781138206786.
- Lew, A. and Cheer, J. (2018), 'Tourism Resilience and Adaptation to Environmental Change: Definitions and Frameworks', : Routledge 9781138206793.
Chapters in Books
- Orsua, N., Cheer, J. and Blaer, M. (2023), 'Gender empowerment in tourism development : female bungalow hosts in Vanuatu', Routledge Handbook on Tourism and Small Island States in the Pacific, Routledge 9780367030322.
- Sibanda, T. and Cheer, J. (2021), 'Impacts of tourism on the livelihoods of women in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe', Tourism, Change and the Global South, Routledge 9780367549534.
- Cheer, J. and Lew, A. (2018), 'Understanding tourism resilience : adapting to social, political, and economic change', Tourism, Resilience and Sustainability: Adapting to Social, Political and Economic Change, Routledge 9781138206786.
- Cheer, J. (2018), 'Resilience in the visitor economy : cultural economy, human social networks, and slow change in the regional periphery', Tourism, Resilience and Sustainability: Adapting to Social, Political and Economic Change, Routledge 9781138206786.
- Lew, A. and Cheer, J. (2018), 'Lessons learned : globalization, change, and resilience in tourism communities', Tourism, Resilience and Sustainability: Adapting to Social, Political and Economic Change, Routledge 9781138206786.
- Reeves, K. and Cheer, J. (2016), 'Examining Vanuatu's World War II memorial places and events', Battlefield Events: Landscape, Commemoration and Heritage, Routledge 9781138900592.
- Reeves, K. and Cheer, J. (2015), '"Tingbaot Wol Wo II long Pasifik aelan" : managing memories of WWII heritage in the Pacific', Heritage and Memory of War: Responses from Small Islands, Routledge 9781138831728.
- Cheer, J., Reeves, K. and Laing, J. (2015), 'Debunking Pacific utopias : Chief Roi Mata's Domain and the re-imagining of people and place in Vanuatu', Tourism in Pacific Islands: Current Issues and Future Challenges, Routledge 9781138775350.
- Bellato, L., Frantzeskaki, N., Tebrakunna country, .., Lee, E., Cheer, J. and Peters, A. (2023), '[In Press] Transformative epistemologies for regenerative tourism : towards a decolonial paradigm in science and practice?', Journal of Sustainable Tourism, .
- Iaquinto, B., Cheer, J. and Roelofsen, M. (2023), '[In Press] Coercive geographies : biopower, spatial politics, and the tourist', Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space, .
- Cheer, J., Mostafanezhad, M. and Lew, A. (2022), 'Cultural ecosystem services and placemaking in peripheral areas : a tourism geographies agenda', Tourism Geographies, vol 24, no 4-5 , pp 495 - 500.
- Scheyvens, R. and Cheer, J. (2022), 'Tourism, the SDGs and partnerships', Journal of Sustainable Tourism, vol 30, no 10 , pp 2271 - 2281.
- Ito, E. and Cheer, J. (2022), 'Everyday cycling mobilities and tourist behaviour : the emergence of cycle tourism as COVID-secure activity', Journal of Responsible Tourism Management, vol 2, no 1 , pp 10 - 17.
- Ito, E., Higham, J. and Cheer, J. (2022), 'Carbon emission reduction and the Tokyo 2020 Olympics', Annals of Tourism Research Empirical Insights, vol 3, no 2 .
- Hardy, A., Young, T., Cheer, J., Scheyvens, R. and Movono, A. (2022), 'Humanising research : a citizen social science agenda', Annals of Tourism Research, vol 96 .
- Progano, R., Kato, K. and Cheer, J. (2021), 'Visitor diversification in pilgrimage destinations : comparing national and international visitors through means-end', Tourism Geographies, vol 23, no 4 , pp 833 - 854.
- Maciuk, K., Apollo, M., Cheer, J., Konecny, O., Koziol, K., Kudrys, J., Mostowska, J., Rog, M., Skorupa, B. and Szombara, S. (2021), 'Determining peak altitude on maps, books and cartographic materials : multidisciplinary implications', Remote Sensing, vol 13, no 6 .
- Bellato, L. and Cheer, J. (2021), 'Inclusive and regenerative urban tourism : capacity development perspectives', International Journal of Tourism Cities, vol 7, no 4 , pp 943 - 961.
- Qu, M. and Cheer, J. (2021), 'Community art festivals and sustainable rural revitalisation', Journal of Sustainable Tourism, vol 29, no 11-12 , pp 1756 - 1775.
- Sin, H., Mostafanezhad, M. and Cheer, J. (2021), 'Tourism geographies in the 'Asian Century'', Tourism Geographies, vol 23, no 4 , pp 649 - 658.
- Apollo, M., Mostowska, J., Maciuk, K., Wengel, Y., Jones, T. and Cheer, J. (2021), 'Peak-bagging and cartographic misrepresentations : a call to correction', Current Issues in Tourism, vol 24, no 14 , pp 1970 - 1975.
- Cheer, J. (2020), 'Tourism and its discontents in the global south', Current History, vol 119, no 813 , pp 29 - 33.
- Cheer, J. (2020), 'Human flourishing, tourism transformation and COVID-19 : a conceptual touchstone', Tourism Geographies, vol 22, no 3 , pp 514 - 524.
- Ting, H., Jean, L., Meng, L., Cheah, J. and Cheer, J. (2020), 'Editorial : responsible tourism : a call to action for turbulent times', Asian Journal of Business Research, vol 10, no 2 .
- Cheer, J., Milano, C. and Novelli, M. (2019), 'Tourism and community resilience in the Anthropocene : accentuating temporal overtourism', Journal of Sustainable Tourism, vol 27, no 4 , pp 554 - 572.
- Zamanillo Tamborrel, L. and Cheer, J. (2019), 'Harnessing empathy in hospitality and tourism : are conversations the answer?', Hospitality and Society, vol 9, no 1 , pp 53 - 70.
- Milano, C., Novelli, M. and Cheer, J. (2019), 'Overtourism and degrowth : a social movements perspective', Journal of Sustainable Tourism, vol 27, no 12 , pp 1857 - 1875.
- Cheer, J., Pratt, S., Tolkach, D., Bailey, A., Taumoepeau, S. and Movono, A. (2018), 'Tourism in Pacific island countries : a status quo round-up', Asia and the Pacific Policy Studies, vol 5, no 3 , pp 442 - 461.
- Cheer, J. (2018), 'Geographies of marginalization : encountering modern slavery in tourism', Tourism Geographies, vol 20, no 4 , pp 728 - 733.
- Cheer, J. and Herrschner, I. (2018), 'Cinematic diplomacy and the exotic other in the film Tanna : implications for bilateral relations and tourism', International Journal of Tourism Anthropology, vol 6, no 3 , pp 201 - 218.
- Han, X. and Cheer, J. (2018), 'Chinese tourist mobilities and destination resilience : regional tourism perspectives', Asian Journal of Tourism Research, vol 3, no 1 , pp 159 - 187.
- Herrschner, I. and Cheer, J. (2018), 'Editorial : synthesising film, representation and othering : film festivals and nation branding redux', International Journal of Tourism Anthropology, vol 6, no 3 , pp 191 - 200.
- Bowers, H. and Cheer, J. (2017), 'Yoga tourism : commodification and western embracement of eastern spiritual practice', Tourism Management Perspectives, vol 24 , pp 208 - 216.
- Cheer, J., Cole, S., Reeves, K. and Kato, K. (2017), 'Tourism and islandscapes : cultural realignment, social-ecological resilience and change', Shima: The International Journal of Research into Island Cultures, vol 11, no 1 , pp 40 - 54.
- Cheer, J., Belhassen, Y. and Kujawa, J. (2017), 'The search for spirituality in tourism : toward a conceptual framework for spiritual tourism', Tourism Management Perspectives, vol 24 , pp 252 - 256.
- Cheer, J. and Reeves, K. (2013), 'Roots tourism : blackbirding and the South Sea Islander diaspora', Tourism Analysis, vol 18, no 3 , pp 245 - 257.
- Cheer, J., Reeves, K. and Laing, J. (2013), 'Tourism and traditional culture : land diving in Vanuatu', Annals of Tourism Research, vol 43 , pp 435 - 455.
- Cheer, J. and Peel, V. (2011), 'The tourism-foreign aid nexus in Vanuatu : future directions', Tourism Planning and Development, vol 8, no 3 , pp 253 - 264.
- Cheer, J. (2010), 'Kicking goals or offside : is tourism development in the Pacific helping progress towards the MDGs?', Pacific Economic Bulletin, vol 25, no 1 , pp 151 - 161.
- 2021, 'Realising the Opportunities of Chinese Tourism: A Comparative Study', Report
Please see a summary of my work at the following:
Google Scholar - https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=qPVIJlcAAAAJ
Research Gate - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Joseph-Cheer
This information has been contributed by Professor Cheer.
|Thesis Title:||Understanding Stakeholders? Perception, Determinant Factors, and Attitude Towards Sustainable Tourism in Indonesian Tourism Villages|
|Field of Research:|