Doctor Jessica Weir
Senior Research Fellow,
Institute for Culture and Society
- PhD The Australian National University
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Institute for Culture and Society
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Weir, J. (2009), 'The Gunditjmara Land Justice Story', : Australian Institute for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies 9780855754396.
- Weir, J. (2009), 'Murray River Country: an Ecological Dialogue with Traditional Owners', : Aboriginal Studies Press 9780855756789.
Chapters in Books
- Weir, J., Sutton, S. and Catt, G. (2020), 'The theory/practice of disaster justice : learning from Indigenous peoples' fire management', Natural Hazards and Disaster Justice: Challenges for Australia and Its Neighbours, Palgrave Macmillan 9789811504655.
- Williamson, B., Weir, J. and Cavanagh, V. (2020), 'Aboriginal people find strength despite perpetual grief', Continent Aflame: Responses to an Australian Catastrophe, Palaver 9780648855101.
- Weir, J. (2016), 'Hope and farce : indigenous peoples' water reforms during the Millennium Drought', Unstable Relations: Indigenous People and Environmentalism in Contemporary Australia, UWA Publishing 9781742588780.
- Tran, T., Weir, J., Strelein, L. and Stacey, C. (2015), 'Indigenous governance and climate change adaptation : two native title case studies from Australia', Applied Studies in Climate Adaptation, Wiley-Blackwell 9781118845011.
- Weir, J. (2013), 'Karajarri : native title and governance in the West Kimberley', Living with Native Title: the Experiences of Registered Native Title Corporations, AIATSIS Research Publications 9781922102201.
- Bauman, T., Strelein, L. and Weir, J. (2013), 'Navigating complexity : living with native title', Living with Native Title: the Experiences of Registered Native Title Corporations, AIATSIS Research Publications 9781922102201.
- Weir, J., Stone, J. and Mulardy, M. (2012), 'Water Planning and Native Title : a Karajarri and government engagement in the West Kimberley', Country: Native Title and Ecology, Australian National University E Press 9781921862557.
- Weir, J. (2012), 'Country, native title and ecology', Country, Native Title and Ecology, Australian National University E Press 9781921862557.
- Weir, J. (2011), 'Water planning and dispossession', Basin futures: Water Reform in the Murray-Darling Basin, Australian National University E Press 9781921862243.
- Strelein, L. and Weir, J. (2009), 'Conservation and human rights in the context of native title in Australia', Rights-based Approaches: Exploring Issues and Opportunities for Conservation, Centre for International Forestry Research 9789791412896.
- Weir, J. (2007), 'The traditional owner experience along the Murray River', Fresh Water: New Perspectives on Water in Australia, Melbourne University Press 9780522854244.
- Weir, J. and Ross, S. (2007), 'Beyond native title : Murray Lower Darling Rivers indigenous nations', The Social Effects of Native Title: Recognition, Translation, Coexistence, Australian National University E Press 9781921313516.
- Morgan, M., Strelein, L. and Weir, J. (2006), 'Authority, knowledge and values : indigenous nations engagement in the management of natural resources in the Murray-Darling Basin', Settling with Indigenous People: Modern Treaty and Agreement-Making, Federation Press 9781862876187.
- Smith, W., Neale, T. and Weir, J. (2021), 'Persuasion without policies : the work of reviving Indigenous peoples' fire management in southern Australia', Geoforum, vol 120 , pp 82 - 92.
- Harriden, K., Weir, J. and Cunio, K. (2020), 'Climate grief, expert evidence, and academic practice', Transform, vol 5 , pp 13 - 26.
- Williamson, B., Markham, F. and Weir, J. (2020), 'Aboriginal peoples and the response to the 2019-2020 bushfires', CAEPR Working Paper, vol 134/2020 , pp 1 - 21.
- Thomassin, A., Neale, T. and Weir, J. (2019), 'The natural hazard sector's engagement with Indigenous peoples : a critical review of CANZUS countries', Geographical Research, vol 57, no 2 , pp 164 - 177.
- Weir, J., Woelfle-Erskine, C., Fuller, S., Diver, S. and Higgins, M. (2019), 'Investigating best practice : doctoral fieldwork experiences with and without Indigenous communities in settler-colonial societies', ACME, vol 18, no 6 , pp 1300 - 1320.
- Weir, J. and Duff, N. (2017), 'Who is looking after country? : interpreting and attributing land management responsibilities on native title lands', Australian Journal of Public Administration, vol 76, no 4 , pp 426 - 442.
- Neale, T., Weir, J. and McGee, T. (2016), 'Knowing wildfire risk : scientific interactions with risk mitigation policy and practice in Victoria, Australia', Geoforum, vol 72 , pp 16 - 25.
- Neale, T., Weir, J. and Dovers, S. (2016), 'Science in motion : integrating scientific knowledge into bushfire risk mitigation in southwest Victoria', Australian Journal of Emergency Management, vol 31, no 2 , pp 13 - 17.
- Neale, T. and Weir, J. (2015), 'Navigating scientific uncertainty in wildfire and flood risk mitigation : a qualitative review', International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, vol 13 , pp 255 - 265.
- McLennan, B., Weir, J., Eburn, M., Handmer, J., Dovers, S. and Norman, B. (2014), 'Negotiating risk and responsibility through law, policy and planning', Australian Journal of Emergency Management, vol 29, no 3 , pp 22 - 28.
- Weir, J., Crew, D. and Crew, J. (2013), 'Wetland forest culture : Indigenous activity for management change in the Southern Riverina, New South Wales', Australasian Journal of Environmental Management, vol 20, no 3 , pp 193 - 207.
- Weir, J. (2008), 'Connectivity', Australian Humanities Review, vol 45 , pp 153 - 164.
- Weir, J., Neale, T. and Clarke, L. (2017), 'Science is critical but it's not everything : our findings', Bushfire and Natural Hazard CRC and AFAC. Conference, Sydney, N.S.W..
- Weir, J. (2013), 'Fire authorities and planners : reducing risk across diverse landscapes', Bushfire CRC & AFAC Conference Research Forum, Melbourne, Vic..
- 2020, 'Extraction Zombies', Published Work
- 2020, 'The S.S. Academy', Published Work
- 2020, 'Pass the Ball', Published Work
- 2020, 'Hazards, Culture and Indigenous Communities: Socio-institutional Modules for Utilisation', Report
- 2020, 'Indigenous Land', Published Work
- 2019, 'Scientific Diversity, Scientific Uncertainty and Risk Mitigation Policy & Planning: Final Report', Report
- 2019, 'Fire in the South: A Cross-Continential Exchange', Report
- 2013, 'Weeds and Native Title: Law and Assumption', Report
- 2013, 'Changes to Country and Culture, Changes to Climate: Strengthening Institutions for Indigenous Resilience and Adaptation: Final Report', Report
- 2013, 'Cultural Water and the Edward/Kolety and Wakool River System', Report
- 2011, 'The Benefits Associated with Caring for Country: Literature Review', Report
- 2009, 'Our Understandings of Water and How they Translate into our Decision Making', Report
|Title:||Scientific Diversity, Scientific Uncertainty and Risk Mitigation Policy and Planning|
|Western Researchers:||Jessica Weir|
|Years:||2014-01-01 - 2022-06-30|
|Title:||Cultural hazards: knowledge, practice and risk management with Aboriginal communities in southern Australia|
|Western Researchers:||Jessica Weir|
|Years:||2017-07-01 - 2021-06-30|