Associate Professor Nichole Georgeou
Associate Dean, Engagement And International,
Dean's Unit School Of Social Sciences
Associate Professor In Humanitarian And Development Studies,
Humanitarian And Development Studies
Dr Nichole Georgeou is Associate Dean International (South Asia) and Director, Humanitarian and Development Research Initiative (HADRI) at Western Sydney University where she is Senior Lecturer, Humanitarian and Development Studies.
Nichole holds a PhD in Development Sociology, a Master of Social Change and Development (Research) and a Bachelor of Creative Arts from University of Wollongong (UOW), and a Diploma of Education from University of Newcastle.
Her areas of research and academic writing broadly fall into three streams (1) civil society and volunteering for development; (2) aid and development, and (3) human security and food systems. Her expertise in development volunteering is internationally recognised and has resulted in her being invited to the United Nations Volunteers Headquarters, Bonn Germany in July 2015 to develop a vision and strategic global research agenda on ‘volunteering for sustainable development’.
She is the author of the 2012 study Neoliberalism, Development and Aid Volunteering (Routledge) and her research has been published in Journal of Sociology, Australian Journal of History and Politics, Australian Journal of Political Science, PORTAL, PLOS One, Pacific Dynamics, and Voluntas.
Nichole worked in the private, government, community and aid sectors in Australia, Japan and Vietnam before becoming an academic. She continues to play an active role in issues of aid and development through advocacy work in her role as co-Chair of Academics Stand Against Poverty (ASAP), Oceania, an international community of academics confronting the rules and practices that perpetuate global poverty using evidence based research approaches.
Nichole is an editorial board member of International Gramsci Journal and a regular article and book reviewer for journals in the disciplines of sociology and politics.
- Volunteering for development
- Civil society and the Third Sector
- International human rights protection
- Australian aid policy
- Responsibility to Protect
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Georgeou.
- SSAP Award for Teaching and Learning that has Contributed for the Public Good 2017-12-18
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit School Of Social Sciences
- Humanitarian And Development Studies
- Development Studies Association Australia (DSAA)
- SSAP Executive Committee
- SSAP Research Committee
- Academics Stand Against Poverty (ASAP) Oceania
|Phone:||(02) 47360 146|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Georgeou, N. (2012), 'Neoliberalism, Development and Aid Volunteering', : Routledge 9780415809153.
Chapters in Books
- Schismenos, S., Stevens, G., Emmanouloudis, D., Georgeou, N., Chalaris, M. and Smith, A. (2019), 'Local disaster vulnerability analysis : an approach to identify communities ', Youth Science Policy Interface Publication - 2nd Special Edition: Disaster Risk Reduction: Moving Forward, Thinking Ahead, UN Major Group for Children and Youth .
- Schismenos, S., Stevens, G., Georgeou, N., Emmanouloudis, D., Smith, A. and Wali, N. (2019), 'Localized disaster management and community development in Western Africa : challenges and opportunities in Nigeria ', Youth Science Policy Interface Publication - 2nd Special Edition: Disaster Risk Reduction: Moving Forward, Thinking Ahead, UN Major Group for Children and Youth .
- Georgeou, N. and Haas, B. (2019), 'University student volunteering for development : towards a critical approach', University and Society: Interdependencies and Exchange, Edward Elgar Publishing 9781788974707.
- Bienz, T., Schismenos, S., Stevens, G., Tran, C. and Georgeou, N. (2019), 'Incubators as potential tools for employment creation : policy implications for Sub-Saharan Africa', The Next Generation of Work: Pathways to Sustainable Economies and Decent Jobs for All by 2030, United Nations Major Group for Children and Youth .
- Hawksley, C. and Georgeou, N. (2016), 'The responsibility to protect and the 'responsibility to assist' : developing human rights protection through police building', The United Nations and Genocide, Palgrave Macmillan 9781137484482.
- Hawksley, C. and Georgeou, N. (2015), 'Transitional justice as police-building in Solomon Islands : tensions of state building and implications for gender', Current Issues in Transitional Justice: Towards a More Holistic Approach, Springer 9783319093895.
- Georgeou, N. and Hawksley, C. (2014), 'West Papua and Indonesia : a forgotten conflict?', The Globalization of World Politics: Case Studies from Australia, New Zealand and the Asia Pacific, Oxford University Press 9780195525663.
- Georgeou, N. and Haas, B. (2019), 'Power, exchange and solidarity : case studies in youth volunteering for development', Voluntas, vol 30 , pp 1406 - 1419.
- Georgeou, N., Hawksley, C., Monks, J. and Ki'i, M. (2019), 'Food security and asset creation in Solomon Islands : gender and the political economy of agricultural production for Honiara Central Market', PORTAL: Journal of Multidisciplinary International Studies, vol 16, no 1-2 , pp 101 - 118.
- Dhingra, N., Georgeou, N. and Renzaho, A. (2018), ''Life is pulled back by such things' : intersections between language acquisition, qualifications, employment and access to settlement services among migrants in Western Sydney', Journal of Intercultural Studies, vol 39, no 1 , pp 85 - 101.
- Georgeou, N., Hawksley, C. and Monks, J. (2018), 'Food security in Solomon Islands : preliminary results from a survey of the Honiara Central Market', Pacific Dynamics, vol 2, no 1 , pp 53 - 70.
- Stevens, G., Wali, N., Georgeou, N. and Tadjoeddin, Z. (2018), 'Understanding the relationship between humanitarian and development interventions : a mixed-methods systematic review protocol', Social Science Protocols, vol 1 .
- Hawksley, C. and Georgeou, N. (2018), 'Don't divert foreign aid spending to drought relief', Australian Outlook, vol 21 August .
- Renzaho, A., Dhingra, N. and Georgeou, N. (2017), 'Youth as contested sites of culture : the intergenerational acculturation gap amongst new migrant communities : parental and young adult perspectives', PLoS One, vol 12, no 2 .
- Renzaho, A., Kamara, J., Georgeou, N. and Kamanga, G. (2017), 'Sexual, reproductive health needs, and rights of young people in slum areas of Kampala, Uganda : a cross sectional study', PLoS One, vol 12, no 1 .
- Devereux, P., Paull, M., Hawkes, M. and Georgeou, N. (2017), 'Volunteering and the UN sustainable development goals : finding common ground between national and international volunteering agendas?', Third Sector Review, vol 23, no 1 , pp 209 - 234.
- Georgeou, N. and Hawksley, C. (2017), 'Challenges for sustainable communities in Solomon Islands : food production, market sale and livelihoods on Savo Island', Portal: Journal of Multidisciplinary International Studies, vol 14, no 2 , pp 67 - 86.
- Couch, J. and Georgeou, N. (2017), 'Do immersion tours have long-term transformative impacts on students? : a study of Australian university students in a Tibetan host community in India', Journal of Applied Youth Studies, vol 2, no 2 , pp 18 - 35.
- McGloin, C. and Georgeou, N. (2016), '"Looks good on your CV" : the sociology of voluntourism recruitment in higher education', Journal of Sociology, vol 52, no 2 , pp 403 - 417.
- Georgeou, N. (2016), 'The global public sphere : public communication in the age of reflective interdependence', Journal of Sociology, vol 52, no 4 , pp 1 - 2.
- Georgeou, N. (2016), 'Mary Mostafanezhad, 2014: Volunteer Tourism: Popular Humanitarianism in Neoliberal Times, Farnham, Ashgate, 176 pp., EUR 74,00 ISBN: 978-1-4094-6953-7', Voluntaris, vol 4, no 2 , pp 267 - 270.
- Georgeou, N. and Hawksley, C. (2016), 'Australian aid in the Pacific Islands', Australian Outlook, vol 26 July .
- Georgeou, N. (2014), 'Book review : Regulation of Sexual Conduct in UN Peacekeeping Operations, by Olivera Simic, Heidelbert, Springer, 2012', Griffith Law Review, vol 23, no 1 , pp 149 - 151.
- Hawksley, C. and Georgeou, N. (2013), 'Issues in Australian foreign policy July to December 2012', Australian Journal of History and Politics, vol 59, no 2 , pp 260 - 275.
- Georgeou, N. and Engel, S. (2011), 'The impact of neoliberalism and new managerialism on development volunteering : an Australian case study', Australian Journal of Political Science, vol 46, no 2 , pp 297 - 311.
- Georgeou, N. (2010), 'From Hoshi to Borantia : transformations of volunteering in Japan and implications for foreign policy', Voluntas, vol 21, no 4 , pp 467 - 480.
- 2018, 'Women and Wash in Nepal: Key Issues and Challenges', Report
- 2015, 'Human Security and Livelihoods in Savo Island, Solomon Islands: Engaging with the Market Economy: A Report for Honiara City Council', Report
|Title:||Better Elder Care: Culturally and linguistically appropriate care and service provision for older migrants 65+ in Greater Western Sydney|
|Western Researchers:||Nichole Georgeou and Karin Mackay|
|Years:||2019-11-04 - 2020-12-31|
|Thesis Title:||The Psychosocial Impact of Labour Trafficking in Asia: a mixed-methods study of returned Bangladeshi survivors in 2015|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Voluntourism and Development in Nepal: A Local Perspective|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Urban Planning, Sustainable Development and Flooding: A Case Study of Port Harcourt City, Nigeria|
|Field of Research:||Other Society And Culture|
|Thesis Title:||From fear to collaboration; Community Based Peacebuilding to conflict context in South Asia. (A Case Study on Sri Lanka and Nepal)|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||The Wellbeing of Aboriginal Children who Attend a `Two-way' Independent Separatist School in Remote Australia: a post-colonial case study|
|Field of Research:||Society And Culture|
|Thesis Title:||Family Conflict and Conflict Resolution among Zimbabwean Migrants in Greater Western Sydney|
|Field of Research:||Society And Culture|
|Title:||Australian Aid in the Pacific Islands|
|Description:||Australian Outlook (Australian Institute of International Affairs), July 2016|
|Title:||Asia-Pacific. (Section IV: Civil Society in Asia-Pacific)|
|Description:||International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect|
|Title:||Gap year: the pros and cons of voluntourism|
|Description:||The Age, 21 December 2014|
|Title:||Volunteer placements in development: 10 ways to make them count|
|Description:||Global Development Professionals Network, The Guardian, 3 May 2013|
|Title:||Volunteer tourism-when doing good could be bad|
|Description:||Business Day Live, 6 July 2015|