Clinical Trials Manager/Dietitian/DEXA Technologist – Blacktown Hospital, University Clinic & Research Centre, Blacktown Hospital
Adjunct Fellow – Western Sydney University.
Allison Sigmund has a Bachelor of Applied Science and a Masters in Nutrition and Dietetics. She is an Accredited Practicing Dietitian and began her career working within the Diabetes Centre at Mt Druitt Hospital. She has more than 25 years experience working in both clinical Dietetics and management at Blacktown & Mt Druitt Hospitals. She has also undertaken project and management roles within Western Sydney Area Health Service.
Allison has been a Clinical Trial Manager at Blacktown Hospital since 2012 working with Dr Mark McLean and has several projects underway. She has been the Trial Manager for a number of large multinational pharmaceutical cardiovascular outcome studies most notable, Liraglutide and Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes (LEADER) and Semaglutide and Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes (SUSTAIN) which have had extremely successful recruitment and retention of patients. Also working on REAL 1 an adult growth hormone study which has recently been completed.
She has a strong interest in the area of diabetes in particular gestational diabetes. As an Adjunct Fellow with Western Sydney University she is currently following a cohort of women in Western Sydney over 5 years who have had gestational diabetes. Early results of the study have been published in poster presentations at Australasian Diabetes in Pregnancy Society Conferences and have attracted significant media attention in relation to perception of women’s attitudes to weight loss. The study has completed recruitment and has 3 years of follow up to complete the study.
Allison has been trained as a DEXA Technician and is highly experienced in performing body composition and bone density scanning within the unit. This has lead to a new role in Osteoporosis Refracture Prevention at Blacktown Hospital and future research will be undertaken in this area.
- Gestational Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Obesity & Weight Loss
- Bone Health
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Food & Nutrition), University of Western Sydney
- Master of Nutrition & Dietetics, University of Sydney
- Certificate IV Training & Assessment (Education), Trainwell
- Bone Mineral Densitometry - Measurement & Interpretation, St Vincent’s Clinic
- Blacktown Post-Gestational Diabetes Cohort Study: 5 year study following women who have had a pregnancy complicated by diabetes.
- CHAMPION: Study comparing the incidence and duration of hypoglycaemia as assessed by Continuous Glucose Monitoring in patients over 65 years of age or older with Type 2 Diabetes, treated with insulin Glargine (Toujeo) and Insulin Glulisine (Apidra) versus twice daily Pre-Mix insulin. Study Grant – Sanofi.
- ToBGOM: Randomised trial of early testing for GDM. NHMRC Grant
- MiTY: Randomised trial of metformin in pregnancy in women with Type 2 diabetes. Sponsored Canadian Study
- EXPECT: A trial comparing the effect and safety of insulin degludec versus insulin detemir, both in combination with insulin aspart, in the treatment of pregnant women with type 1 diabetes. Pharmaceutical Sponsored – Novo Nordisk
- Subcontinental GDM prevention study: Developing and piloting an educational resource to prevent GDM in Subcontinental women. Study Grant – Novo Nordisk.
- Fracture Liaison Coordination: NSW Health – Leading Better Value Care
- WSLHD Research Management Committee
Recent media coverage
Research & Publications
- Accuracy of women’s self-perception of body-weight and Type 2 diabetes risk at 3 months after a pregnancy complicated by gestational diabetes: does it matter? Read abstract (opens in a new window)