Associate Professor Sandro Mezzadra
Sandro Mezzadra works as an Associate Professor of Political Theory at the University of Bologna, where he teaches postcolonial studies and contemporary political theory.
He has published widely on the areas of migration, postcolonial theory, contemporary capitalism, Italian operaismo and autonomist Marxism. He recently completed a book with Brett Neilson, Border as method, or, the multiplication of labor (2013, Duke University Press). His writings have been translated into ten languages: Italian, French, German, Spanish, Finnish, Greek, Slovenian, Portuguese, Chinese and Japanese.
He is currently working on the FP7 European project MIG@NET ( Transnational Digital Networks, Migration and Gender (opens in a new window)) and is a partner researcher on the ARC Discovery project, Culture in Transition: Creative Labour and Social Mobilities in the Asian Century.
- PhD, 1993, History of Political Thought, University of Turin, Italy
- BA, (Hons), 1989, Political Sciences, University of Bologna, Italy
- BA, (Hons), 1985, Philosophy, University of Genoa, Italy
Awards and Recognition
- 2010: Visiting Fellowship, Franklin Humanities Institute (FHI) and the Program in Literature, Duke University, Durham, NC.
- 2009: Research Fellowship, Programme International d'Études Avancées (PIEA) de la Fondation Maison des sciences de l'homme (Paris) – Columbia Institute for Scholars at Reid Hall.
- 2006-2008: Visiting Fellowship, University of Western Sydney, Centre for Cultural Research, Eminent Research Visitors Scheme.
- 1999: Research Fellowship, Max Planck Gesellschaft für Rechtsgeschichte, Frankfurt a.M.
- 1997-1998: Research Fellowhip, Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung, Humboldt Universität zu Berlin.
Mezzadra, S & Neilson, B 2019, The politics of operations: excavating contemporary capitalism (opens in a new window), Duke University Press, Durham & London.
Mezzadra, S & Neilson, B 2018, ‘Lampedusa’, in R Braidotti & M Hlavajova (eds), Posthuman Glossary (opens in a new window), Bloomsbury Academic, London.
Mezzadra, S & Neilson, B 2018, 'Entre extraction et exploitation: des mutations en cours dans l’organisation de la coopération sociale' (opens in a new window), Actuel Marx, no. 63, pp. 97-113.
Mezzadra, S & Neilson, B 2015, 'Operations of capital', South Atlantic Quarterly, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 1-9.
Mezzandra, S & Neilson, B (guest eds) 2015, 'Special issue: extraction, logistics, and finance', South Atlantic Quarterly, vol. 114, no. 1.
Mezzadra, S & Neilson, S 2014, 'The state of capitalist globalization', Viewpoint Magazine, vol. 4.
Mezzadra, S & Neilson, S 2014, 'The materiality of communism: politics beyond representation and the state', South Atlantic Quarterly, vol. 113, no. 4, pp. 777-790.
Mezzadra, S & Neilson, B 2013, Border as method, or the multiplication of labor (opens in a new window), Duke University Press, Durham & London.
Mezzadra, S & Neilson, B 2012, 'Between inclusion and exclusion: on the topology of global space and borders' (opens in a new window), Theory, Culture and Society, vol. 29, pp. 58-75.
Mezzadra, S, Balibar É & Samaddar, R (eds) 2011, The borders of justice, Temple University Press, Philadelphia.