DOMTRU recently won the South West Sydney Research Collaborative Achievement Award at the Ingham Institute’s 6th Annual Awards Night. This award recognised the Unit's efforts in providing new and additional services to local diabetes patients in the local health district hospitals. Associate Professor Vincent Wong accepted the Award on behalf of DOMTRU.
DOMTRU has maintained a large network of diabetes and obesity staff across SWS who work together on research and service improvement projects. This increases the scale and breadth of their work, and allows better articulation with, and translation into, services across South West Sydney.
The Unit's research agenda has 6 streams as seen in the table below.
- Piloting a church-based lifestyle intervention for preventing diabetes in Samoans (Le Taeao Afua).
- Evaluation of a multi-strategy diabetes prevention approach across Wollondilly (includes collaborating with the Dilly Wanderer)
- Evaluation of a multi-strategy diabetes integrated care approach across Wollondilly with extension to across district (eg case conferencing)
- Evaluation of a programme to reduce adverse pregnancy outcomes among women with pre-existing diabetes (Diabetes Contraception and Pre-pregnancy Programme)
- Evaluating and Standardising health care professional education (AUSCDEP-online tool across LHD and Primary care, workshops)
- Evaluating/collating data: Diabetes Health economics, Diabetes Epidemiology, SWISHCARE (data integration tool), BIOGRID (clinic tool)
- Pre-pregnancy and GDM databases, Models of care, Benchmarking, Epidemiology
- SWEADS (retinopathy), Foot, Inpatient, Gastroparesis, fatty liver in obesity, Dashboard, Obesity Service projects
Type 1 diabetes
- Oz-DAFNE, Diabetes Transition, T1DM care
- TOBOGM, TOMTHUMB, MiTY, MiTY Kids, TrialNET, MAMI, DELIGHT, EXPECT, Baker, FAME, Inpatient CRCT, AUSCDEP Inpatient CRCT