Senior Lecturer in health science in the School of Science and Health
Dr Freya MacMillan is a Senior Lecturer in Interprofessional Health Sciences, based in the School of Science and Health, a CI in the Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism Translational Research Unit (DOMTRU), an Executive member and lead of the prevention working group in the Sydney Partnership for Health, Enterprise, Research & Education (SPHERE) Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism Clinical Academic Group and co-investigator of the Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolic Health white paper group at Western.
Freya is a diabetes prevention expert. She uses her research skills to inform the development, evaluation and translation of lifestyle programs for people at risk and living with diabetes. She has expertise in lifestyle and health outcome measurements, including physical activity monitoring (such as use of accelerometers) and questionnaire administration to capture physiological, psychological and social outcomes. She also has skills in using theory to guide interventions (such as social cognitive theory, and the Readiness to Change Model) and has applied qualitative interviews and focus groups to guide intervention development and evaluation.
Freya has a particular focus on working with communities and partners to identify sustainable approaches. This involves close engagement with the end-users and deliverers of the interventions she develops throughout all phases of her research. Current industry partners include Local Health Districts, Primary Health Networks, Diabetes NSW & ACT, SPHERE and NSW Health. Her links within these networks and across DOMTRU, SPHERE and Western, provide multi-disciplinary collaborative opportunities to tackle diabetes.
- Health Promotion
- Physical Activity
- Physical Activity Health Promotion
- Sedentary behaviour
- Australian Health Promotion Association, 2016
Qualifications and Recognition
- PhD University of Strathclyde (UK)
- Mac Robertson travel scholarship to visit the Manitoba Institute of Child Health in Winnipeg 2012-06-01
- Humanities and Social Sciences faculty poster prize at the University of Strathclyde research day 2011-06-08
- the Scottish Physical Activity Research Conference for PhD Students best presentation of research prize 2011-09-21
- Scottish Funding Council PhD studentship 2010-10-01
- BSc Dundee University
- Sports biomedicine undergraduate honours prize for highest overall marks on the course 2008-06-06
Research and Publications