The ABC’s science documentary series Catalyst approached Prof David Simmons to team up with the Wollondilly Diabetes Programme (WDP) to conduct a diabetes screening session in Wollondilly Shire. The aim was to capture 2-4 local residents with pre-diabetes and take them through a 3-month lifestyle programme of their own with a couple of TV lifestyle people.
Activities that were offered on the day: Free Diabetes Risk Assessment, including waist measurement, Free Diabetes Screening with Random Blood Glucose and HbA1c testing.
- 351 people were approached promoting the WDP.
- 53 people had shown interest in more active involvement and provided their contact details. They account for 15.1% of people we had approached.
- Out of 53 registered, 31 participants would like to be contacted from WDP for future Diabetes Education sessions.
- 18 participants interested in Peer Support Program and 3 participants expressed their interest to be a Peer Support Facilitator( PSF).
- 48 participants completed the Australian Type 2 Diabetes Risk Assessment Tool (AUSDRISK). 87.5% of participants found to be at high risk and intermediate risk of diabetes.
- 44 participants proceeded to diabetes screening session with RBG and HbA1c. 63% of high risk group and 27% of intermediate risk group were detected above the threshold and referred for OGTT with follow up.
- 4 participants interested in pursuing the Catalyst Programme.
Tuesday 4th September 2018 - Screening of Catalyst Program on the ABC featuring 4 Wollondilly residents with pre-diabetes (opens in a new window)