Under 18 Students

Admission of International Students Under 18 Years on a Student Visa

The University may admit an international student under the age of 18 years when they commence their course and who intends to study on a student visa, where the student:

  1. meets other admission requirements;
  2. is of at least 17 years of age; and
  3. will live in Australia until they turn 18 either:

    a) with their parent or legal guardian;

    b) with a suitable relative whom the parent or legal guardian nominates; or

    c) under an accommodation and welfare arrangement approved by the University.

All students under 18 years of age are required to complete the Under 18 Student Accommodation and Welfare Approval Application Form (PDF, 138.74 KB) (opens in a new window). Where a student chooses option 3c above, i.e. a University approved accommodation and welfare arrangement, the University will be responsible for issuing a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW).

Accommodation Arrangements approved by the University

To enable the University to issue a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW), the student must reside with a homestay family arranged by one of Western Sydney University's approved Homestay Providers:

The parent/guardian must provide evidence to the University that they have entered into an accommodation agreement with the homestay provider which sets out the specific accommodation arrangements to be provided to the student for the duration of the agreement. The accommodation agreement must begin no later than the commencement date shown on the student's Confirmation of Enrolment, and remain in place for the duration of the student's enrolment plus seven days, or until the student turns 18 years of age, whichever occurs sooner.

Welfare Arrangements

The University Student Welfare Service will provide for the welfare of the student whose parents/guardian enter into an accommodation agreement with a Western Sydney University approved homestay provider, by:

  1. arranging face to face or electronic meetings with the student on a regular basis to discuss any welfare, accommodation or study related matters for which the student may require assistance;
  2. directing the student to access other support services where necessary; and
  3. maintaining regular contact with the homestay provider to ensure the student's needs are being met.

How to Apply

The Under 18  Accommodation and Welfare Approval Application Form (PDF, 138.74 KB) (opens in a new window) must be completed and signed by the parents/ legal custodian and as appropriate by the nominated care giver of the under 18 year student. The completed form and required documents must be uploaded to the student's application on Studylink.

More detailed information is available in Western Sydney University's policy on Admissions and Welfare (International Students Under 18) Procedures (opens in a new window).