About the Business Glossary
The need for an enterprise-wide repository of agreed business term definitions for our University has long been observed. The Data Management Working Group, a subcommittee of the Business Intelligence Steering Committee within the Office of Quality and Performance (OQP), has launched the Business Glossary project.
The Data Management Working Group envisage the implementation of a business glossary tool to not just store the business term definitions, but also to facilitate staff members' ability to access and contribute to discussions regarding term definitions and for governance over term definitions.
The Business Glossary will be available to staff and other stakeholders, which will include standardised definitions for business terms such as "student", "mature age", "first in family", "enrolled student", "blended learning" and other commonly used terms across the University.
- Improve communication among staff and students through the provision of a business glossary of terms
- Central repository of clearly defined business terms accessible via web user interface
- Efficient business process and governance in place to support the ongoing and vibrant term definition discussions online
- Elimination of separate names and definitions for terms that have different interpretations across different business units, which reduces the risk of conflicting data in management and operational reports
Project progress to date
Phase one of the project is complete with the implementation of the IBM Infosphere Business Glossary tool. Phase two has just started and includes intensive gathering and creating business term definitions; designing and deploying standards & governance for the Business Glossary.
- Business Glossary - Governance Framework (PDF, 461Kb) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)
- Campus (PDF, 175Kb) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)
- Mature Age Student (PDF, 167Kb) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)
- Capital Works and Facilities (PDF, 152Kb) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)
- Human Resources (PDF, 84Kb) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)
- Campus/Student Workshop 15 September 2014 - Term Definitions (PDF, 284Kb) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)
- Capital Works and Facilities Workshop - 12 November 2014 (PDF, 466Kb) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)
- Human Resources Workshop - 13 November 2014 (PDF, 368Kb) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)