Professor Simon Barrie
DVC & Vice-President, Academic,
Office of the DVC & Vice-President, Academic
- PhD University of Technology, Sydney
- BAppSc (Honours) Curtin University of Technology
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Office of the DVC & Vice-President, Academic
|Phone:||(02) 9683 8117|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Barrie, S. and Pizzica, J. (2019), 'Reimagining university curriculum for a disrupted future of work : partnership pedagogy', Education for Employability (Volume 2): Learning for Future Possibilities, Brill 9789004418691.
- Peseta, T. and Barrie, S. (2017), 'Stewardship as practice : 'learning on-the-job' for the academic development newcomer', Theorising Learning to Teach in Higher Education, Routledge 9781138677265.
- Barrie, S., Andrews, J., Dean, L. and Heimanis, I. (2010), 'Employability : realising the potential of a university education', A Practical Guide to University and College Management: Beyond Bureaucracy, Routledge 9780415997171.
- Barrie, S. (2009), 'Academic development as changing social practice : the generic attributes project', Enhancing Learning, Teaching, Assessment and Curriculum in Higher Education: Theory, Cases, Practices, Open University Press 9780335233762.
- Peseta, T., Brew, A., McShane, K. and Barrie, S. (2007), 'Encouraging the scholarship of learning and teaching in an institutional context', Transforming a University: the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Practice, Sydney University Press 9781920898281.
- Barrie, S., Coe, T., Clegg, K., Harper, M. and Kiley, M. (2006), 'Illuminating pathways to leadership', Exploring Good Leadership and Management Practice in Higher Education: Issues of Engagement, Jill Rogers Associates 9780954711153.
- Barrie, S. (2006), 'Academics' understandings of generic graduate attributes : a conceptual basis for lifelong learning', Graduate Attributes, Learning and Employability, Springer 9781402053412.
- Prosser, M. and Barrie, S. (2003), 'Using a student-focused learning perspective to align academic development with institutional quality assurance', Towards Strategic Staff Development in Higher Education, Open University Press 0335212107.
- Barradell, S., Peseta, T. and Barrie, S. (2021), 'Students and physiotherapists experience physiotherapy in particular ways : a phenomenologically oriented study', Physiotherapy Theory and Practice, vol 37, no 1 , pp 106 - 114.
- Thomson, K. and Barrie, S. (2021), 'Conversations as a source of professional learning : exploring the dynamics of camaraderie and common ground amongst university teachers', International Journal for Academic Development, vol 26, no 3 , pp 320 - 334.
- Barradell, S., Barrie, S. and Peseta, T. (2018), 'Ways of thinking and practising : highlighting the complexities of higher education curriculum', Innovations in Education and Teaching International, vol 55, no 3 , pp 266 - 275.
- Barradell, S., Peseta, T. and Barrie, S. (2018), ''There's so much to it' : the ways physiotherapy students and recent graduates experience practice', Advances in Health Sciences Education, vol 23, no 2 , pp 387 - 406.
- Peseta, T., Barrie, S. and McLean, J. (2017), 'Academic life in the measured university : pleasures, paradoxes and politics', Higher Education Research and Development, vol 36, no 3 , pp 453 - 457.
- Barrie, S., Bucat, R., Buntine, M., Burke da Silva, K., Crisp, G., George, A., Jamie, I., Kable, S., Lim, K., Pyke, S., Read, J., Sharma, M. and Yeung, A. (2015), 'Development, evaluation and use of a student experience survey in undergraduate science laboratories : the advancing science by enhancing learning in the laboratory student laboratory learning experience survey', International Journal of Science Education, vol 37, no 11 , pp 1795 - 1814.
- Kligyte, G. and Barrie, S. (2014), 'Collegiality : leading us into fantasy : the paradoxical resilience of collegiality in academic leadership', Higher Education Research and Development, vol 33, no 1 , pp 157 - 169.
- Popp, A., Levy, D. and Barrie, S. (2012), 'Rationalizing relationships between the various sets of learning outcomes as a data driven mapping strategy', International Journal of Engineering Education, vol 28, no 4 , pp 966 - 981.
- Yeung, A., Pyke, S., Sharma, M., Barrie, S., Buntine, M., Da Silva, K., Kable, S. and Lim, K. (2011), 'The Advancing Science by Enhancing Learning in the Laboratory (ASELL) Project : the first Australian multidisciplinary workshop', International Journal of Innovation in Science and Mathematics Education, vol 19, no 2 , pp 51 - 72.
- Hughes, C. and Barrie, S. (2010), 'Influences on the assessment of graduate attributes in higher education', Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, vol 35, no 3 , pp 325 - 334.
- Ginns, P. and Barrie, S. (2009), 'Developing and testing a student-focussed teaching evaluation survey for university instructors', Psychological Reports, vol 104, no 3 , pp 1019 - 1032.
- Ewing, R., Freeman, M., Barrie, S., Bell, A., O?Connor, D., Waugh, F. and Sykes, C. (2008), 'Building community in academic settings : the importance of flexibility in a structured mentoring program', Mentoring and Tutoring: Partnership in Learning, vol 16, no 3 , pp 294 - 310.
- Barrie, S. and Ginns, P. (2007), 'The linking of national teaching performance indicators to improvements in teaching and learning in classrooms', Quality in Higher Education, vol 13, no 3 , pp 275 - 286.
- Barrie, S. (2007), 'A conceptual framework for the teaching and learning of generic graduate attributes', Studies in Higher Education, vol 32, no 4 , pp 439 - 458.
- Buntine, M., Read, J., Barrie, S., Bucat, R., Crisp, G., George, A., Jamie, I. and Kable, S. (2007), 'Advancing Chemistry by Enhancing Learning in the Laboratory (ACELL) : a model for providing professional and personal development and facilitating improved student laboratory learning outcomes', Chemistry Education Research and Practice, vol 8, no 2 , pp 232 - 254.
- Jamie, I., Read, J., Barrie, S., Bucat, R., Buntine, M., Crisp, G., George, A. and Kable, S. (2007), 'From APCELL to ACELL and beyond : expanding a multi-institution project for laboratory-based teaching and learning', Australian Journal of Education in Chemistry, vol 67 , pp 7 - 13.
- Barrie, S. (2006), 'Understanding what we mean by the generic attributes of graduates', Higher Education, vol 51, no 2 , pp 215 - 241.
- Barrie, S., Ginns, P. and Prosser, M. (2005), 'Early impact and outcomes of an institutionally aligned, student focused learning perspective on teaching quality assurance', Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, vol 30, no 6 , pp 641 - 656.
- Barrie, S. (2004), 'A research-based approach to generic graduate attributes policy', Higher Education Research and Development, vol 23, no 3 , pp 261 - 275.
- Ginns, P. and Barrie, S. (2004), 'Reliability of single-item ratings of quality in higher education : a replication', Psychological Reports, vol 95, no 3 , pp 1023 - 1030.
- Barrie, S. and Prosser, M. (2004), 'Generic graduate attributes : citizens for an uncertain future', Higher Education Research and Development, vol 23, no 3 , pp 243 - 246.
- Barrie, S., Jain, P. and Carew, A. (2003), 'Generic graduate attributes : a research based framework for a shared vision', Staff and Educational Development International, vol 7, no 3 , pp 191 - 199.
- Barrie, S., Peseta, T. and Trigwell, K. (2016), 'From researcher to steward : revisiting the learning experiences in the Australian PhD', International Academic Identities Conference, University of Sydney.
- Peseta, T., Barrie, S., Barrow, M., Grant, B., Kelly, F., Lucas, L., Trahar, S., Jawitz, J. and Thesen, L. (2016), 'Getting the measure of doctoral curriculum : a response to access and equity?', International Academic Identities Conference, Sydney, N.S.W..
- Kligyte, G. and Barrie, S. (2011), 'Collegiality versus managerialism : the binary that binds us', Society for Research into Higher Education. Conference for Postgraduates and Newer Researchers, Newport, Wales.