Professor Mark McLean
School Of Medicine
Chair, Medicine, Blacktown,
School Of Medicine
Mark graduated Bachelor of Medicine from the University of Newcastle in 1985 and subsequently trained as a specialist endocrinologist in Australia and the UK. He completed a PhD in the endocrinology of pregnancy in 1998, and has had a research and clinical interest in hormonal function in pregnancy ever since. Mark has worked as a clinical endocrinologist in Western Sydney since 1996, as a Staff Specialist at Westmead and Blacktown-Mt Druitt Hospitals, and now as the Head of Department of Medicine at Blacktown-Mt Druitt Hospital. He has been involved in clinical teaching for more than 20 years, was Director of Physician Training at Westmead Hospital 2005-2009, and is a member of the National Examining Panel for the Royal Australasian College of Physicians.
Mark is extensively involved in clinical and basic science research and his main research interest is the effect of events in pregnancy on the metabolic health of the mother and baby, with a particular emphasis on Gestational Diabetes. Additional research is being done on the "metabolic stress" that occurs during hormonal manipulation for cancer treatment, or under treatment with some psychiatric medications, and exploration of new mechanisms which might be responsible for causing type 2 diabetes. Mark also works with a team of clinicians and researchers at Blacktown who are trying to optimize the health system for management and prevention of diabetes in Western Sydney. He also has a significant clinical interest in pituitary disorders, and heads the Pituitary Clinic at Westmead Hospital.
Mark is a Past-President of the Endocrine Society of Australia. In 2009 he was appointed UWS Foundation Professor of Medicine at Blacktown / Mt Druitt Clinical School and has been a significant contributor to the growth of the new Medical School, and development of Blacktown-Mt Druitt Hospital as a teaching hospital and research centre. He has been awarded 1 current, and 2 past, NH&MRC Project Grants. He has supervised 5 completed PhDs, and 3 current PhD students.
Awards and Recognition:
Visiting Professor Award, Endocrine Society, Western Australia, 2014
WentWest General Practice Training Scheme – Best Clinical Teacher, 2007
Graz Clock Prize for best presentation, Australasian Diabetes in Pregnancy Society Annual Scientific Meeting, 2004
This information has been contributed by Professor McLean.
- PhD University of Newcastle (NSW)
- BMed University of Newcastle (NSW)
- Diabetes management
- Obesity and metabolic complications of pregnancy
- Pituitary disorders
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School Of Medicine
- School Of Medicine
|Phone:||(02) 9851 6073
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Lam, T., Birzniece, V., McLean, M., Gurney, H., Hayden, A. and Cheema, B. (2020), 'The adverse effects of androgen deprivation therapy in prostate cancer and the benefits and potential anti-oncogenic mechanisms of progressive resistance training', Sports Medicine - Open, vol 6, no 1 .
- Birzniece, V., McLean, M., Reddy, N. and Ho, K. (2019), 'Disparate effect of aromatization on the central regulation of GH secretion by estrogens in men and postmenopausal women', The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol 104, no 7 , pp 2978 - 2984.
- Lam, T., McLean, M., Hayden, A., Poljak, A., Cheema, B., Gurney, H., Stone, G., Bahl, N., Reddy, N., Shahidipour, H. and Birzniece, V. (2019), 'A potent liver mediated mechanism for loss of muscle mass during androgen deprivation therapy', Endocrine Connections, vol 8, no 5 , pp 605 - 615.
- Cheung, N., Wong, K., Kovoor, P. and McLean, M. (2019), 'Stress hyperglycemia : a prospective study examining the relationship between glucose, cortisol and diabetes in myocardial infarction', Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, vol 33, no 4 , pp 329 - 334.
- Chai, T., McLean, M., Wong, V. and Cheung, N. (2019), 'Glycaemic variability is associated with adverse cardiovascular outcomes in patients hospitalised with an acute myocardial infarction', Journal of Clinical and Translational Endocrinology, vol 18 .
- Cheung, N., Campbell, L., Fulcher, G., McElduff, P., Depczynski, B., Acharya, S., Carter, J., Champion, B., Chen, R., Chipps, D., Flack, J., Kinsella, J., Layton, M., McLean, M., Moses, R., Park, K., Poynten, A., Pollock, C., Scadden, D. and Middleton, S. (2019), 'Routine glucose assessment in the emergency department for detecting unrecognised diabetes : a cluster randomised trial', Medical Journal of Australia, vol 211, no 10 , pp 454 - 459.
- Bramwell, S., Meyerowitz-Katz, G., Ferguson, C., Jayaballa, R., McLean, M. and Maberly, G. (2019), '[In Press] The effect of an mHealth intervention for titration of insulin for type 2 diabetes : a pilot study', European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, .
- Bahl, N., Stone, G., McLean, M., Ho, K. and Birzniece, V. (2018), 'Decorin, a growth hormone-regulated protein in humans', European Journal of Endocrinology, vol 178, no 2 , pp 145 - 152.
- Johannsson, G., Nespithal, K., Plockinger, U., Alam, V. and McLean, M. (2018), 'Multi-centre phase IV trial to investigate the immunogenicity of a new liquid formulation of recombinant human growth hormone in adults with growth hormone deficiency', Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol 41, no 8 , pp 919 - 927.
- Bishay, R., Meyerowitz-Katz, G., Chandrakumar, D., Jayaballa, R., Hng, T., McLean, M., Punchihewa, D., Jeyaprakash, M., Burgess, D., Riskallah, J. and Maberly, G. (2018), 'Evaluating the diabetes-cardiology interface : a glimpse into the diabetes management of cardiology inpatients in western Sydney's 'diabetes hotspot' and the establishment of a novel model of care', Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome, vol 10, no 1 .
- Lam, T., Cheema, B., Hayden, A., Gurney, H., Gounden, S., Reddy, N., Stone, G., McLean, M. and Birzniece, V. (2018), 'ADT in prostate cancer patients : prevention of adverse effects using a 6-month home-based progressive resistance training program', Clinical Endocrinology, vol 89, no S1 , pp 15 - 15.
- Barua, S., Hng, T., Smith, H., Bradford, J. and McLean, M. (2017), 'Ovulatory disorders are an independent risk factor for pregnancy complications in women receiving assisted reproduction treatments', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol 57, no 3 , pp 286 - 293.
- Lam, T., Poljak, A., McLean, M., Bahl, N., Ho, K. and Birzniece, V. (2017), 'Testosterone prevents protein loss via the hepatic urea cycle in human', European Journal of Endocrinology, vol 176, no 4 , pp 489 - 496.
- Piatkov, I., Caetano, D., Assur, Y., Lau, S., Jones, T., Boyages, S. and McLean, M. (2017), 'ABCB1 and ABCC1 single-nucleotide polymorphisms in patients treated with clozapine', Pharmacogenomics and Personalized Medicine, vol 10 , pp 235 - 242.
- Piatkov, I., Caetano, D., Assur, Y., Lau, S., Coelho, M., Jones, T., Nguyen, T., Boyages, S. and McLean, M. (2017), 'CYP2C19*17 protects against metabolic complications of clozapine treatment', World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, vol 18, no 7 , pp 521 - 527.
- Padmanabhan, S., Lee, V., Mclean, M., Athayde, N., Lanzarone, V., Khoshnow, Q., Peek, M. and Cheung, N. (2017), 'The association of falling insulin requirements with maternal biomarkers and placental dysfunction : a prospective study of women with preexisting diabetes in pregnancy', Diabetes Care, vol 40, no 10 , pp 1323 - 1330.
- Lau, S., Muir, C., Assur, Y., Beach, R., Tran, B., Bartrop, R., McLean, M. and Caetano, D. (2016), 'Predicting weight gain in patients treated with clozapine : the role of sex, body mass index, and smoking', Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol 36, no 2 .
- Yap, C., Cheung, N., Gunton, J., Athayde, N., Munns, C., Duke, A. and McLean, M. (2014), 'Vitamin D supplementation and the effects on glucose metabolism during pregnancy : a randomized controlled trial', Diabetes Care, vol 37, no 7 , pp 1837 - 1844.
- Lind, J., Hennessy, A. and McLean, M. (2014), 'Cardiovascular disease in women : the significance of hypertension and gestational diabetes during pregnancy', Current Opinion in Cardiology, vol 29, no 5 , pp 447 - 453.
- Astell-Burt, T., Feng, X., Kolt, G., McLean, M. and Maberly, G. (2014), 'Understanding geographical inequities in diabetes : multilevel evidence from 114,755 adults in Sydney, Australia', Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol 106, no 3 , pp 68 - 73.
- Padmanabhan, S., McLean, M. and Cheung, N. (2014), 'Falling insulin requirements are associated with adverse obstetric outcomes in women with preexisting diabetes', Diabetes Care, vol 37, no 10 .
- McLean, M., Moaven, L., Moin, N. and Bradford, J. (2013), 'Controversy grows over redefinition of gestational diabetes', Medical Journal of Australia, vol 198, no 11 , pp 596 - 597.
- Rae, K., Weatherall, L., Hollebone, K., Apen, K., McLean, M., Blackwell, C., Eades, S., Boulton, J., Lumbers, E. and Smith, R. (2013), 'Developing research in partnership with Aboriginal communities : strategies for improving recruitment and retention', Rural and Remote Health, vol 13, no 1 .
- Lau, S., Cha, K., Karunatillake, A., Stokes, R., Cheng, K., McLean, M., Cheung, N., Gonzalez, F. and Gunton, J. (2013), 'Beta-cell ARNT is required for normal glucose tolerance in murine pregnancy', PLoS One, vol 8, no 10 .
- Razee, H., Van Der Ploeg, H., Blignault, I., Smith, B., Bauman, A., McLean, M. and Wah Cheung, N. (2010), 'Beliefs, barriers, social support, and environmental influences related to diabetes risk behaviours among women with a history of gestational diabetes', Health Promotion Journal of Australia, vol 21, no 2 , pp 130 - 137.
- Carmen Wong, K., Wong, V., Ho, J., Torpy, D., McLean, M. and Cheung, N. (2010), 'High cortisol levels in hyperglycaemic myocardial infarct patients signify stress hyperglycaemia and predict subsequent normalization of glucose tolerance', Clinical Endocrinology, vol 72, no 2 , pp 189 - 195.
- Gan, R., Wong, V., Cheung, N. and McLean, M. (2009), 'Effect of insulin infusion on electrocardiographic findings following acute myocardial infarction : importance of glycaemic control', Diabetic Medicine, vol 26 , pp 174 - 176.
- Zehle, K., Smith, B., Chey, T., McLean, M., Bauman, A. and Cheng, N. (2008), 'Psychosocial factors related to diet among women with recent gestational diabetes opportunities for intervention', Diabetes Educator, vol 34, no 5 , pp 807 - 814.
- Cheung, N., Wong, V. and McLean, M. (2008), 'What glucose target should we aim for in myocardial infarction?', Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol 80, no 3 , pp 411 - 415.
- Maguire, A., Biesheuvel, C., Ambler, G., Moore, B., McLean, M. and Cowell, C. (2008), 'Evaluation of adrenal function using the human corticotrophin-releasing hormone test, low dose Synacthen test and 9am cortisol level in children and adolescents with central adrenal insufficiency', Clinical Endocrinology, vol 68, no 5 , pp 683 - 691.
- Ramachenderan, J., Bradford, J. and McLean, M. (2008), 'Maternal obesity and pregnancy complications : a review', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol 48, no 3 , pp 228 - 235.
- Schneider, H., Goodall, I., Coleman, P., McLean, M. and Barker, G. (2007), 'The new haemoglobin A1c: The way it is reported is about to change...', Internal Medicine Journal, vol 37 , pp 213 - 215.
- McLean, M. (2007), 'Prolonged hypocortisolemia in hydrocortisone replacement regimens in adrenocorticotrophic hormone deficiency', Pediatrics, vol 120, no 1 , pp 164 - 1714.
- Maguire, A., Ambler, G., Moore, B., Waite, K., McLean, M. and Cowell, C. (2007), 'The clinical utility of alternative, less invasive sampling tehcniques in the assessment of oral hydrocortisone therapy in children and adolescents with hypopituitarism', European Journal of Endocrinology, vol 156, no 4 , pp 471 - 476.
- Goodall, I., Colman, P., Schneider, H., McLean, M. and Barker, G. (2007), 'Desirable performance standards for HbA1c analysis - Precision, accuracy and standardisation: Consensus statement of the AACB, the ADS, the RCPA, ESA, and the ADEA', Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol 45, no 8 , pp 1083 - 1097.
- Moss, J., Crowther, C., Hiller, J., Willson, K., Robinson, J., Chipps, D., Myszka, R., Hendon, S., McLean, M., Merker, H., Bradford, J., Tufnell, D., West, J., Hinton, R., Woodford, D., Cave, D., Armstrong, C., Vacca, A., Joubert, P. and Avery, J. (2007), 'Costs and consequences of treatment for mild gestational diabetes mellitus - Evaluation from the ACHOIS randomised trial', BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, vol 7 .
- Hng, T., McLean, M., Cheung, N. and Thompson, C. (2006), 'The interrelation of birth weight and regional lipid deposition: a twins study', Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental, vol 55, no 5 , pp 561 - 562.
- Cheung, N., Wong, V. and McLean, M. (2006), 'The hyperglycemia: Intensive insulin infusion in infarction (HI-5) study: A randomized controlled trial of insulin infusion therapy for myocardial infarction', Diabetes Care, vol 29, no 4 , pp 765 - 770.
- McLean, M., Chipps, D. and Cheung, N. (2006), 'Mother to child transmission of diabetes mellitus: Does gestational diabetes program Type 2 diabetes in the next generation?', Diabetic Medicine, vol 23, no 11 , pp 1213 - 1215.
- Cheung, N., Wong, V. and McLean, M. (2006), 'Insulin infusion therapy for myocardial infarction', Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, vol 7, no 18 , pp 2495 - 2503.
- Smith, B., Cheung, N., Bauman, A., Zehle, K. and McLean, M. (2005), 'Postpartum physical activity and related psychosocial factors among women with recent gestational diabetes mellitus', Diabetes Care, vol 28, no 11 , pp 2650 - 2654.
- Hng, T., Cheung, N. and McLean, M. (2005), 'Growth hormone and cortisol dynamic function in relation to birth weight: A study in adult twins', Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol 90, no 5 , pp 2781 - 2786.
- Wong, V., McLean, M., Boyages, S. and Cheung, N. (2004), 'C-reactive protein levels following acute myocardial infarction: Effect of insulin infusion and tight glycemic control', Diabetes Care, vol 27, no 12 , pp 2971 - 2973.
- Wong, V., Yan, T., Donald, A. and McLean, M. (2004), 'Saliva and bloodspot cortisol: Novel sampling methods to assess hydrocortisone replacement therapy in hypoadrenal patients', Clinical Endocrinology, vol 61, no 1 , pp 131 - 137.
- McGrath, S., McLean, M., Smith, D., Bisits, A., Giles, W. and Smith, R. (2002), 'Maternal plasma corticotropin-releasing hormone trajectories vary depending on the cause of preterm delivery', American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol 186 , pp 257 - 260.
- McGrath, S., McLean, M., Smith, D., Bisits, A., Giles, W. and Smith, R. (2002), 'Maternal serum activin A, inhibin A, and follistatin in pregnancies with appropriately grown and small-for-gestational-age fetuses classified by umbilical artery Doppler ultrasound', American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol 186, no 2 , pp 283 - 287.
- McLean, M. (2001), 'Timing the onset of parturition', Frontiers of Hormone Research, vol 27 , pp 229 - 245.
- McLean, M. and Smith, R. (2001), 'Corticotrophin-releasing hormone and human parturition', Reproduction, vol 121, no 4 , pp 493 - 501.
- Lam, T., Cheema, B., Hayden, A., Gurney, H., Gounden, S., Reddy, N., Stone, G., McLean, M. and Birzniece, V. (2017), 'ADT in prostate cancer patients : prevention of adverse effects using a 6-month home-based progressive resistance training program', Clinical Oncology Society of Australia. Annual Scientific Meeting, Sydney, N.S.W..
Research and Professional Associations:
Past-President, Endocrine Society of Australia.
Co-Director, Centre for Diabetes & Endocrinology Research, Westmead Hospital, 2003 to present.
Extensive peer-review experience for leading international journals and peak granting bodies
National Examining Panel for RACP Fellowship examination.
Editorial Board (Endocrinology Sub-editor), Internal Medicine Journal 2008-2015
Endocrinology Specialist Advisory Committee RACP 2005-2009
This information has been contributed by Professor McLean.
|Title:||Understanding the Origins of Diabetes and Kidney Disease in Aboriginal Children and their Mothers [via Uni of Newcastle - no funding to UWS]|
|Western Researchers:||Mark Mclean|
|Years:||2012-01-01 - 2016-12-31|
Professor McLean is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||Novel Mechanisms Determining Interplay between Changes in Protein and Glucose Metabolism and Prostate Cancer Outcomes|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Fetal Outcomes in Obstructive Sleep Apnea Pregnancy|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Sleep Disordered Breathing and Hypertension in Pregnancy|
|Field of Research:||Internal Medicine; Obstetrics And Gynaecology|