Doctor Sabrina Pit
School of Medicine
I have been working in the education, research and health sector for more than 20 years. My research and professional interests include workforce;rural issues; ageing societies; employability; aged care; preventive health; health professional education; medicine use, digital technology; health workforce; rural workforce; teamwork; migrants; longitudinal studies; falls; leadership; systems change; interprofessional teamwork; social and health outcomes.I am the Workforce Research Stream Leader and Lead Academic, Clinical and Educational Research at the University Centre for Rural Health (University of Sydney and Western Sydney University). I have a PhD in Health Behaviour (University of Newcastle), a Master of Science Degree in Household & Consumer Sciences(Business and health- Wageningen Agricultural University, The Netherlands), Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety (RMIT University) and a Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (Higher Education) (Sydney University). I have recently completed the Australian Institute of Company Directors Course
I have been a non-executive Director of a medium-sized rural aged care provider (2012- 2016) and current non-executive Director of Multitask Human Resource Foundation Pty Ltd. In 2016/17, I was a member of the Steering Group, Standards Australia Asia-Pacific Economic Cooparation Silver Economy Project and an Australian representative on the International Standards Organisation/Technical Management Board Group/Strategic Advisory Group on Ageing Societies.
I have been a lead contributor to the recently published International Standard Organisation/Technical Report 30406:2017 "Human resource management — Sustainable employability management for organization", which is a guideline for organisations to implement sustainable employability frameworks within their organisations and currently sits on Standards Australia Technical Committee 260 Human Resources Management since 2013.
I am keen to contribute to improving peoples working life and the quality of life of people living in rural Australia and older people. My vision is to have a National Workability database similar to the Dutch concepts, which can aid policy development that offers a continuing improvement and learning to keep people working for longer in a healthy and happy manner.My world vision is to achieve productive ageing for everyone, anywhere and anytime. My mantra is to learn from the wisdom of our elders & migrants to make our world a better place and encouraging others to do the same.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Pit.
- PhD University of Newcastle (NSW)
- Housing Working Group, Equality Rights Alliance - Women’s Health Special Interest Group, Public Health Association (2013 - 2019)
- MIND the GAP Working Group, Equality Rights Alliance - Women’s Health Special Interest Group, Public Health Association (2015 - 2019)
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (2017 - 2019)
- Australian Association of Gerontology (2006 - 2019)
- Public Health Association of Australia (1999 - 2019)
- Learning and Teaching Award. Excellence in Teaching. Winner. Western Sydney University. Community Research Teaching Team. 2017-12-06
- International Research Collaboration Award, University of Sydney. Towards sustainable employment in health care, Dr S, Pit Dr Robroek. 2012-01-01
- Prize ANZ Health Specialist Medical Award 2016. Won by: Hall, K., Brieger,D.G.,Pfister, B.F., Youlden, D., De Silva, S. Supervised by ., John-Leader, F., Pit, S.W. 2017-01-01
- Ageing Health
- Ageing Labour Market
- Digital Health
- Employability Sustainability
- Rural Entrepreneurship
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Medicine
- International Standards Organisation/Technical Management Board Group/Strategic Advisory Group on ageing societies
- APEC Silver Economy Project Steering Group Member
- Applied Science Board Sustainable Employability Innovations, The Netherlands
- Standards Australia Technical Committee 260 Human Resources Management
- The Australian Rural Health Education Network (ARHEN) Student Survey Working Group: Data Analysis Subcommittee
- UCRH Professional Development Commitee
- NCICTN -Local Innovation Funding - Development in Clinical Placements in Aged Care Project
- North Coast Interdisciplinary Clinical Training Network Advisory Group
|Phone:||(02) 6620 7570|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 400811 Integrated Clinical Rotations 2, 2017
- 400811 Integrated Clinical Rotations 2, 2018
- 400811 Integrated Clinical Rotations 2, 2019
- 400948 Integrated Clincal Rotations 3 (Honours), 2018
- 400948 Integrated Clincal Rotations 3 (Honours), 2019
- 60056 Community Research, 2014
- 60056 Community Research, 2015
- 60056 Community Research, 2016
- Liddle, J., Clemson, L., Mackenzie, L., Lovarini, M., Tan, A., Pit, S., Roberts, C., Tiedemann, A., Sherrington, C. and Willis, K. (2020), 'Influences on general practitioner referral to allied health professionals for fall prevention in primary care', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol 39 , pp 32 - 39.
- Hall, C., Robertson, D., Rolfe, M., Pascoe, S., Passey, M. and Pit, S. (2020), 'Do cognitive aids reduce error rates in resuscitation team performance? : trial of emergency medicine protocols in simulation training (TEMPIST) in Australia', Human Resources for Health, vol 18, no 1 .
- Moehead, A., DeSouza, K., Walsh, K. and Pit, S. (2020), 'A web-based dementia education program and its application to an Australian web-based dementia care competency and training network : integrative systematic review', Journal of Medical Internet Research, vol 22, no 1 .
- Rolfe, M., Pit, S., McKenzie, J., Longman, J., Matthews, V., Bailie, R. and Morgan, G. (2020), 'Social vulnerability in a high-risk flood-affected rural region of NSW, Australia', Natural Hazards, vol 101, no 3 , pp 631 - 650.
- DeSouza, K., Pit, S. and Moehead, A. (2020), 'Translating facilitated multimodal online learning into effective person-centred practice for the person living with dementia among health care staff in Australia : an observational study', BMC Geriatrics, vol 20, no 1 .
- Fitzpatrick, M., Garsia, K., Eyre, K., Blackhall, C. and Pit, S. (2020), '[In Press] Emotional exhaustion among regional doctors in training and the application of international guidelines on sustainable employability management for organisations', Australian Health Review, .
- Holtzhausen, N., Fitzgerald, K., Thakur, I., Ashley, J., Rolfe, M. and Pit, S. (2020), 'Swipe-based dating applications use and its association with mental health outcomes : a cross-sectional study', BMC Psychology, vol 8, no 1 .
- Fitzgerald, K., Pit, S., Rolfe, M., McKenzie, J., Matthews, V., Longman, J. and Bailie, R. (2020), 'Cross sectional analysis of depression amongst Australian rural business owners following cyclone-related flooding', Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology, vol 15, no 1 .
- Wood, N., Charlwood, G., Zecchin, C., Hansen, V., Douglas, M. and Pit, S. (2019), 'Qualitative exploration of the impact of employment and volunteering upon the health and wellbeing of African refugees settled in regional Australia : a refugee perspective', BMC Public Health, vol 19 .
- Southey, M., Rees, T., Rolfe, M. and Pit, S. (2019), 'An evaluation of the maintenance to abstinence (MTA) program in achieving abstinence in opioid users and improving mental health and quality of life', Addiction Science & Clinical Practice, vol 14, no 1 .
- Chan, R., Nguyen, M., Smith, R., Spencer, S. and Pit, S. (2019), 'Effect of serial anthropometric measurements and motivational text messages on weight reduction among workers : pilot randomized controlled trial', JMIR Mhealth and Uhealth, vol 7, no 4 .
- Crocker, B., Pit, S., Hansen, V., John-Leader, F. and Wright, M. (2019), 'A positive approach to adolescent sexual health promotion : a qualitative evaluation of key stakeholder perceptions of the Australian Positive Adolescent Sexual Health (PASH) Conference', BMC Public Health, vol 19, no 1 .
- Valiukas, S., Pickering, M., Hall, T., Seneviratne, N., Aitken, A., John-Leader, F. and Pit, S. (2019), 'Sexting and mental health among young Australians attending a musical festival : a cross sext-ional study', Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking, vol 22, no 8 , pp 521 - 528.
- Jeffrey, B., Bagala, M., Creighton, A., Leavey, T., Nicholls, S., Wood, C., Longman, J., Barker, J. and Pit, S. (2019), 'Mobile phone applications and their use in the self-management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus : a qualitative study among app users and non-app users', Diabetology and Metabolic Syndrome, vol 11, no 1 .
- Matthews, V., Longman, J., Berry, H., Passey, M., Bennet-Levy, J., Morgan, G., Pit, S., Rolfe, M. and Bailie, R. (2019), 'Differential mental health impact six months after extensive river flooding in rural Australia : a cross-sectional analysis through an equity lens', Frontiers in Public Health, vol 7 .
- Smith, T., Sutton, K., Pit, S., Muyambi, K., Terry, D., Farthing, A., Courtney, C. and Cross, M. (2018), 'Health professional students' rural placement satisfaction and rural practice intentions : a national cross-sectional survey', The Australian Journal of Rural Health, .
- Day, N., Criss, J., Griffiths, B., Gujral, S., John-Leader, F., Johnston, J. and Pit, S. (2018), 'Music festival attendees' illicit drug use, knowledge and practices regarding drug content and purity : a cross-sectional survey', Harm Reduction Journal, vol 15 .
- Smith, T., Cross, M., Waller, S., Chambers, H., Farthing, A., Barraclough, F., Pit, S., Sutton, K., Muyambi, K., King, S. and Anderson, J. (2018), 'Ruralization of students' horizons : insights into Australian health professional students' rural and remote placements', Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare, vol 11 , pp 85 - 97.
- Isaac, V., Pit, S. and McLachlan, C. (2018), 'Self-efficacy reduces the impact of social isolation on medical student's rural career intent', BMC Medical Education, vol 18, no 1 .
- Fernando, M., Buckland, J., Melwani, P., Tent, V., Preston, P. and Pit, S. (2018), 'Perceived driving safety and estimated blood alcohol concentration (BAC) the morning after drinking amongst young Australians attending a music festival : a cross-sectional survey', Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy, vol 13, no 1 .
- Liddle, J., Lovarini, M., Clemson, L., Mackenzie, L., Tan, A., Pit, S., Poulos, R., Tiedemann, A., Sherrington, C., Roberts, C. and Willis, K. (2018), 'Making fall prevention routine in primary care practice : perspectives of allied health professionals', BMC Health Services Research, vol 18 .
- Smyth, J., Pit, S. and Hansen Cole, V. (2018), 'Can the work ability model provide a useful explanatory framework to understand sustainable employability amongst general practitioners : a qualitative study', Human Resources for Health, vol 16 .
- Prangley, T., Pit, S., Rees, T. and Nealon, J. (2018), 'Factors influencing early withdrawal from a drug and alcohol treatment program and client perceptions of successful recovery and employment : a qualitative study', BMC Psychiatry, vol 18 .
- Harley, M., Pit, S., Rees, T. and Thomas, S. (2018), 'Completion rates and psychosocial intervention effectiveness in an Australian substance use therapeutic community', Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy, vol 13 .
- Pit, S. (2018), 'Retiring to Spain : Women's Narratives of Nostalgia, Belonging and Community', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol 37, no 1 , pp 74 - 75.
- Knox, M., Garner, A., Dyason, A., Pearson, T. and Pit, S. (2017), 'Qualitative investigation of the reasons behind opposition to water fluoridation in regional NSW, Australia', Public Health Research and Practice, vol 27, no 1 .
- Clemson, L., Mackenzie, L., Roberts, C., Poulos, R., Tan, A., Lovarini, M., Sherrington, C., Simpson, J., Willis, K., Lam, M., Tiedermann, A., Pond, C., Peiris, D., Hilmer, S., Pit, S., Howard, K., Lovitt, L. and White, F. (2017), 'Integrated solutions for sustainable fall prevention in primary care, the iSOLVE project : a type 2 hybrid effectiveness-implementation design', Implementation Science, vol 12, no 12 .
- Bradbury, J., Nancarrow, S., Avila, C., Pit, S., Potts, R., Doran, F. and Freed, G. (2017), 'Actual availability of appointments at general practices in regional New South Wales, Australia', Australian Family Physician, vol 46, no 5 , pp 321 - 325.
- De Silva, T., Prakash, A., Yarlagadda, S., Johns, M., Sandy, K., Hansen Cole, V., Phelan, S. and Pit, S. (2017), 'General practitioners' experiences and perceptions of mild moderate depression management and factors influencing effective service delivery in rural Australian communities : a qualitative study', International Journal of Mental Health Systems, vol 11, no 1 .
- Chien, C., Alfred, A., Freihaut, R. and Pit, S. (2017), 'First metatarsophalangeal joint arthrodesis in hallux valgus versus hallux rigidus using cup and cone preparation compression screw and dorsal plate fixation', Cureus, vol 9, no 10 .
- Pit, S. and Hansen, V. (2016), 'The relationship between lifestyle, occupational health, and work-related factors with presenteeism amongst general practitioners', Archives of Environmental and Occupational Health, vol 71, no 1 , pp 49 - 56.
- Mortel, T., Silberberg, P., Ahern, C. and Pit, S. (2016), 'Supporting near-peer teaching in general practice : a national survey', BMC Medical Education, vol 16, no 1 .
- Hansen, V. and Pit, S. (2016), 'The single item burnout measure is a psychometrically sound screening tool for occupational burnout', Health Scope, vol 5, no 2 .
- Fraser, A., Williams, S., Kong, S., Wells, L., Goodall, L., Pit, S., Hansen, V. and Trent, M. (2016), 'Public Health Amendment (Vaccination of Children Attending Child Care Facilities) Act 2013 : its impact in the Northern Rivers, NSW', Public Health Research and Practice, vol 26, no 2 .
- Hall, K., Brieger, D., De Silva, S., Pfister, B., Youlden, D., John-Leader, F. and Pit, S. (2016), 'Errors and predictors of confidence in condom use amongst young Australians attending a music festival', Journal of Sexually Transmitted Diseases, vol 2016 .
- Suthersan, M., Pit, S., Gordon, L., Loman, M., Pezzutti, B. and Freihaut, R. (2015), 'Local infiltration analgesia versus standard analgesia in total knee arthroplasty', Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery, vol 23, no 2 , pp 198 - 201.
- Pit, S. and Hansen, V. (2014), 'Factors influencing early retirement intentions in Australian rural general practitioners', Occupational Medicine, vol 64, no 4 , pp 297 - 304.
- Van de Mortel, T., Silberberg, P., Ahern, C. and Pit, S. (2014), 'Stakeholders' views of shared learning models in general practice : a national survey', Australian Family Physician, vol 43, no 9 , pp 633 - 638.
- Nancarrow, S., Bradbury, J., Pit, S. and Ariss, S. (2014), 'Intention to stay and intention to leave : are they two sides of the same coin? : a cross-sectional structural equation modelling study among health and social care workers', Journal of Occupational Health, vol 56, no 4 , pp 292 - 300.
- Pit, S., Vo, T. and Pyakurel, S. (2014), 'The effectiveness of recruitment strategies on general practitioner's survey response rates - a systematic review', BMC Medical Research Methodology, vol 14, no 1 .
- Johnston, J., Wilson, S., Rix, E. and Pit, S. (2014), 'Publish or perish : strategies to help rural early career researchers increase publication output', Rural and Remote Health, vol 14, no 3 .
- Dolja-Gore, X., Pit, S., Parkinson, L., Young, A. and Byles, J. (2013), 'Accuracy of self-reported medicines use compared to pharmaceutical claims data amongst a national sample of older Australian women', Open Journal of Epidemiology, vol 3, no 1 , pp 25 - 32.
- Ahern, C., Van de Mortel, T., Silberberg, P., Barling, J. and Pit, S. (2013), 'Vertically integrated shared learning models in general practice : a qualitative study', BMC Family Practice, vol 14 .
- Pit, S., Hansen, V. and Ewald, D. (2013), 'A small unconditional non-financial incentive suggests an increase in survey response rates amongst older general practitioners (GPs) : a randomised controlled trial study', BMC Family Practice, vol 14 .
- Pit, S., Shrestha, R., Schofield, D. and Passey, M. (2013), 'Partial and complete retirement due to ill-health among mature age Australians', Public Health, vol 127, no 6 , pp 561 - 571.
- Hansen, V., Pit, S., Honeyman, P. and Barclay, L. (2013), 'Prolonging a sustainable working life among older rural GPs : solutions from the horse's mouth', Rural and Remote Health, vol 13, no 2 .
- Pit, S. and Byles, J. (2012), 'The association of health and employment in mature women : a longitudinal study', Journal of Women's Health, vol 21, no 3 , pp 273 - 280.
- Pit, S. and Byles, J. (2010), 'Older Australians' medication use : self-report by phone showed good agreement and accuracy compared with home visit', Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol 63, no 4 , pp 428 - 434.
- Pit, S., Shrestha, R., Schofield, D. and Passey, M. (2010), 'Health problems and retirement due to ill-health among Australian retirees aged 45-64 years', Health Policy, vol 94, no 2 , pp 175 - 181.
- Pit, S., Byles, J. and Cockburn, J. (2008), 'Accuracy of telephone self-report of drug use in older people and agreement with pharmaceutical claims data', Drugs and Aging, vol 25, no 1 , pp 71 - 80.
- Pit, S., Byles, J. and Cockburn, J. (2007), 'Medication review : patient selection and general practitioner's report of drug-related problems and actions taken in elderly Australians', Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol 55, no 6 , pp 927 - 934.
- Pit, S., Byles, J., Henry, D., Holt, L., Hansen Cole, V. and Bowman, D. (2007), 'A quality use of medicines program for general practitioners and older people : a cluster randomised controlled trial', Medical Journal of Australia, vol 187, no 1 , pp 23 - 30.
- Mirza, I. and Pit, S. (2006), 'Exercise for positive mental health outcomes in adults [Intervention Protocol]', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 1 .
- Cockburn, J., Pit, S., Zorbas, H. and Redman, S. (2001), 'Investigating breast symptoms in primary care : enhancing concordance with current best advice', Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol 25, no 5 , pp 407 - 413.
- Pit, S. and Cockburn, J. (2000), 'Cancer Information Services : a pre-/post-evaluation of training to promote nationwide consistency of information', European Journal of Cancer Care, vol 9, no 4 , pp 204 - 211.
- Cockburn, J., Pit, S. and Redman, S. (1999), 'Perceptions of screening mammography among women aged 40-49', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol 23, no 3 , pp 318 - 321.
- Cockburn, J. and Pit, S. (1997), 'Prescribing behaviour in clinical practice : patients' expectations and doctors' perceptions of patients' expectations : a questionnaire study', BMJ: British Medical Journal, vol 315, no 7107 , pp 520 - 523.
- Pit, S., Schurink, J., Nair, B., Byles, J. and Heller, R. (1996), 'Use of the short-form-36 health survey to assess quality of life among Australian elderly', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol 15, no 3 , pp 132 - 135.
- Pit, S. and Rouwendal, J. (1994), 'Een economische analyse van echtscheiding in Nederland', Huishoudstudies: Tijdschrift voor Huishoud- en Consumentenvraagstukken en Facilitair Management, vol 4, no 1 , pp 3 - 13.
|Title:||Heaps Of Aussie Festival-Goers Don???t Know How To Use Condoms Properly, Study Finds|
|Description:||Research on condom errors|
|Title:||oung Australians Want Pill Testing At Music Fests And Would Heed The Results|
|Description:||Research on pill testing among festival attendees|