Doctor Kylie Budge
Institute for Culture and Society
I have recently moved over into the role of Adjunct Fellow at the Institute for Culture and Society.
My new book, Art After Instagram, with Lachlan MacDowall, will be published by Routledge in December 2021. We explore the ephemeral topic of the digital social media image in relation to art through the lenses of art spaces, audiences, and aesthetics. Both hard copy and ebook versions will be available.
I am interested in how people, technology and society intersect especially in relation to creativity. My research includes digital and material cultures of art and design; cultural institutions, their audiences and social media; cultures of making; identity; creativity; cultural theory and theories of value.
I have published in a range of journals, books, blogs, and other online media including Continuum, Curator: the Museum Journal, the Australasian Journal of Popular Culture, Journal of Media & Cultural Studies, International Journal of Art & Design Education, and Australian Geographer. For a full list of my publications please click here.
I am involved in a range of projects, mostly outside of academia now. And I’m working at a less hectic pace. However, if you’d like to get in touch please do.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Budge.
- PhD University of Melbourne
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Institute for Culture and Society
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 101931 Media Memory, 2017
- 101931 Media Memory, 2018
- 101931 Media Memory, 2019
- 101931 Media Memory, 2020
- 102262 Design Histories and Futures, 2018
- 102262 Design Histories and Futures, 2019
- 102262 Design Histories and Futures, 2020
Chapters in Books
- Budge, K. (2020), 'Art education and the maker movement : identity, wellbeing, community, and entrepreneurship', The Australian Art Field: Practices, Policies, Institutions, Routledge 9780367184414.
- Budge, K. (2020), 'Remember me : Instagram, selfies and libraries', Journal of the Australian Library and Information Association, vol 69, no 1 , pp 3 - 16.
- Budge, K. (2020), 'Visually imagining place : museum visitors, Instagram, and the city', Journal of Urban Technology, vol 27, no 2 , pp 61 - 79.
- Budge, K. (2019), 'Making in the city : disjunctures between public discourse and urban policy', Australian Geographer, vol 50, no 2 , pp 185 - 199.
- Budge, K. (2019), 'The ecosystem of a makerspace : human, material and place-based interrelationships', Journal of Design, Business & Society, vol 5, no 1 , pp 77 - 94.
- Budge, K. and Burness, A. (2018), 'Museum objects and Instagram : agency and communication in digital engagement', Continuum, vol 32, no 2 , pp 137 - 150.
- Budge, K. (2018), 'Encountering people and place : museums through the lens of Instagram', Australasian Journal of Popular Culture, vol 7, no 1 , pp 107 - 121.
- Budge, K. (2018), 'Visitors in immersive museum spaces and Instagram : self, place-making, and play', The Journal of Public Space, vol 3, no 3 , pp 121 - 138.
- Budge, K. (2017), 'Beyond folding and gathering : museums attending to the new materiality', Museum and Society, vol 15, no 1 , pp 33 - 42.
- Budge, K. (2017), 'Objects in focus : museum visitors and Instagram', Curator, vol 60, no 1 , pp 67 - 85.
- Budge, K. (2016), 'Learning to be : the modelling of art and design practice in university art and design teaching', International Journal of Art and Design Education, vol 35, no 2 , pp 243 - 258.
- Budge, K. (2016), 'The 'new' craft phenomena and the contemporary museum', Craft Research, vol 7, no 1 , pp 79 - 89.
- Budge, K., Lemon, N. and McPherson, M. (2016), 'Academics who tweet : "messy" identities in academia', Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education, vol 8, no 2 , pp 210 - 221.
- Budge, K. (2016), 'Teaching art and design : communicating creative practice through embodied and tacit knowledge', Arts and Humanities in Higher Education, vol 15, no 3-4 , pp 432 - 445.
- Budge, K. (2015), 'Social media as conduit in art : understanding connections to communities of practice through professional learning theory', Visual Inquiry, vol 4, no 3 , pp 169 - 179.
- Lemon, N., McPherson, M. and Budge, K. (2015), 'Academics doing it differently : wooing, hooking up and spinning stories', Journal of Perspectives in Applied Academic Practice, vol 3, no 2 , pp 15 - 25.
- McPherson, M., Budge, K. and Lemon, N. (2015), 'New practices in doing academic development : Twitter as an informal learning space', International Journal for Academic Development, vol 20, no 2 , pp 126 - 136.
- Budge, K. (2014), 'Context and performativity in identity choices : artists, designers and the academy', Educate~, vol 14, no 3 , pp 32 - 43.
- Budge, K., Beale, C. and Lynas, E. (2013), 'A chaotic intervention : creativity and peer learning in design education', International Journal of Art and Design Education, vol 32, no 2 , pp 146 - 156.
- Budge, K. (2013), 'Virtual studio practices : visual artists, social media and creativity', Journal of Science and Technology of the Arts, vol 5, no 1 , pp 15 - 23.
- Lynas, E., Budge, K. and Beale, C. (2013), 'Hands on : the importance of studio learning in design education', Visual Inquiry, vol 2, no 2 , pp 127 - 138.
- Budge, K. (2012), 'A question of values : why we need art and design in higher education', Art, Design and Communication in Higher Education, vol 11, no 1 , pp 5 - 16.
- Budge, K. (2012), 'Art and design blogs : a socially-wise approach to creativity', International Journal of Art and Design Education, vol 31, no 1 , pp 44 - 52.
- Budge, K. and Clarke, A. (2012), 'Academic development is a creative act', International Journal for Academic Development, vol 17, no 1 , pp 59 - 70.
- Budge, K. and Cowlishaw, K. (2012), 'Student and teacher perceptions of learning and teaching : a case study', Journal of Further and Higher Education, vol 36, no 4 , pp 549 - 565.
- Budge, K. (2011), 'A desire for the personal : student perceptions of electronic feedback', International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, vol 23, no 3 , pp 342 - 349.
- Clarke, A. and Budge, K. (2010), 'Listening for creative voices amid the cacophony of fiscal complaint about art and design education', International Journal of Art and Design Education, vol 29, no 2 , pp 153 - 162.
|Title:||Seeing yourself in Australian cultural heritage|
|Western Researchers:||Rachel Hendery, Kylie Budge, Kate Richards and Jonathon Allen|
|Years:||2021-01-01 - 2023-12-31|
|Title:||Co-designing digitally enhanced cultural heritage experiences, audience and student engagement|
|Western Researchers:||Kylie Budge, Kate Richards, Rachel Hendery, Jonathon Allen and Noel Burgess|
|Years:||2019-11-20 - 2021-06-30|
|Thesis Title:||Cities, Creative Production and Innovation|
|Field of Research:|