Doctor Kylie Budge
Research Theme Fellow - Urban Living,
Office of DVC & VP, Research and Innovation
I research the intersections between people and technology and society. I have an interest in how these connections manifest to produce new knowledge about communication and cultural practices with an emphasis on access and inclusion. My interests include digital and material cultures of art and design; cultural institutions, their audiences and social media; cultures of making; identity; creativity; cultural theory and theories of value.
I am Senior Research Fellow (Urban Living & Society) investigating the creative city phenomenon by exploring the ways in which creative producers (such as artists and designers), cultural audiences, and social media contribute to the development of such spaces and places. I have a particular interest in the ways visual culture is used through social media such as Instagram to construct meanings of self and place. My work contributes to the fields of cultural studies, media and communication, and cultural geography.
My PhD research was a qualitative study exploring the nature of the value of artist and designers’ creative practice in relation to the teaching of art and design in Australian universities.
I have published in a range of journals, books, blogs, and other online media including Continuum, Curator: the Museum Journal, the Australasian Journal of Popular Culture, Journal of Media & Cultural Studies, International Journal of Art & Design Education, and Australian Geographer. I am currently writing a monograph - Art After Instagram - with Lachlan MacDowall, to be published by Routledge in late 2020. For a full list of my publications please click here.
I previously worked in the GLAM sector (galleries, libraries, archives, museums), and prior to that universities in both Australia and Japan.
I am a member of the Institute for Culture & Society and Digital Humanities Research Group at Western Sydney University, and serve on the Advisory Board of the Australasian Consortium of Humanities Research Centres.
I am available for consultancy work and can provide assistance in the following areas:
- Analysis of research, policy and practice - especially qualitative analysis
- Instagram and other social media research - visual analysis, understanding trends, providing interpretations of visitor/customer activity, interests and needs
- Advice and input into research design
- Emerging and future trends
- Thought leadership with expertise in the arts, design, and GLAM (galleries, libraries, archives & museum) sectors.
Contact me for more information: email@example.com
This information has been contributed by Doctor Budge.
- PhD University of Melbourne
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Office of DVC & VP, Research and Innovation
|Phone:||(02) 9685 4675|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Current Teaching Areas
- 102262 Design Histories and Futures
Previous Teaching Areas
- 101931 Media Memory, 2017
- 102262 Design Histories and Futures, 2018
- 101931 Media Memory, 2018
- Budge, K. (2019), 'Making in the city : disjunctures between public discourse and urban policy', Australian Geographer, vol 50, no 2 , pp 185 - 199.
- Budge, K. (2019), 'The ecosystem of a makerspace : human, material and place-based interrelationships', Journal of Design, Business & Society, vol 5, no 1 , pp 77 - 94.
- Budge, K. and Burness, A. (2018), 'Museum objects and Instagram : agency and communication in digital engagement', Continuum, vol 32, no 2 , pp 137 - 150.
- Budge, K. (2018), 'Encountering people and place : museums through the lens of Instagram', Australasian Journal of Popular Culture, vol 7, no 1 , pp 107 - 121.
- Budge, K. (2018), 'Visitors in immersive museum spaces and Instagram : self, place-making, and play', The Journal of Public Space, vol 3, no 3 , pp 121 - 138.
- Budge, K. (2017), 'Beyond folding and gathering : museums attending to the new materiality', Museum and Society, vol 15, no 1 , pp 33 - 42.
- Budge, K. (2017), 'Objects in focus : museum visitors and Instagram', Curator, vol 60, no 1 , pp 67 - 85.
- Budge, K. (2016), 'Learning to be : the modelling of art and design practice in university art and design teaching', International Journal of Art and Design Education, vol 35, no 2 , pp 243 - 258.
- Budge, K. (2016), 'The 'new' craft phenomena and the contemporary museum', Craft Research, vol 7, no 1 , pp 79 - 89.
- Budge, K., Lemon, N. and McPherson, M. (2016), 'Academics who tweet : "messy" identities in academia', Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education, vol 8, no 2 , pp 210 - 221.
- Budge, K. (2016), 'Teaching art and design : communicating creative practice through embodied and tacit knowledge', Arts and Humanities in Higher Education, vol 15, no 3-4 , pp 432 - 445.
- Budge, K. (2015), 'Social media as conduit in art : understanding connections to communities of practice through professional learning theory', Visual Inquiry, vol 4, no 3 , pp 169 - 179.
- Lemon, N., McPherson, M. and Budge, K. (2015), 'Academics doing it differently : wooing, hooking up and spinning stories', Journal of Perspectives in Applied Academic Practice, vol 3, no 2 , pp 15 - 25.
- McPherson, M., Budge, K. and Lemon, N. (2015), 'New practices in doing academic development : Twitter as an informal learning space', International Journal for Academic Development, vol 20, no 2 , pp 126 - 136.
- Budge, K. (2014), 'Context and performativity in identity choices : artists, designers and the academy', Educate~, vol 14, no 3 , pp 32 - 43.
- Budge, K., Beale, C. and Lynas, E. (2013), 'A chaotic intervention : creativity and peer learning in design education', International Journal of Art and Design Education, vol 32, no 2 , pp 146 - 156.
- Budge, K. (2013), 'Virtual studio practices : visual artists, social media and creativity', Journal of Science and Technology of the Arts, vol 5, no 1 , pp 15 - 23.
- Lynas, E., Budge, K. and Beale, C. (2013), 'Hands on : the importance of studio learning in design education', Visual Inquiry, vol 2, no 2 , pp 127 - 138.
- Budge, K. (2012), 'A question of values : why we need art and design in higher education', Art, Design and Communication in Higher Education, vol 11, no 1 , pp 5 - 16.
- Budge, K. (2012), 'Art and design blogs : a socially-wise approach to creativity', International Journal of Art and Design Education, vol 31, no 1 , pp 44 - 52.
- Budge, K. and Clarke, A. (2012), 'Academic development is a creative act', International Journal for Academic Development, vol 17, no 1 , pp 59 - 70.
- Budge, K. and Cowlishaw, K. (2012), 'Student and teacher perceptions of learning and teaching : a case study', Journal of Further and Higher Education, vol 36, no 4 , pp 549 - 565.
- Budge, K. (2011), 'A desire for the personal : student perceptions of electronic feedback', International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, vol 23, no 3 , pp 342 - 349.
- Clarke, A. and Budge, K. (2010), 'Listening for creative voices amid the cacophony of fiscal complaint about art and design education', International Journal of Art and Design Education, vol 29, no 2 , pp 153 - 162.
|Thesis Title:||Cities, Creative Production and Innovation|
|Field of Research:|