Doctor Daniela Spanjaard
DAP Hospitality, Marketing & Sport,
Hospitality, Marketing & Sport
Hospitality, Marketing & Sport
Daniela's background comes from industry experience working for multinational market research agencies specializing in Fast Moving Consumer Goods in a variety of account management positions. She has expertise in a wide range of market research methodologies (both qualitative and quantitative), building client relationships, and assisting companies with their brand management programmes. She has worked with both sales and marketing teams at all levels aiding to develop long term growth via marketing information and business strategies. Clients she has worked with include Arnotts, Campbells, Unilever, Uncle Tobys, Streets Ice Cream and NSW Police. Transitioning to academia where her work experiences have been used to apply the theory of marketing to the realities of the corporate environment (particularly market research projects and client relationship building). Her research area includes research methodologies and consumer behaviour, in particular consumer-brand relationships, the FMCG industry and more recently, higher education.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Spanjaard.
- PhD University of Technology, Sydney
- MBM University of Technology, Sydney
- Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy (2019 - 2024)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Hospitality, Marketing & Sport
- Hospitality, Marketing & Sport
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9638|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 200083 Marketing Principles, 2017
- 200280 Masters Project, 2012
- 200374 International Marketing Research, 2012
- 200732 Creating Markets, 2011
- 200823 Buyer Behaviour, 2009
- 201022 Customer Experience, 2019
Chapters in Books
- Richards, J., Parry, K. and Spanjaard, D. (2022), 'Studying sports fans through ethnographic methods : walk a mile in their shoes', Routledge Handbook of Sport Fans and Fandom, Routledge 9780367358310.
- Burton, S. and Spanjaard, D. (2016), 'Trying to lose weight in an 'obesogenic' environment : strategies, temptations and implications', A Stakeholder Approach to Managing Food: Local, National, and Global Issues, Routledge 9781472456052.
- Spanjaard, D., Garlin, F. and Mohammed, H. (2022), '[In Press] Tell me a story! : blending digital storytelling into marketing higher education for student engagement', Journal of Marketing Education, .
- Richards, J., O'Shea, M., Spanjaard, D. and Garlin, F. (2021), ''You can rent it for a while, but it is our house' : sports fans' experience of returning 'home' to a new multipurpose stadium', International Review for the Sociology of Sport, vol 56, no 7 , pp 981 - 996.
- Ahmed, F., Evangelista, F. and Spanjaard, D. (2021), 'The effects of mutuality in exporter-importer relationships', International Marketing Review, vol 38, no 6 , pp 1331 - 1369.
- Spanjaard, D., Hall, T. and Stegemann, N. (2018), 'Experiential learning : helping students become 'career-ready'', Australasian Marketing Journal, vol 26, no 2 , pp 163 - 171.
- Barbera, M., Northey, G., Septianto, F. and Spanjaard, D. (2018), 'Those prices are HOT! : how temperature-related visual cues anchor expectations of price and value', Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, vol 44 , pp 178 - 181.
- Spanjaard, D., Freeman, L. and Young, L. (2015), 'Reflections on journeys within the supermarket', Australasian Marketing Journal, vol 23, no 4 , pp 303 - 310.
- Spanjaard, D., Young, L. and Freeman, L. (2014), 'Emotions in supermarket brand choice : a multi-method approach', Qualitative Market Research, vol 17, no 3 , pp 209 - 224.
- Burton, S., Spanjaard, D. and Hoek, J. (2013), 'An investigation of tobacco retail outlets as a cue for smoking', Australasian Journal of Marketing, vol 21, no 4 , pp 234 - 239.
- Spanjaard, D. and Freeman, L. (2012), 'The hidden agenda : emotions in grocery shopping', International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, vol 22, no 5 , pp 439 - 457.
- Freeman, L. and Spanjaard, D. (2012), 'Bridging the gap : the case for expanding ethnographic techniques in the marketing research curriculum', Journal of Marketing Education, vol 34, no 3 , pp 238 - 250.
- Richards, J., O'Shea, M., Garlin, F., Spanjaard, D. and Hall, T. (2019), 'Kicking goals for Western Sydney : fan engagement and experience at Bankwest Stadium', Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand. Conference, Christchurch, N.Z..
- Mohammed, H., Spanjaard, D. and Garlin, F. (2019), 'Does digital storytelling assessment enhance student engagement?', Australian & New Zealand Marketing Academy. Conference, Wellington, N.Z..
- Stegemann, N. and Spanjaard, D. (2015), 'Blended learning in action', International Education Conference, Maui, Hawaii.
- Stegemann, N. and Spanjaard, D. (2013), 'Field trips : taking the classroom outside', The Clute Institute International Academic Conference, Maui, Hawaii.
- Burton, S., Spanjaard, D. and Hoek, J. (2012), 'An investigation of the impact of retail distribution on tobacco purchase and smoking', Australian & New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, Adeliade, S.A..
- Spanjaard, D. and Freeman, L. (2010), 'Do Consumers and Retailers Eat Off the Same Plate When it Comes to Premium House Brands? An Australian Perspective', European Conference for Association in Consumer Research, University of London.
- Spanjaard, D., Freeman, L. and Young, L. (2010), 'Putting Emotion in its Place: at the centre of brand equity', Brand, Identity and Corporate Reputation, Barcelona, Spain.
- Spanjaard, D. and Young, L. (2009), 'The confluence of student and teacher personality: towards a research adgenda', Proceeding of the 2009 ANZMAC Conference, Melbourne.
- Spanjaard, D., Freeman, L. and Young, L. (2009), 'The Accidental Ethnographer: a journey within the world of the supermarket', Practice, Politics and Ethics in Ethnographic Research, Liverpoole, England.
- Spanjaard, D. and Freeman, L. (2009), 'Negative Behaviour or Positive Emtions? Consumers in conflict during grocery shopping', Brand, Identity and Corporate Reputation, Cambridge University.
- Spanjaard, D. and Freeman, L. (2008), 'Why qualitative researchers squint : a micro analysis of the temporal aspects for grocery shopping', 2nd Latin American Advances in Consumer Research, Sao Paulo.
- Spanjaard, D., Freeman, L. and Young, L. (2008), 'Why Happy Shoppers Don't Stop and Think', ANZMAC 2008, Sydney, Australia.
- Spanjaard, D., Freeman, L. and Young, L. (2008), 'The Conscious Decision versus the Unconscious Choice: Observed Grocery Shopping', The 3rd Annual Symposium on Current Developments in Ethnographic Research in the Social and Management Sciences, Liverpool, England.
- 2019, 'Back to #PARRAdise: Preliminary Match-day Insights from Bankwest Stadium', Report
- 2019, 'Back to #PARRAdise: Match-day Insights from Bankwest Stadium', Report
- 2016, 'Taronga Zoo Visitor Experience Study 2016', Report
- 2012, 'An Investigation of the Impact of Retail Distribution on Tobacco Purchase and Smoking, and on High-kilojoule Food Purchases', Report
|Title:||Kicking Goals for Western Sydney: Fan Engagement and Experience at Bankwest Stadium|
|Western Researchers:||Jess Richards, Tim Hall, Dr Michelle O'Shea, Francine Garlin and Daniela Spanjaard|
|Years:||2019-06-20 - 2022-12-31|
|Title:||Feasibility study of research methods to capture lifestyle choices among young people|
|Western Researchers:||Ann Dadich, Daniela Spanjaard, Francine Garlin and Nicole Stegemann|
|Years:||2013-10-10 - 2016-07-18|
|Title:||An investigation of the impact of retail distribution on tobacco purchase and smoking, and on high-kilojoule food purchases|
|Western Researchers:||Suzan Burton and Daniela Spanjaard|
|Years:||2011-06-27 - 2017-12-30|
|Title:||Planning and Evaluating a Youth Skin Cancer Prevention Strategy - Phase One|
|Western Researchers:||Daniela Spanjaard, Ann Dadich, Francine Garlin and Nicole Stegemann|
|Years:||2012-05-01 - 2013-06-30|
|Thesis Title:||A Study of the Role of Technology and International Entrepreneurial Orientation on the Internationalization of Born-Global Small and Medium Enterprises|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Innovative learning techniques and curriculum development in accounting: Making a difference for students with communication apprehension|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||The Impact of Brand Relationship and Perceived Quality on Brand Loyalty of the Emerging Market Context in Vietnam|
|Field of Research:||Other Management And Commerce; Sales And Marketing, N.e.c.|
|Thesis Title:||Bitter Cold, Sharp Cheese and Loud Colours, The Chromatic Cacophony of Cross-Modal Sensory Perception|
|Field of Research:||Marketing; Other Management And Commerce|
|Thesis Title:||A Dyadic Study of Mutuality in Exporter-Importer Relationships|
|Field of Research:||Management And Commerce|
|Thesis Title:||Does the brand influence a student's evaluation of a university? An exploratory study|
|Field of Research:||Other Management And Commerce|
|Title:||How nudge theory can help shops avoid a backlash over plastic bag bans|
|Description:||Undoing shoppers engrained behaviours is a tricky job|