Doctor Andrew Bennie
Senior Lecturer Physical Education,
Dr Bennie's research and teaching interests are physical activity, teaching and learning in Health and Physical Education (HPE) and sports coaching. He completed his PhD on the topic of effective coaching in professional cricket, rugby league and rugby union by carrying interviews with athletes and coaches as well as conducting observations of team training sessions, team meetings, and in-competition coach communication. Dr Bennie's latest research focuses on pathways into sport coaching for Indigenous people and evaluating the use of motivational strategies to increase physical activity during primary (elementary) school physical education.
Dr Bennie has an undergraduate degree in HPE teaching (Hons I) and has taught in primary, secondary, and tertiary contexts. Within the HPE framework, he teaches physical education pedagogy, sports psychology, exercise science, and sports coaching. He also taught geography for two years while working in a K-12 secondary school.
Dr Bennie is interested in supervising postgraduate students working on aspects of physical activity in physical education, sports coaching, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples sport participation and education, as well as sport for development.
Dr Bennie also possesses a thorough interest in sport, life-long learning, Australian hip-hop, and contemporary issues such as conservation, sustainability, and globalisation.
Publications and impact:
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=sMc8sQsAAAAJ&hl=en
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrew_Bennie
The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/profiles/andrew-bennie-166082/articles
This information has been contributed by Doctor Bennie.
- PhD University of Sydney
- BEd University of Sydney
- Australian Track and Field Coaching Association (2002)
- Level 2 Sports Coach (2003)
- Physical Activity and Health Research Group, UWS (2012)
- National Aboriginal Sporting Chance Academy (2010)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- PDHPE (SoSH)
- Learning and Teaching Working Group
|Phone:||(02) 47360 590|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 400799 PDHPE: Recreational Sports, 2011
- 400980 Sport and Exercise Psychology, 2011
- 400880 Fundamentals of Exercise Science, 2011
- 400895 Aquatic Sports, 2012
- 400798 PDHPE: Games for Diverse Groups, 2012
- 400893 Ethical Issues in Sports and Athletics, 2012
- 401169 Coaching Sport and Recreation Activities, 2015
Chapters in Books
- Falc?o, W., Bennie, A. and Bloom, G. (2015), 'Desporto de alto rendimento : formac?o e competencias do treinador', Formac?o e Saberes em Desporto, Educac?o Fisica e Lazer, Omnniservicos 9789899939936.
- Bennie, A. and Moran, C. (2013), 'The coach-athlete relationship in Australian touch football', Science and Football VII, Routledge 9780415689915.
- Bennie, A. and O'Connor, D. (2013), 'Perceptions of effective coaching in Australian professional team sports', Science and Football VII, Routledge 9780415689915.
- Bennie, A. and Still, B. (2012), 'An overview of the benefits, issues and challenges that generalist primary school teachers face when teaching physical education', Current Issues and Controversies in School and Community Health, Sport and Physical Education, Nova Science 9781621003274.
- Bennie, A. (2011), 'Coaching and Adherence Issues in Youth Sport', Youth Sport in Australia, Sydney University Press 9781920899646.
- Lonsdale, C., Lester, A., Owen, K., White, R., Peralta, L., Kirwan, M., Diallo, T., Meader, A., Bennie, A., MacMillan, F., Kolt, G., Ntoumanis, N., Gore, J., Cerin, E., Cliff, D. and Lubans, D. (2019), 'An Internet-supported school physical activity intervention in low socioeconomic status communities : results from the Activity and Motivation in Physical Education (AMPED) cluster randomised controlled trial', British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol 53, no 6 , pp 341 - 347.
- Apoifis, N., Marlin, D. and Bennie, A. (2018), 'Noble athlete, savage coach : how racialised representations of Aboriginal athletes impede professional sport coaching opportunities for Aboriginal Australians', International Review for the Sociology of Sport, vol 53, no 7 , pp 854 - 868.
- Mack, M., Schulenkorf, N., Adair, D. and Bennie, A. (2018), 'Factors influencing the development of elite-level sports officials in Australia : the AFL, ABA and FFA', Sport in Society, vol 21, no 9 , pp 1240 - 1257.
- Huxley, D., O'Connor, D. and Bennie, A. (2018), 'Olympic and World Championship track and field athletes' experiences during the specialising and investment stages of development : a qualitative study with Australian male and female representatives', Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, vol 10, no 2 , pp 256 - 272.
- MacMillan, F., George, E., Feng, X., Merom, D., Bennie, A., Cook, A., Sanders, T., Dwyer, G., Pang, B., Guagliano, J., Kolt, G. and Astell-Burt, T. (2018), 'Do natural experiments of changes in neighborhood built environment impact physical activity and diet? : a systematic review', International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol 15, no 2 .
- Peralta, L., Cinelli, R. and Bennie, A. (2018), 'Mentoring as a tool to engage Aboriginal youth in remote Australian communities : a qualitative investigation of community members, mentees, teachers, and mentors' perspectives', Mentoring & Tutoring: Partnership in Learning, vol 26, no 1 , pp 30 - 49.
- Lubans, D., Beauchamp, M., Diallo, T., Peralta, L., Bennie, A., White, R., Owen, K. and Lonsdale, C. (2018), 'School physical activity intervention effect on adolescents' performance in mathematics', Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol 50, no 12 , pp 2442 - 2450.
- Bennie, A., Peralta, L., Gibbons, S., Lubans, D. and Rosenkranz, R. (2017), 'Physical education teachers' perceptions about the effectiveness and acceptability of strategies used to increase relevance and choice for students in physical education classes', Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, vol 45, no 3 , pp 302 - 319.
- Bennie, A., Apoifis, N., Caron, J., Falcao, W., Marlin, D., Garcia Bengoechea, E., Koh, K., MacMillan, F. and George, E. (2017), 'A guide to conducting systematic reviews of coaching science research', International Sport Coaching Journal, vol 4, no 2 , pp 191 - 205.
- Falcao, W., Bloom, G. and Bennie, A. (2017), 'Coaches' experiences learning and applying the content of a humanistic coaching workshop in youth sport settings', International Sport Coaching Journal, vol 4, no 3 , pp 279 - 290.
- Bennie, A., Apoifis, N., Marlin, D. and Caron, J. (2017), '[In Press] Cultural connections and cultural ceilings : exploring the experiences of Aboriginal Australian sport coaches', Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, .
- Lonsdale, C., Lester, A., Owen, K., White, R., Kirwan, M., Maeder, A., Bennie, A., MacMillan, F., Kolt, G., Ntoumanis, N., Gore, J., Cerin, E., Diallo, T., Cliff, D. and Lubans, D. (2016), 'An internet-supported physical activity intervention delivered in secondary schools located in low socio-economic status communities : study protocol for the Activity and Motivation in Physical Education (AMPED) cluster randomized controlled trial', BMC Public Health, vol 16, no 1 .
- Peralta, L., O'Connor, D., Cotton, W. and Bennie, A. (2016), 'Pre-service physical education teachers' indigenous knowledge, cultural competency and pedagogy : a service learning intervention', Teaching Education, vol 27, no 3 , pp 248 - 266.
- Kim, J., Bloom, G. and Bennie, A. (2016), 'Intercollegiate coaches' experiences and strategies for coaching first-year athletes', Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, vol 8, no 4 , pp 394 - 408.
- Lonsdale, C., Sanders, T., Cohen, K., Parker, P., Noetel, M., Hartwig, T., Vasoncellos, D., Kirwan, M., Morgan, P., Salmon, J., Moodie, M., McKay, H., Bennie, A., Plotnikoff, R., Cinelli, R., Greene, D., Peralta, L., Cliff, D., Kolt, G. and Lubans, D. (2016), 'Scaling-up an efficacious school-based physical activity intervention : study protocol for the 'Internet-based Professional Learning to help teachers support Activity in Youth' (iPLAY) cluster randomized controlled trial and scale-up implementation evaluation', BMC Public Health, vol 16 .
- Bennie, A. and Langan, E. (2015), 'Physical activity during physical education lessons : a qualitative investigation of Australian PE teacher perceptions', International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, .
- Araya, J., Bennie, A. and O'Connor, D. (2015), 'Understanding performance coach development : perceptions about a postgraduate coach education program', International Sport Coaching Journal, vol 2, no 1 , pp 3 - 14.
- White, R. and Bennie, A. (2015), 'Resilience in youth sport : a qualitative investigation of gymnastics coach and athlete perceptions', International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, vol 10, no 2-3 , pp 379 - 393.
- Caron, J., Bloom, G. and Bennie, A. (2015), 'Canadian high school coaches' experiences, insights, and perceived roles with sport-related concussions', International Sport Coaching Journal, vol 2, no 3 , pp 285 - 297.
- Peralta, L., O'Connor, D., Cotton, W. and Bennie, A. (2014), 'The effects of a community and school sport-based program on urban Indigenous adolescents' life skills and physical activity levels : the SCP case study', Health, vol 6 , pp 2469 - 2480.
- Lonsdale, C., Rosenkranz, R., Peralta, L., Bennie, A., Fahey, P. and Lubans, D. (2013), 'A systematic review and meta-analysis of interventions designed to increase moderate-to-vigorous physical activity in school physical education lessons', Preventive Medicine, vol 56, no 2 , pp 152 - 161.
- Lonsdale, C., Rosenkranz, R., Sanders, T., Peralta, L., Bennie, A., Jackson, B., Taylor, I. and Lubans, D. (2013), 'A cluster randomized controlled trial of strategies to increase adolescents' physical activity and motivation in physical education : results of the Motivating Active Learning in Physical Education (MALP) trial', Preventive Medicine, vol 57, no 5 , pp 696 - 702.
- Bennie, A. and O'Connor, D. (2012), 'Perceptions and strategies of effective coaching leadership : a qualitative investigation of professional coaches and players', International Journal of Sport and Health Science, vol 10 , pp 82 - 89.
- Rosenkranz, R., Lubans, D., Peralta, L., Bennie, A., Sanders, T. and Lonsdale, C. (2012), 'A cluster-randomized controlled trial of strategies to increase adolescents' physical activity and motivation during physical education lessons : the Motivating Active Learning in Physical Education (MALP) trial', BMC Public Health, vol 1 .
- Bennie, A. and O'Connor, D. (2012), 'Coach-athlete relationships : a qualitative study of professional sport teams in Australia', International Journal of Sport and Health Science, vol 10 , pp 58 - 64.
- Bennie, A. and O'Connor, D. (2011), 'An Effective Coaching Model: The Perceptions and Strategies of Professional Team Sport Coaches and Players in Australia', International Journal of Sport and Health Science, vol 9 , pp 98 - 104.
- Bennie, A. and O'Connor, D. (2010), 'Coaching philosophies : perceptions from professional cricket, rugby league and rugby union players and coaches in Australia', International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching, vol 5, no 2 , pp 309 - 320.
- Bennie, A. and O'Connor, D. (2006), 'Athletic transition: A qualitative investigation of elite track and field participation in the years following high school', Change: Transformations in Education, vol 9, no 1 , pp 56 - 68.
- O'Connor, D. and Bennie, A. (2006), 'The retention of youth sport coaches', Change: Transformations in Education, vol 9, no 1 , pp 27 - 38.
- Bennie, A. and Still, B. (2011), 'Contemporary benefits, issues and challenges primary teachers face when teaching Physical Education', Moving, Learning and Achieving: The 27th ACHPER International Conference., Adelaide.
- 2017, 'Coaching Unlimited: Empowering Generations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Leaders: A Research Report Commissioned by Netball Australia and Netball New South Wales', Research Report
- 2015, 'Evaluation of the National Aboriginal Sporting Chance Association (NASCA) Athlete and Role Models Tour (ARMtour): A Case Study of Three Remote Communities', Research Report
- 2012, 'Evaluation of the National Aboriginal Sporting Chance Academy's (NASCA) Sporting Chance Program: Tempe, Marrickville and Alexandria Park Community High Schools: Term 4, 2011', Research Report
Dr Bennie is interested in conducting research and supervising postgraduate students in the following areas:
- Physical Activity
- Physical Education
- Sports Coaching
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples Sport Participation
- Sport for Social Change
- Qualitative research and mixed-methods studies
- Donna O'Connor
- Chris Lonsdale
- David Lubans
- Richard R. Rosenkranz
- Taren Sanders
- Ben Jackson
- Ian Taylor
- Wayne Cotton
- Rhiannon Lee White
- William R. Falcão
- Gordon A. Bloom
- Jeff Caron
- Louisa Peralta
- Morwenna Kirwan
- Anthony J Maeder
- Katherine Owen
- Jennifer Gore
- Nikos Ntoumanis
- Freya MacMillan
- Gregory Kolt
This information has been contributed by Doctor Bennie.
|Years:||2017-09-01 - 2020-12-18|
|Title:||Using Sport Coaching as a Tool to Build Capacity in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities|
|Western Researchers:||Andrew Bennie|
|Years:||2017-10-04 - 2018-10-03|
|Title:||Evidence-based Physical Activity Promotion in NSW Primary Schools [via ACU - no funding to UWS]|
|Western Researchers:||Morwenna Kirwan, Anthony Maeder, Gregory Kolt and Andrew Bennie|
|Years:||2015-01-01 - 2016-12-31|
|Title:||Physical activity in physical education: The impact of attitudes and teaching styles on physical activity|
|Western Researchers:||Andrew Bennie and Chris Lonsdale|
|Years:||2011-09-13 - 2012-09-12|
|Title:||Harley Windsor, Winter Olympian|
|Description:||2ser Radio Interview|
|Title:||Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander pathways into coaching|
|Description:||2ser radio interview|
|Title:||Intercollegiate coaches??? experiences and strategies for coaching first-year athletes|
|Description:||McGill Tribute Article|
|Title:||Aboriginal Coaching Experiences|
|Title:||Racial stereotypes stymie Aboriginal leadership in sport, research finds|
|Description:||Medical Express Online Article|
|Title:||Sport coaches as agents for social change|
|Title:||Why are so few professional sport coaches from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities?|
|Title:||Sports coaches need to be educated about concussion to keep players safe on the field|
|Description:||Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Coaches|
|Title:||Aboriginal Coaching Forum|
|Description:||Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Sport Coaches Share their Stories|
|Title:||ABC - PM Program|
|Description:||Less than one per cent of sports coaches in Australia are Indigenous|