Associate Professor Ruying Qi
Languages, Interpreting and Translation (SoHCA)
Dr Ruying Qi is Associate Professor, PhD Supervisor, Head of the China Liaison Unit, Director of Bilingualism Research Lab @WSU-JNU in the School of Humanities and Communication Arts, and an adjunct member of ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language. Her research focuses on bi- and multilingual development, bilingual first language acquisition, Chinese language and culture pedagogy, and its applications to development of effective curricula for Chinese L2 learners as well as early childhood bilingual education. Her monograph (2011) The Bilingual Acquisition of English and Mandarin: Chinese Children in Australia. (New York: Cambria Press) remains the only systematic study in Mandarin-English childhood bilingualism and is regarded as "a ground-breaking study" by scholars’ reviews. This book is being translated into Chinese and will be published by Commercial Press (Beijing). She has published several journal articles and book chapters on early bilingualism and language teaching and has been a frequent invited speaker at national, international conferences, workshops, public lectures in Chinese education, Bilingualism and Applied Linguistics.
Dr Qi has achieved four international Research Fellowships and Visiting Professorship at Nanjing University, Jinan University, Chinese University of Hong Kong and University of London. She has also served as expert advisor, assessor and reviewer on nine state, national and international educational advisory and academic bodies including China’s Ministry of Education, the NSW Board of Studies and the Australian Office of Learning and Teaching.
Dr Qi’s has received high-level media attention with features in The Australian (20 August 2014), 23 global web news, China’s prestigious news agency Xinhua, People’s Online TV, TVS TV and SBS TV. She was awarded the 2009 Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning and the 2011 UWS College of Arts Teaching Excellence Award together with her Chinese Teaching Team as well as the 2012 Australian Office of Learning and Teaching (OLT) Citation Award for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning.
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Qi.
- CertNAATI Nat Accreditation Auth for Translators & Interpret
- GDipEd University of Sydney
- BA Anhui University, Hefei
- PhD University of Western Sydney
- MA Wuhan University, China
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Languages, Interpreting and Translation (SoHCA)
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6641|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Qi, R. (2011), 'The Bilingual Acquisition of English and Mandarin: Chinese Children in Australia', : Cambria Press 9781604977745.
Chapters in Books
- Qi, R. (2014), 'Translation of "The Bilingual Child" : Theory and Practice', Dynamics and Insights: Linguistics and Technology, Beijing World Publishing Corporation 9787510078910.
- Qi, X. and Qi, R. (2013), 'Foreign language education', Education in China : Educational History, Models, and Initiatives, Berkshire Publishing Group 9781933782591.
- Qi, R. and Qi, X. (2012), 'Designing an assessment for Chinese language teaching in Australian universities : a 3D approach', China Language Strategies, Shanghai Translation Publishing House 9787532757596.
- Hua, Z. and Qi, R. (2015), 'Interaction between phonological and lexical development of Putonghua-speaking children', China Language Strategies , vol 2, no 1 , pp 72 - 86.
- Qi, R. and Wu, W. (2015), 'Input and acquisition of Mandarin classifiers by English-Mandarin bilingual children', China Language Strategies, vol 2, no 1 , pp 86 - 106.
- Di Biase, B. and Qi, R. (2015), 'Why speaking two languages is advantageous for the speaker', China Language Strategies, vol 2, no 1 , pp 23 - 29.
- Qi, R., Tsukada, K. and Hua, Z. (2012), 'Preliminary report : an acoustic phonetic analysis of word-initial stop production by young simultaneous Mandarin-English bilingual children', Asia Pacific Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing, vol 15, no 1 , pp 73 - 84.
- Qi, R. (2010), 'Pronoun acquisition in a Mandarin-English bilingual child', International Journal of Bilingualism, vol 14, no 1 , pp 37 - 64.
- Qi, R., Di Biase, B. and Campbell, S. (2006), 'The transition from nominal to pronominal person reference in the early language of a mandarin-english bilingual child', International Journal of Bilingualism, vol 10, no 3 , pp 301 - 329.
- Qi, R. (2008), 'Assessment in Australian Chinese teaching contexts : an integrated approach', for 9th International Symposium on Chinese Language Teaching, Beijing.
- Qi, R. (2005), 'From nominal to pronominal person reference in the early language of a Mandarin-English Bilingual child', ISB4: 4th International Symposium on Bilingualism, Arizona, USA.
|Title:||Mandarin-English Bilingual Child Development (3 - 5 years old) and its Implications for Early Bilingual Teaching|
|Years:||2016-12-19 - 2018-03-31|
|Western Researchers:||Ruying Qi|
|Title:||International Visiting Fellowships: Prof Li Wei and Dr Zhu Hua|
|Years:||2004-03-31 - 2005-03-30|
|Western Researchers:||Ruying Qi, Bruno Di Biase and Stuart Campbell|
|Title:||The nature of phonology and the weaker language in a bilingual Mandarin-English child|
|Years:||2005-02-01 - 2007-12-31|
|Western Researchers:||Ruying Qi and Stuart Campbell|
|Title:||Person and Identity in Mandarin-English Children's language development: a singleton and sibling case study in Australia|
|Years:||2012-11-15 - 2015-05-30|
|Western Researchers:||Ruying Qi and Chong Han|
|Title:||Collaboration with ARC Linkage Application: Language Development Milestones in Chinese Mandarin Children|
|Years:||2008-06-17 - 2011-07-31|
|Western Researchers:||Ruying Qi|