Associate Professor Michael Tyler
Psychology: Behavioural Science (SSAP)
The University of Western Sydney has been a magnet in Michael Tyler's career. He first completed a Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Sydney (1993-1995), double-majoring in Psychology and Linguistics, followed by an honours year at the University of Western Sydney (1996). After beginning his PhD in Psychology at the University of New South Wales in 1998, under the supervision of Prof. Denis Burnham, he soon transferred to the University of Western Sydney, where Prof. Burnham had taken up the position of Director of the MARCS Institute.
After completing his PhD he moved to France (Dijon) for a one-year postdoctoral research appointment at the Laboratoire d'Etude de l'Apprentissage et du Développement (CNRS), Université de Bourgogne and then to the Max-Planck-Institute for Psycholinguistics (Nijmegen, The Netherlands) for a further 7 months. After nearly two years overseas, the Western Sydney University magnet pulled him back again. He returned to MARCS in 2005 to work with Prof. Catherine Best on cross-language speech perception. In 2008 he took up a position as Lecturer in the School of Psychology.
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Tyler.
- BA University of Sydney
- PhD University of Western Sydney
- BA University of Western Sydney
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Psychology: Behavioural Science (SSAP)
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6507|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 100023 Psychology of Language, 2016
- 101677 Cognitive Processes, 2016
- 101680 Perception, 2016
- 800173 Cognitive Science: Research and Application, 2016
Chapters in Books
- Best, C. and Tyler, M. (2007), 'Nonnative and second-language speech perception', Language Experience in Second Language Speech Learning: In honor of James Emil Flege, John Benjamins 9027219737.
- Burnham, D., Tyler, M. and Horlyck, S. (2002), 'Period of Speech Perception Development and their Vestiges in Adulthood', An Integrated View of Language Development: Papers in Honour of Henning Wode, Wissenschaftlicher Verlag Trier 3884764888.
- Fenwick, S., Best, C., Davis, C. and Tyler, M. (2017), 'The influence of auditory-visual speech and clear speech on cross-language perceptual assimilation', Speech Communication, vol 92 , pp 114 - 124.
- Jonason, P., Nolland, M. and Tyler, M. (2017), 'Incorporating geographic distance into mate preference research : necessities and luxuries, 2.0', Personal Relationships, vol 24, no 3 , pp 585 - 597.
- Faris, M., Best, C. and Tyler, M. (2016), 'An examination of the different ways that non-native phones may be perceptually assimilated as uncategorized', Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 139, no 1 , pp 1 - 5.
- Best, C., Goldstein, L., Nam, H. and Tyler, M. (2016), 'Articulating what infants attune to in native speech', Ecological Psychology, vol 28, no 4 , pp 216 - 261.
- Johnson, E., Seidl, A. and Tyler, M. (2014), 'The edge factor in early word segmentation : utterance-level prosody enables word form extraction by 6-month-olds', PLoS One, vol 9, no 1 , pp 1 - 14.
- Tyler, M., Best, C., Goldstein, L. and Antoniou, M. (2014), 'Investigating the role of articulatory organs and perceptual assimilation of native and non-native fricative place contrasts', Developmental Psychobiology, vol 56 , pp 210 - 227.
- Tyler, M., Best, C., Faber, A. and Levitt, A. (2014), 'Perceptual assimilation and discrimination of non-native vowel contrasts', Phonetica, vol 71, no 1 , pp 4 - 21.
- Hoch, L., Tyler, M. and Tillmann, B. (2013), 'Regularity of unit length boosts statistical learning in verbal and nonverbal artificial languages', Psychonomic Bulletin and Review, vol 20, no 1 , pp 142 - 147.
- Stevens, C., Keller, P. and Tyler, M. (2013), 'Tonal language background and detecting pitch contour in spoken and musical items', Psychology of Music, vol 41, no 1 , pp 59 - 74.
- Morrison, B., Wiggins, M., Bond, N. and Tyler, M. (2013), 'Measuring relative cue strength as a means of validating an inventory of expert offender profiling cues', Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making, vol 7, no 2 , pp 211 - 226.
- Antoniou, M., Best, C. and Tyler, M. (2013), 'Focusing the lens of language experience : perception of Ma'di stops by Greek and English bilinguals and monolinguals', Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 133, no 4 , pp 2397 - 2411.
- Mulak, K., Best, C., Tyler, M., Kitamura, C. and Irwin, J. (2013), 'Development of phonological constancy : 19-month-olds, but not 15-month-olds, identify words in a non-native regional accent', Child Development, vol 84, no 6 , pp 2064 - 2078.
- McQueen, J., Tyler, M. and Cutler, A. (2012), 'Lexical retuning of children's speech perception : evidence for knowledge about words' component sounds', Language Learning and Development, vol 8, no 4 , pp 317 - 339.
- Antoniou, M., Tyler, M. and Best, C. (2012), 'Two ways to listen : do L2-dominant bilinguals perceive stop voicing according to language mode?', Journal of Phonetics, vol 40, no 4 , pp 582 - 594.
- Bundgaard-Nielsen, R., Best, C., Kroos, C. and Tyler, M. (2012), 'Second language learners' vocabulary expansion is associated with improved second language vowel intelligibility', Applied Psycholinguistics, vol 33, no 3 , pp 643 - 664.
- Bundgaard-Nielsen, R., Best, C. and Tyler, M. (2011), 'Vocabulary size matters: The assimilation of second-language Australian English vowels to first-language Japanese vowel categories', Applied Psycholinguistics, vol 32, no 1 , pp 51 - 67.
- Bundgaard-Nielsen, R., Best, C. and Tyler, M. (2011), 'Vocabulary size is associated with second-language vowel perception performance in adult learners', Studies in Second Language Acquisition, vol 33, no 3 , pp 433 - 461.
- Antoniou, M., Best, C., Tyler, M. and Kroos, C. (2011), 'Inter-language interference in VOT production by L2-dominant bilinguals : asymmetries in phonetic code-switching', Journal of Phonetics, vol 39, no 4 , pp 558 - 570.
- Johnson, E. and Tyler, M. (2010), 'Testing the limits of statistical learning for word segmentation', Developmental Science, vol 13:2, no 2010 , pp 339 - 345.
- Antoniou, M., Best, C., Tyler, M. and Kroos, C. (2010), 'Language context elicits native-like stop voicing in early bilinguals' productions in both L1 and L2', Journal of Phonetics, vol 38, no 4 , pp 640 - 653.
- Best, C., Tyler, M., Gooding, T., Orlando, C. and Quann, C. (2009), 'Development of phonological constancy : toddlers' perception of native- and Jamaican-accented words', Psychological Science, vol 20, no 5 , pp 539 - 542.
- Tyler, M. and Cutler, A. (2009), 'Cross-language differences in cue use for speech segmentation', Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 126, no 1 , pp 367 - 376.
- Tyler, M., Jones, C., Grebennikov, L., Leigh, G., Noble, W. and Burnham, D. (2009), 'Effect of Caption Rate on the Comprehension of Educational Television Programmes by Deaf School Students', Deafness and Education International, vol 11, no 3 , pp 152 - 162.
- Burnham, D., Leigh, G., Noble, W., Jones, C., Tyler, M., Grebennikov, L. and Varley, A. (2008), 'Parameters in Television Captioning for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Adults: Effects of Caption Rate Versus Text Reduction on Comprehension', Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, vol 13, no 3 , pp 391 - 404.
- Perruchet, P., Peereman, R. and Tyler, M. (2006), 'Do We Need Algebraic-Like Computations? A reply to Bonatti, Pena, Nespor and Mehler', Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, vol 135, no 2 , pp 322 - 326.
- Tyler, M. and Burnham, D. (2006), 'Orthographic influences on phoneme deletion response times', The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, vol 59, no 11 , pp 2010 - 2031.
- Tyler, M., Tyler, L. and Burnham, D. (2005), 'The delayed trigger voice key: An improved analogue voice key for psycholinguistic research', Behavior Research Methods, vol 37, no 1 , pp 139 - 147.
- Perruchet, P., Tyler, M., Galland, N. and Peereman, R. (2004), 'Learning Nonadjacent Dependencies: No Need for Algebraic-Like Computations', Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, vol 133, no 4 , pp 573 - 583.
- Tyler, M. (2001), 'Resource consumption as a function of topic knowledge in nonnative and native comprehension', Language Learning, vol 51 , pp 257 - 280.
- Fenwick, S., Best, C., Davis, C. and Tyler, M. (2016), 'The influence of modality and speaking style on the assimilation type and categorization consistency of non-native speech', INTERSPEECH (Conference) , San Francisco, Calif..
- Faris, M., Best, C. and Tyler, M. (2016), 'L2 phonological category formation and discrimination in learners varying in L2 experience', Australasian International Conference on Speech Science and Technology, Parramatta, N.S.W..
- Wright, S., Lathouwers, M., Best, C. and Tyler, M. (2016), 'Cross-accent word recognition is affected by perceptual assimilation', Australasian International Conference on Speech Science and Technology, Parramatta, N.S.W..
- Peretokina, V., Best, C., Tyler, M. and Di Biase, B. (2016), '"She has many... cat?" : on-line processing of L2 morphophonology by Mandarin learners of English', Australasian International Conference on Speech Science and Technology, Parramatta, N.S.W..
- Faris, M., Best, C. and Tyler, M. (2015), 'The perceptual assimilation of Danish monophthongs and diphthongs by monolingual Australian English speakers', International Congress of Phonetic Sciences , Glasgow, U.K..
- Peretokina, V., Best, C., Tyler, M., Shaw, J. and Di Biase, B. (2015), 'Perception of English codas in various phonological and morphological contexts by Mandarin learners of English', International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Nguyen Thi Hong Nhung, N., Shaw, J., Tyler, M., Pinkus, R. and Best, C. (2015), 'Affective attitudes towards Asians influence perception of Asian-accented vowels', International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Glasgow, U.K..
- Fenwick, S., Davis, C., Best, C. and Tyler, M. (2015), 'The effect of modality and speaking style on the discrimination of non-native phonological and phonetic contrasts in noise', Joint Conference on Facial Analysis, Animation and Auditory-Visual Speech Processing, Vienna, Austria.
- Fenwick, S., Best, C. and Tyler, M. (2015), 'Non-native discrimination across speaking style, modality, and phonetic feature', International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Tyler, M., Kawase, S. and Antoniou, M. (2014), 'Does immersion experience reduce /r/-/l/ category overlap for Japanese learners of English?', Australasian International Conference on Speech Science and Technology, Christchurch, N.Z..
- Peretokina, V., Tyler, M. and Best, C. (2014), 'Influence of phonological, morphological, and prosodic factors on phoneme detection by native and second-language adults', Australasian International Conference on Speech Science and Technology, Christchurch, N.Z..
- Shaw, J., Tyler, M., Kasisopa, B., Ma, Y., Proctor, M., Han, C., Derrick, D. and Burnham, D. (2013), 'Vowel identity conditions the time course of tone recognition', Conference of the International Speech Communication Association, Lyon, France.
Second Language Speech Learning; Cross-Language Speech Perception; Spoken Word Recognition; Statistical Language Learning Developmental and Auditory Psycholinguistics; Research Methodology.
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Tyler.
|Title:||How do infants segment their first words from continuous speech?|
|Western Researchers:||Michael Tyler and Catherine Best|
|Years:||2005-12-21 - 2007-06-20|
|Title:||Development of second language phonetic and phonological categories|
|Western Researchers:||Michael Tyler|
|Years:||2008-01-01 - 2012-09-30|
|Title:||AHAA! (Analysis of Human Articulate Activities): A Communicative Dynamics Research Facility|
|Western Researchers:||Catherine Best, Kate Stevens, Michael Tyler, Christian Kroos, Christopher Davis and Denis Burnham|
|Years:||2006-09-01 - 2007-08-31|
|Title:||Dynamic Auditory-Visual Humans|
|Western Researchers:||Christopher Davis, Denis Burnham, Catherine Best, Roger Dean, Kate Stevens, Jeesun Kim, Christian Kroos, Michael Tyler and Connie So|
|Years:||2007-08-06 - 2008-12-31|
|Title:||Perceptual Reorganisation of Speech-UAM_Polish Collaboration|
|Years:||2016-06-17 - 2017-03-09|
Associate Professor Tyler is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||The Role of Visual Information on the Perceptual Assimilation of Non-Native Speech|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Perceptual Assimilation, Discrimination and Acquisition of Non-native and Second-language Vowels Assimilated as Uncategorised|
|Field of Research:||Other Health|