Mrs Meda Couzens
School of Law
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Law
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Couzens, M. (2017), 'Child participation in local governance', Handbook of Children's Rights: Global and Multidisciplinary Perspectives, Routledge 9781848724785.
- Couzens, E. and Couzens, M. (2017), 'A comparison of constitutional provisions on water-related rights in Southern African states', Water Resource Management and the Law, Edward Elgar Publishing 9781785369827.
- Couzens, M. (2017), 'CRC dialogues : does the Committee on the Rights of the Child 'speak' to the National Courts?', The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child: Taking Stock after 25 Years and Looking Ahead, Brill 9789004295049.
- Couzens, M. (2015), 'France', Litigating the Rights of the Child: The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child in Domestic and International Jurisprudence, Springer 9789401794442.
- Couzens, M. (2015), 'The contribution of the South African Constitutional Court to the jurisprudential development of the best interests of the child', Law in Society: Reflections on Children, Family, Culture and Philosophy: Essays in Honour of Michael Freeman, Brill 9789004261488.
- Couzens, M. (2019), 'The best interests of the child and the Constitutional Court', Constitutional Court Review, vol 9 , pp 363 - 386.
- Couzens, M. (2018), 'Le Roux v Dey and children's rights approaches to judging', Potchefstroom Electronic Law Journal, vol 21 , pp 1 - 27.
- Couzens, M. (2017), 'The Prosecution of female genital mutilation : a discussion of its implications for South Africa in the light of a recent Australian case', South African Law Journal, vol 134, no 1 , pp 116 - 140.
- Couzens, M. (2016), 'Romanian courts and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child : a case study', International Journal of Children's Rights, vol 24, no 4 , pp 851 - 887.
- Couzens, E., Bellengere, A., Couzens, M. and Bellengere, D. (2016), ''The baboon behaved impeccably' : animal rights and welfare in South Africa, some recent foreign judgments, and the case of Macrae v State [SCA, 2014]', The South African Journal of Environmental Law and Policy, vol 22 , pp 239 - 269.
- Couzens, M. (2013), 'The Constitutional Court consolidates its child-focused jurisprudence : the case of C v. Department of Health and Social Development, Gauteng', South African Law Journal, vol 130, no 4 , pp 672 - 688.
- Couzens, M. (2012), 'An analysis of the contribution of the South African Human Rights Commission to protecting and promoting the rights of children', South African Journal on Human Rights, vol 28, no 3 , pp 553 - 585.
- Couzens, M. (2012), 'Exploring public participation as a vehicle for child participation in governance : a view from South Africa', International Journal of Children's Rights, vol 20, no 4 , pp 674 - 704.
- Zaal, F. and Couzens, M. (2012), 'Articulating common law and statutory parental responsibilities : Wheeler v Wheeler 2011 2 All SA 459 (KZP)', Tydskrif vir die Suid Afrikaanse Reg = Journal of South African Law, vol 2012, no 1 , pp 188 - 194.
- Couzens, M. (2012), 'Procurement adjudication and the rights of children : Freedom Stationery (Pty) Ltd v. MEC for Education, Eastern Cape 2011 JOL 26927 (E)', Potchefstroom Electronic Law Journal, vol 15, no 1 , pp 392 - 410.
- Couzens, M. (2011), 'Child-friendly municipalities : including children on local government's agenda', Stellenbosch Law Review, vol 22, no 1 , pp 137 - 159.
- Couzens, M. (2010), 'The best interests of the child and its collective connotations in the South African law', Tydskrif vir Hedendaagse Romeins-Hollandse Reg (Journal for Contemporary Roman-Dutch Law), vol 73, no 2 , pp 266 - 287.
- Couzens, M. (2009), 'A very long engagement : the Children's Act 38 of 2005 and the 1993 Hague Convention on the Protection of Children and Cooperation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption', Potchefstroom Electronic Law Journal, vol 12, no 1 , pp 54 - 93.
- Couzens, M. and Zaal, F. (2009), 'Legal recognition for child-headed households : an evaluation of the emerging South African Framework', International Journal of Children's Rights, vol 17, no 2 , pp 299 - 320.
- 2011, 'Creating Space for Child Participation in Local Governance in Tanzania: Save the Children and Children's Councils', Report