Doctor Ryan Thorneycroft
Lecturer in Criminology,
Criminology & Policing
Ryan is a Lecturer in Criminology in the School of Social Sciences and a member of the Sexualities and Genders Research (SaGR) strand. He completed his PhD in 2018, and recently published his first book, Reimagining Disablist and Ableist Violence as Abjection, with Routledge's Interdisciplinary Disability Studies series. He has published in a range of leading journals, including Theoretical Criminology, Disability & Society, Porn Studies, and the International Journal for Crime, Justice, and Social Democracy. Ryan's previous work has focused on hate crime and vulnerability, and his current research areas, sitting at the intersections of criminology and sociology, include disability studies, violence, abjection, and porn studies. He is broadly interested in the ways in which marginalised populations are constituted and regulated, and deploys crip and queer theory through much of his work. He is interested in supervising Masters and PhD students in any of his research areas, particularly if they involve life history narratives and post-structuralist perspectives. He also co-ordinates the large first year subject, Introduction to Criminal Justice.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Thorneycroft.
- PhD Western Sydney University
- TASA (2018)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Criminology & Policing
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6988|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Current Teaching Areas
- 102709 Introduction to Criminal Justice
Previous Teaching Areas
- 102181 Nation, Power and Difference, 2019
- 102709 Introduction to Criminal Justice, 2020
- 102709 Introduction to Criminal Justice, 2021
- Thorneycroft, R. (2020), 'Reimagining Disablist and Ableist Violence as Abjection', : Routledge 9780367365547.
Chapters in Books
- Thorneycroft, R. (2022), 'Prenatal testing, Down syndrome, and selective termination : a (critical) criminology of genocide?', Diversity in Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies, Emerald Publishing 9781801170024.
- Thorneycroft, R. and Nicholas, L. (2021), 'Queer and crip temporalities during COVID-19 : sexual practices, risk and responsibility', The COVID-19 Crisis: Social Perspectives, Routledge 9780367628956.
- Thorneycroft, R. (2017), 'Problematising and reconceptualising 'vulnerability' in the context of disablist violence', Policing Encounters with Vulnerability, Palgrave 9783319512273.
- Thorneycroft, R. (2022), 'The man they called a monster : forty years on', Archives of Sexual Behavior, vol 51, no 2 , pp 1363 - 1374.
- Thorneycroft, R. and Smilges, J. (2022), '[In Press] Choosing disability : bug chasing and gift giving in gay pornography', Porn Studies, .
- Thorneycroft, R. and Asquith, N. (2021), 'Cripping criminology', Theoretical Criminology, vol 25, no 2 , pp 187 - 208.
- Thorneycroft, R. and Asquith, N. (2021), 'Unexceptional violence in exceptional times : disablist and ableist violence during the COVID-19 pandemic', International Journal for Crime, Justice and Social Democracy, vol 10, no 2 , pp 140 - 155.
- McDonald, J., Graves, J., Abrahams, N., Thorneycroft, R. and Hegazi, I. (2021), 'Moral judgement development during medical student clinical training', BMC Medical Education, vol 21, no 1 .
- Thorneycroft, R. (2021), 'Cripping incest discourse(s)', Sexuality and Culture, vol 25, no 6 , pp 1910 - 1926.
- Thorneycroft, R. (2021), '[In Press] 'Facefuck Me' : exploring crip porn', Porn Studies, .
- Thorneycroft, R. (2021), 'Theorie cripet etudes de la folie : intersections et points de depart', Canadian Journal of Disability Studies, vol 10, no 3 , pp 225 - 267.
- Thorneycroft, R. (2020), 'Walking to the train station with Amal : dis/ability and in/visibility', Disability and Society, vol 35, no 6 , pp 861 - 875.
- Thorneycroft, R. (2020), 'Crip theory and mad studies : intersections and points of departure', Canadian Journal of Disability Studies, vol 9, no 1 , pp 91 - 121.
- Thorneycroft, R. (2020), 'If not a fist, then what about a stump? : ableism and heteronormativity within Australia's porn regulations', Porn Studies, vol 7, no 2 , pp 152 - 167.
- Thorneycroft, R. (2020), 'When does research end? : the emotional labour of researching abjection', Methodological Innovations, vol 13, no 2 .
- Thorneycroft, R. and Asquith, N. (2017), ''Figurehead' hate crime cases : developing a framework for understanding and exposing the 'problem' with 'disability'', Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies, vol 31, no 3 , pp 482 - 494.
- Thorneycroft, R. and Asquith, N. (2015), 'The dark figure of disablist violence', Howard Journal of Criminal Justice, vol 54, no 5 , pp 489 - 507.
|Thesis Title:||Police and Lebanese Australian: Using Appreciative Inquiry to Understand their Relationship and Identify Change|
|Field of Research:||Police Studies|