Doctor Ming Wu
Academic Program Advisor, Medical Science,
Following my undergraduate training in Veterinary Medicine (1979-83), I continued the postgraduate pursuit of Masters Degree in Veterinary Immunology and Virology (1983-86). Prior to my employment at Western Sydney University, I had worked in a number of prestigious institutions such as Victoria Primary Industry, University of Melbourne, CSL, Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health, University of Sydney, Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, and Elizabeth Macarthur Agricultural Institute (EMAI) NSW Primary Industry.
At WSU, together with my colleagues I have been working on the area of oxidative stress and metal toxicity. The research activities focus on basic understanding of the cell’s molecular response against physiologically relevant oxidants such as hydrogen peroxide, lipid peroxide, superoxide, diamide, peroxynitrite as well as metal ions - particularly aluminium, chromium, arsenic, cadmium and zinc. Sophisticated methodologies have been employed for the analyses at the gene level (transcriptomics by NGS and microarray), ion level (ionomics), metabolite level (metabolomics) and protein level (proteomics and phosphoproteomics). Five PhD and seven Honours students were trained under my primary supervision.
Complete screens of the thousands of yeast gene deletants were carried out in the past years against a range of metal ions, oxidants and the other health-related chemical compounds, and significant datasets have been obtained. Several key leads are being followed up for further understanding of molecular mechanisms in response to the exposure of adverse environmental factors, such as the protein kinase CK2 which is a prominent player in cancer development.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Wu.
- PhD University of Sydney
- Biology of Saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Metal toxicity
- Oxidative stress
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Life Sciences
- Life Sciences
|Phone:||(02) 4620 3089|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 300318 Cell Biology, 2013
- 300539 Biodiversity, 2013
- 300848 Metabolism, 2013
- 300896 Microbiology 2, 2013
- 300936 Functional Proteins and Genes, 2013
- Yang, Q., Xue, X., Zhang, Z., Wu, M., Ji, J., Wang, W., Yin, H., Li, S., Dai, H., Duan, B., Liu, Q. and Song, J. (2023), 'Clade 18.104.22.168b H5N8 subtype avian influenza viruses were identified from the common crane wintering in Yunnan Province, China', Viruses, vol 15, no 1 .
- Bekmukhametova, A., Uddin, M., Houang, J., Malladi, C., George, L., Wuhrer, R., Barman, S., Wu, M., Mawad, D. and Lauto, A. (2022), 'Fabrication and characterization of chitosan nanoparticles using the coffee-ring effect for photodynamic therapy', Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol 54, no 5 , pp 758 - 766.
- Petersingham, G., Zaman, M., Johnson, A., Reddy, N., Torres, A. and Wu, M. (2022), 'Molecular details of aluminium-amyloid ? peptide interaction by nuclear magnetic resonance', BioMetals, vol 35 , pp 759 - 769.
- Barman, S., Zaman, M., Veljanoski, F., Malladi, C., Mahns, D. and Wu, M. (2022), 'Expression profiles of the genes associated with zinc homeostasis in normal and cancerous breast and prostate cells', Metallomics, vol 14, no 8 .
- Zaman, M., Barman, S., Corley, S., Wilkins, M., Malladi, C. and Wu, M. (2021), 'Transcriptomic insights into the zinc homeostasis of MCF-7 breast cancer cells via next-generation RNA sequencing', Metallomics, vol 13, no 6 .
- Jones, C., Wu, M., Cubeddu, L. and Chuck, J. (2020), 'Engaging the online biochemistry student in asynchronous, flexible learning activities', Australian Biochemist, vol 51, no 2 , pp 27 - 28.
- Li, S., Yin, H., Ren, M., Wu, M., Huang, X., Li, J., Luan, Y. and Wu, Y. (2019), 'TRPV5 and TRPV6 are expressed in placenta and bone tissues during pregnancy in mice', Biotechnic & Histochemistry, vol 94, no 4 , pp 244 - 251.
- Zaman, M., Johnson, A., Petersingham, G., Muench, G., Dong, Q. and Wu, M. (2019), 'Protein kinase CK2 is involved in zinc homeostasis in breast and prostate cancer cells', BioMetals, vol 32, no 6 , pp 861 - 873.
- Ng, N., Wu, M. and Aldrich-Wright, J. (2018), 'The cytotoxicity of some phenanthroline-based antimicrobial copper(II) and ruthenium(II) complexes', Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol 180 , pp 61 - 68.
- Ng, N., Wu, M., Myers, S. and Aldrich-Wright, J. (2018), 'The in vitro renal cell toxicity of some unconventional anticancer phenanthroline-based platinum(II) complexes', Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol 179 , pp 97 - 106.
- Johnson, A., Zaman, M., Veljanoski, F., Phrakaysone, A., Li, S., O'Doherty, P., Petersingham, G., Perrone, G., Molloy, M. and Wu, M. (2017), 'Unravelling the role of protein kinase CK2 in metal toxicity using gene deletion mutants', Metallomics, vol 9, no 3 , pp 301 - 308.
- O'Doherty, P., Khan, A., Johnson, A., Rogers, P., Bailey, T. and Wu, M. (2017), 'Proteomic response to linoleic acid hydroperoxide in Saccharomyces cerevisiae', FEMS Yeast Research, vol 17, no 3 .
- Zaman, M., Johnson, A., Bobek, G., Kueh, S., Kersaitis, C., Bailey, T., Buskila, Y. and Wu, M. (2016), 'Protein kinase CK2 regulates metal toxicity in neuronal cells', Metallomics, vol 8, no 1 , pp 82 - 90.
- Johnson, A., Veljanoski, F., O'Doherty, P., Zaman, M., Petersingham, G., Bailey, T., Muench, G., Kersaitis, C. and Wu, M. (2016), 'Molecular insight into arsenic toxicity via the genome-wide deletion mutant screening of Saccharomces cerevisiae', Metallomics, vol 8, no 2 , pp 228 - 235.
- Johnson, A., Veljanoski, F., O'Doherty, P., Zaman, M., Petersingham, G., Bailey, T., Muench, G., Kersaitis, C. and Wu, M. (2016), 'Revelation of molecular basis for chromium toxicity by phenotypes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene deletion mutants', Metallomics, vol 8, no 5 , pp 542 - 550.
- Ng, N., Wu, M., Jones, C. and Aldrich-Wright, J. (2016), 'The antimicrobial efficacy and DNA binding activity of the copper(II) complexes of 3,4,7,8-tetramethyl-1,10-phenanthroline, 4,7-diphenyl-1,10-phenanthroline and 1,2-diaminocyclohexane', Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol 162 , pp 62 - 72.
- Johnson, A. and Wu, M. (2016), 'The new role for an old kinase : protein kinase CK2 regulates metal ion transport', Pharmaceuticals, vol 9, no 4 .
- Tun, N., Lennon, B., O'Doherty, P., Johnson, A., Petersingham, G., Bailey, T., Kersaitis, C. and Wu, M. (2015), 'Effects of metal ions and hydrogen peroxide on the phenotype of yeast hom6 mutant', Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol 60, no 1 , pp 20 - 26.
- Torres, A., Bansal, P., Koh, J., Pages, G., Wu, M. and Kuchel, P. (2014), 'Structure and antimicrobial activity of platypus 'intermediate' defensin-like peptide', FEBS Letters, vol 588, no 9 , pp 1821 - 1826.
- Wu, M., Bak, T., O'Doherty, P., Moffitt, M., Nowotny, J., Bailey, T. and Kersaitis, C. (2014), 'Photocatalysis of titanium dioxide for water disinfection : challenges and future perspectives', International Journal of Photochemistry, vol 2014 .
- Tun, N., O'Doherty, P., Chen, Z., Wu, X., Bailey, T., Kersaitis, C. and Wu, M. (2014), 'Identification of aluminium transport-related genes via genome-wide phenotypic screening of Saccharomyces cerevisiae', Metallomics, vol 6, no 8 , pp 1558 - 1564.
- O'Doherty, P., Lyons, V., Tun, N., Rogers, P., Bailey, T. and Wu, M. (2014), 'Transcriptomic and biochemical evidence for the role of lysine biosynthesis against linoleic acid hydroperoxide-induced stress in Saccharomyces cerevisiae', Free Radical Research, vol 48, no 12 , pp 1454 - 1461.
- Ng, N., Leverett, P., Hibbs, D., Yang, Q., Bulanadi, J., Wu, M. and Aldrich-Wright, J. (2013), 'The antimicrobial properties of some copper(II) and platinum(II) 1,10-phenanthroline complexes', Dalton Transactions, vol 42, no 9 , pp 3196 - 3209.
- O'Doherty, P., Lyons, V., Higgins, V., Rogers, P., Bailey, T. and Wu, M. (2013), 'Transcriptomic insights into the molecular response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae to linoleic acid hydroperoxide', Free Radical Research, vol 47, no 12 , pp 1054 - 1065.
- Tun, N., O'Doherty, P., Perrone, G., Bailey, T., Kersaitis, C. and Wu, M. (2013), 'Disulfide stress-induced aluminium toxicity : molecular insights through genome-wide screening of Saccharomyces cerevisiae', Metallomics, vol 5, no 8 , pp 1068 - 1075.
- Wang, S., Wu, M., Higgins, V. and Aldrich-Wright, J. (2012), 'Comparative analyses of cytotoxicity and molecular mechanisms between platinum metallointercalators and cisplatin', Metallomics, vol 4, no 9 , pp 950 - 959.
- Wu, M., Giersch, T., McKay, S., Schofield, P., Skylas, D., Cornish, G., Hegedus, E. and Chin, J. (2012), 'A novel hardness-related and starch granule-associated protein marker in wheat : LMW-GS-'S'', Journal of Cereal Science, vol 55, no 2 , pp 153 - 159.
- Wang, S., Higgins, V., Aldrich-Wright, J. and Wu, M. (2012), 'Identification of the molecular mechanisms underlying the cytotoxic action of a potent platinum metallointercalator', Journal of Chemical Biology, vol 5, no 2 , pp 51 - 61.
- Wu, M., Murphy, P., O'Doherty, P., Mieruszynski, S., Jones, M., Kersaitis, C., Rogers, P., Bailey, T. and Higgins, V. (2012), 'Delineation of the molecular mechanism for disulfide stress-induced aluminium toxicity', BioMetals, vol 25, no 3 , pp 553 - 561.
- Wu, M., McKay, S., Howes, N., Chin, J. and Hegedus, E. (2012), 'Identification of novel serpin isoforms and serpin polymorphisms among Australian wheat cultivars', Journal of Cereal Science, vol 55, no 2 , pp 202 - 209.
- Wu, M., McKay, S., Hegedus, E. and Chin, J. (2012), 'Proteolytic extraction enhances specific detection of the novel 'S'-type low molecular weight glutenin subunit in wheat by monoclonal antibody', Journal of Cereal Science, vol 55, no 1 , pp 53 - 60.
- Wu, M., Rogers, P. and Clarke, F. (2012), '125th anniversary review : the role of proteins in beer redox stability', Journal of Institute of Brewing, vol 118, no 1 , pp 1 - 11.
- Ravipati, A., Zhang, L., Koyyalamudi, S., Jeong, S., Reddy, N., Bartlett, J., Smith, P., Shanmugam, K., Muench, G., Wu, M., Satyanarayanan, M. and Vysetti, B. (2012), 'Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of selected Chinese medicinal plants and their relation with antioxidant content', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 12 , pp 1 - 14.
- Zhang, L., Ravipati, A., Koyyalamudi, S., Jeong, S., Reddy, N., Smith, P., Bartlett, J., Shanmugam, K., Muench, G. and Wu, M. (2011), 'Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of selected medicinal plants containing phenolic and flavonoid compounds', Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol 59, no 23 , pp 12361 - 12367.
- Wu, M., O'Doherty, P., Fernandez, H., Lyons, V., Rogers, P., Dawes, I. and Higgins, V. (2011), 'An antioxidant screening assay based on oxidant-induced growth arrest in Saccharomyces cerevisiae', FEMS Yeast Research, vol 11, no 4 , pp 379 - 387.
- Wu, M., Clarke, F., Rogers, P., Young, P., Sales, N., O'Doherty, P. and Higgins, V. (2011), 'Identification of a protein with antioxidant activity that is important for the Protection against beer ageing', International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol 12, no 9 , pp 6089 - 6103.
- Wu, M., Mckay, S., Howes, N., Hegedus, E. and Chin, J. (2011), 'Polymorphism and pedigree analysis of a-amylase isozymes in Australian wheat', Journal of Cereal Science, vol 53, no 3 , pp 362 - 370.
- Wu, M., O'Doherty, P., Murphy, P., Lyons, V., Christophersen, M., Rogers, P., Bailey, T. and Higgins, V. (2011), 'Different reactive oxygen species lead to distinct changes of cellular metal ions in the eukaryotic model organism saccharomyces cerevisiae', International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol 12, no 11 , pp 8119 - 8132.
- Giersch, T., Wu, M., Duncan, L., Zhao, X. and Chin, J. (2007), 'Detection of mutations in the 7A allele of wheat (Triticum aestivum) granule bound starch synthetrase with a Mab produced by targated peptide immunisation', Journal of Cereal Science, vol 45 , pp 162 - 171.
- Skylas, D., Cordwell, S., Craft, G., Mcinerney, B., Wu, M., Chin, J., Wrigley, C. and Sharp, P. (2005), 'Proteome analysis of two soft-grained wheats of different processing quality: cultivar-specific proteins', Australian Journal of Agricultural Research, vol 56 , pp 145 - 155.
- Ju, Y., Wu, M., Chaulet, H., Marciniec, T., Graham, R. and Allen, D. (2003), 'IGF-1 Enhances a Store-Operated Ca<sup>2+</sup> Channel in Skeletal Muscle Myoblasts: Involvement of a CD20-Like Protein', Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol 197, no 1 , pp 53 - 60.
- Phillips, P., Wu, M., Kumar, K., Doherty, E., Mccarroll, J., Park, S., Pirola, R., Wilson, J. and Apte, M. (2003), 'Cell Migration: A novel aspect of pancreatic stellate cell biology', Gut, vol 52, no 5 , pp 677 - 682.
- Phillips, P., Mccarroll, J., Park, S., Wu, M., Pirola, R., Korsten, M., Wilson, J. and Apte, M. (2003), 'Rat Pancreatic stellate cells secrete matrix metalloproteinases: implications for extracellular matrix turnover', Gut, vol 52, no NA , pp 275 - 282.
- Ju, Y., Wu, M., Chaulet, H., Marciniec, T., Graham, R. and Allen, D. (2003), 'IGF-1 enhances store-operated Ca2+ channel activity in skeletal myoblasts: possible involvement of a CD20-like protein', Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol 197, no NA , pp 53 - 60.
- Jones, C., Wu, M., Cubeddu, L. and Chuck, J. (2020), '21st century skill development in remote, on-line learning biochemistry students', Australian Conference on Science and Mathematics Education, Online.
Current research topics are:
(1) Molecular insights into aluminium toxicity in eukaryotes
(2) Phytochemistry, biological activity and anti-obesity effects of Achacha (Garcinia humulis selecto) rind
(3) Studies of the antimicrobial activity of some metal complexes in collaboration with Professor Janice Aldrich-Wright
(4) The role of zinc and protein kinase CK2 in cancer development
This information has been contributed by Doctor Wu.
|Title:||Ratios of beneficial to pathogenic bacteria in pig faeces: a measure of health or disruption to intestinal health [via NSW DPI]|
|Western Researchers:||Ming Wu|
|Years:||2013-02-01 - 2013-11-30|
|Thesis Title:||Some Studies of the Molecular and Cellular Interaction of Metallointercalators for Potential Application|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Compartmental Redox Homeostasis, the Inter-relationship Between Redox Homeostasis and Lipid Metabolism|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Investigation into the Effect of Disulfide Stress and Aluminium Ion: From Yeast, Neuron Cell to Rat Model.|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Structure-Activity Screening of Platinum Intercalators and Molecular Mechanisms for the Cytotoxicity of 56MESS - [Pt(5,6-Dimethyl-Phen)(1S,2S-DACH]2+|
|Field of Research:||Biomedical Engineering|
|Thesis Title:||A Metabolomic Investigation of Genes Important in the Production of Flavour Compounds by Saccharomyces cerevisiae|
|Field of Research:||Food Science And Biotechnology|
|Thesis Title:||Functional Genomic Analysis of Sulfur and Flavour-Related Yeast Metabolism in Wine Fermentation With and Without Fining Agents Pectin and Carrageenan|
|Field of Research:||Food Science And Biotechnology|
|Thesis Title:||The Molecular response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae to Linoleic Acid Hydroperoxide-Induced Oxidative Stress|
|Field of Research:||Natural And Physical Sciences|
|Thesis Title:||Antimicrobial Properties of some Ruthenium(II), Platinum(II), and Copper(II) Metallointercalators|
|Field of Research:||Chemical Sciences|
|Thesis Title:||The Biology Activity of some Phenanthroline Coordinated Metal Complexes|
|Field of Research:||Natural And Physical Sciences; Pharmacology; Inorganic Chemistry|
|Thesis Title:||The role of protein kinase CK2 in metal ion toxicity|
|Field of Research:||Other Health; Microbiology; Human Biology; Biochemistry And Cell Biology|