Doctor Kay Carroll
DAP - Secondary Education,
Dr Kay Carroll is a Senior Lecturer in Education and the Director of the Secondary Teaching Program, Western Sydney University. Current research and teaching interests are Curriculum and Pedagogy. She has published texts and journals in Global Education, Inquiry and Pedagogy. She is the Co-Lead for Writing in Secondary-Academic Partner, (2021-2022) with the NSW Department of Education ($389 000). She was the recipient-Western Sydney University Women’s Fellowship (2019). She was the Project Lead-Flooding in the Hawkesbury-Nepean Valley: School Geography Resource (2018-2020) in collaboration with key stakeholders, schools and teachers within the Hawkesbury-Nepean Valley ($189 000). Previously, she was a member of the Reference group that managed a $5.4 million DEEWR project to develop ICT Learning and professional accreditation (PLANE- Pathways for Learning, Anywhere, Anytime, 2011-2014) for pre-service, in-service teachers and school leaders. Dr Carroll has contributed to external accreditation for Australian Institute for Teaching & School Leadership (AITSL) and has served numerous times as a Panel Chair for NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) and as the interstate AITSL panellist.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Carroll.
- EdD Macquarie University
- MEd University of Western Sydney, Macarthur
- BA University of New South Wales
- BEd University of New South Wales
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Secondary Education
- Secondary Education
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6298|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 102086 Designing Teaching and Learning, 2021
- 102087 Secondary Curriculum 1A, 2021
- 102088 Secondary Curriculum 1B, 2021
- 102090 Secondary Curriculum 2A, 2021
- 102091 Secondary Curriculum 2B, 2021
- 102159 Designing Curriculum Futures, 2021
Chapters in Books
- Humphries, J., Carroll, K. and Varkey, J. (2023), 'The importance of data in teaching and learning', Work-Integrated Learning Case Studies in Teacher Education: Epistemic Reflexivity, Springer 9789811965319.
- Carroll, K. (2015), 'It takes a global village : re-conceptualising global education within current frameworks of school and curricula', Contesting and Constructing International Perspectives in Global Education, Sense 9789462099883.
- Carroll, K. (2015), 'Going global', Contesting and Constructing International Perspectives in Global Education, Sense 9789462099883.
- Sun, W., Han, J., Curry, C. and Carroll, K. (2023), 'Pedagogy in teaching through English medium instruction : academics' cases in a Chinese university', Sustainability, vol 15, no 14 .
- Nketsia, W. and Carroll, K. (2023), 'Foreign language pre-service teachers' perceptions of concerns before and challenges experienced during the first teaching practicum', Heliyon, vol 9, no 7 .
- Carroll, K. and Littlejohn, K. (2022), 'Re-thinking historical consciousness in a pandemic : from commemoration to contestability', Curriculum Journal, vol 33, no 2 , pp 222 - 237.
- Carroll, K. (2020), 'Exploring historical consciousness with Australian school children', Historical Encounters, vol 7, no 3 , pp 33 - 47.
- Carroll, K. (2018), 'Mapping the hidden discourse of geographical inquiry and curriculum change : initial case study responses to geography education K-10 in Australian Schools', Journal of International Social Studies, vol 8, no 1 , pp 133 - 148.
- 2023, 'Writing in Secondary Academic Partners', Report
- 2020, 'Teaching Resource on Flooding in the Hawkesbury-Nepean Valley: Assessing the Impact on Student Learning', Report
|Title:||Flooding in the Hawkesbury-Nepean Valley: School Geography Resource|
|Western Researchers:||Kay Carroll, Kathryn Holmes, Nathan Berger, Erin Mackenzie and Basant Maheshwari|
|Years:||2018-12-03 - 2020-02-28|
|Title:||Writing in Secondary Academic Partner|
|Western Researchers:||Kay Carroll, Christina Curry, Erin Mackenzie and Rachael Jacobs|
|Years:||2021-06-01 - 2022-10-12|
|Title:||Improving the Drinking Culture in Australia [via Macquarie University]|
|Western Researchers:||Kathryn Holmes, Kay Carroll, Christina Curry and Brenda Dobia|
|Years:||2018-12-18 - 2022-12-31|
|Thesis Title:||Haptic History: Heads, Hands and Hearts|
|Field of Research:||Education|
|Thesis Title:||Development of activity-based language learning of Chinese for a Primary School in Western Sydney: A Participatory Action Research study|
|Field of Research:||Curriculum And Education Studies; Education|